Reports to: Country Director
Supervises: Field Managers and Associate Field Managers
Start date: September 2020
Contract Duration: 6 months’ contract (with the possibility of extension
The Program Manager (PM) will own the overall enrolment process for field operations, including driving & tracking performance of field teams; achieving targets; building a culture of mentorship and professional development; and identifying opportunities for risk mitigation and process improvement. The PM will serve as the key “eyes and ears” resource on the ground for the Country Director and will be responsible for regularly synthesizing updates on operational health. The role will have significant responsibility and a high degree of autonomy in creating and managing a large team.
Project Management: The PM will be responsible for managing all aspects of ground operations:
- Set and own quantifiable targets like households enrolled and operational efficiency.
- Serve as the organization’s engine for continuous improvement of the enrolment process and recipient experience.
- Over time, reduce dependence on senior management and create more leverage for the Country Director through capacity-building and delegation.
Vision & Critical Thinking: The PM will be expected to be a strong contributor to the overall vision of the country office, engaging with the Country Director in-country problem-solving.
- Conceive, develop and test new protocols and methods prior to overseeing scale up.
- Anticipate areas of risk and create mitigation plans (e.g. coordination on complex research partnerships, slow-downs from pilots, etc.).
People Management: The PM will be expected to oversee a performance-oriented culture within your team (your reports and their reports), with all staff receiving feedback and development opportunities to achieve their potential.
- Hire, train and manage field staff.
- Run performance reviews for direct reports and build their capacity to do the same.
- Identify and coach high-potential field staff to grow on a quick promotion trajectory.
- Identify gaps in the org chart and propose solutions to the Country Director.
Data and Analysis: The PM will be expected to be comfortable using data to track performance, and inform decision-making, and to quickly build expertise within GD’s standard beneficiary data management and survey tools.
- Lead survey creation and updates for new and existing projects
- Guide and support reports on data inquiries, skill development, and data analysis
- Work effectively with GD’s global data team (framing needs and expectations, and holding self and others accountable to agreed timelines)
- Meet the GD “bar” for online communication responsiveness (slack, email, phone)
- Present effectively to the management team (focusing on key insights, etc.)
- Communicate concisely and clearly across a variety of forms (written, presenting, verbal)
Support for auxiliary projects:
- Assist Country Director with hosting journalists, donors, and other external parties
- Assist Country Director with communicating and executing new projects/pilots/technologies (e.g. brainstorming options for community-based targeting, rolling out mobile app questions, etc.)
Team-building / morale:
- Monitor team dynamics and own follow-up on barometer activities
- Identify opportunities for morale-building (e.g. retreats, team events, incentive schemes, etc.)
- Demonstrated success in a high-performance work environment
- Exceptional leadership ability with demonstrated success in motivating and developing junior staff
- Strong interest in advancing the values and mission of GiveDirectly
- Exceptional communication, organizational, and analytical skills, including a high level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- At least 2-3 years of management experience, preferably managing managers
- Excitement about owning challenging management tasks, including mentoring and motivating direct reports and the broader field team
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly independent and self-directed manner, while effectively communicating upwardly about gaps and risks
- Ability to manage day-to-day operations while simultaneously building a more robust, efficient system
go to method of application »
Reports to: HR Manager
Start date: September 2020
Contract Duration: 6 months’ contract (with the possibility of extension)
The Human Resource Administrator will be a key member of the Human Resource team. The role is responsible for the day-to-day management of personnel, communications, and policy administration. Your role will be extremely important as you will be developing programs to improve performance, engagement and satisfaction of our employees.
- Contribute to the development, implementation and training of core HR initiatives
- Develop annual work plans for specific HR initiatives e.g. performance management program design
- Provide support to employees in various HR-related topics such as leaves and compensation and resolve any issues that may arise
- Assist in the development of policies, guidelines, and tools to support managers throughout an employees life cycle
- Enhance job satisfaction by resolving issues promptly, applying new perks and benefits and organizing team building activities;
- Keep our dynamic HR records well organized and up to date at all times.
- Gather and analyze data with useful HR metrics, like time to hire and employee turnover rates
- Keep abreast with new trends and best practices in the field
- Ensure that HR practices are in compliance with current laws and regulations
- Conduct periodic HR audits, prepare and present reports.
- Minimum 3 years generalist HR experience preferably gained within the NGO sector
- Relevant post graduate degree in HR or a related field of study is an added advantage
- Member of IHRM with a HR practicing licence
- Prior experience in HR operations and knowledge of best practices
- Familiarity with current employment laws and regulations and their application
- Hands on experience with HR software (HRIS)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency in G-suite will be an added advantage