As Global Director, HSE, you will build and manage KOKO’s safety & environmental strategy, systems, and policies across all operating countries to ensure regulatory requirements are met. You will also partner with country business units to share expertise and ensure adherence to the highest standards of team and category safety.
What You Will Do
- Build KOKO’s HSE strategy and culture: develop and embed a culture of prioritizing team, category, and environmental health and safety into all KOKO operations, as well as ensure a safety lens is taken in the launch of new geographies and new categories
- Design and refine HSE plans: create, refine, and audit company-wide HSE policies and practices, while promoting high awareness and strong buy-in across the organization
- Ensure regulatory compliance: develop scorecards, tracking systems, and monitoring plans to ensure operations comply with local and international standards and regulations
- Manage local HSE teams: hire, manage, and mentor HSE department heads in country business units and interface with country MDs and other key stakeholders to ensure safety remains a core value in all business units
- Ensure team safety: identify top risks to employee, contractor, and agent health and safety and generate mitigation plans tailored to each operating environment
- Ensure category safety: identify top risks from each business category (currently, liquid fuel and non-perishable FMCGs) and support design and implementation of protocols to minimize risks and likelihood of customer impact
- Lead internal OSH efforts: oversee and support the employee-led Occupational Safety & Health (OSH) Committees, aimed at raising accountability for HSE across the enterprise and giving voice to team and category safety risks that may not otherwise receive sufficient attention
What You Will Bring To KOKO
- University degree in relevant field, such as Engineering or Business (Master’s preferred)
- 15+ years of experience in a related field, with a demonstrated track record of success
- 8+ years of management experience building and mentoring teams
- Domain expertise with health, safety, and environmental management, ideally in at least one of our existing business categories (liquid fuels or FMCGs)
- In-depth knowledge of industry codes and standards in emerging markets (ideally Africa and/or India)
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, high-growth environment, ideally with prior experience at a growth-stage startup or multinational corporate
- Aptitude for cross-functional management, including ability to identify activities that matter most and keep teams focused on delivering top priorities on-time and to the highest standard
- Excellent critical analytical thinking and communications skills
- Ownership mindset and comfort in a fast-paced, growth-stage startup environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to bridge gaps across cultures and backgrounds
- Deep network of colleagues and partners who would be eager to join you at KOKO or support our growth efforts
- Unquestionable integrity and ability to embed company culture and values within teams
go to method of application »
As KOKO grows within and outside Kenya, our team is looking for experienced DevOps engineers to join the Site Reliability Engineering Team, whose mission is to ensure KOKO delivers a highly reliable, scalable, secure, and cost-effective cloud platform to its users.
Your role will require you to lead on operations activities relating to these areas and be responsible for their successful ongoing execution. You will keep a watchful eye on our systems’ capacity and performance, eliminate operational work through automation and build infrastructure monitoring and management tools. KOKO’s suite of products spans multiple technical domains and disciplines in software and hardware, and so experience in end-to-end systems thinking across distributed components is key to enabling KOKO’s expansion within and outside of Kenya.
What you will do
KOKO’s current technology stack includes (but is not limited to): AWS, Docker, Terraform, Jenkins, CircleCI, Ansible, Python, Flask, Vue.js, Postgres, Kotlin, Java, Firebase, C++, Celery, Message Queues, Odoo ERP, Git
- Lead small teams and projects to build tools and software to manage cloud infrastructure and applications.
- Own production environments and develop a holistic view of system health for the benefit of your own and other teams, troubleshooting any part of supported services when needed.
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to manage deployment and monitoring of all KOKO’s distributed software applications, ensuring systems are available at all times.
- Measure and optimise system performance, to staying ahead of customer needs
- Design and apply best practices in the areas of secure cloud design patterns, automated security, CI/CD across KOKO’s teams and projects, helping others to deliver their solutions more effectively.
- Collect and analyse metrics to make recommendations for performance improvements and fault findings.
- Participate in system design reviews, infrastructure management and capacity planning.
- Establish and implement administrative and operational best practices for engineering teams
- Detect abnormalities in performance and proactively address issues before they impact our customers
- Be on-call to manage high priority issues when needed, in collaboration with other engineering team members via our incident response processes.
- Participate in building the engineering culture at KOKO.
What You Will Bring to KOKO
- Five or more years of experience working with SRE and/or DevOps and/or cloud teams.
- Python and shell scripting experience.
- Strong track record designing and delivering automated toolchains and secure cloud patterns.
- Experience with Infrastructure as code and APM tools.
- Experience in the following areas: enterprise application and service based architectures, software design methods, CI/CD, cyber security, process automation, QA and test automation, and highly scalable data architectures.
- Understanding of Linux operating system, networking, and databases
- Strong understanding of principles and practices to be applied to excel at this role.
- Well developed skills in designing and building for performance, reliability, security and maintainability.
- Strong communicator, both written and verbal, who is calm and decisive under pressure.
- Empathy for your colleagues, encouraging team members to think creatively while knowing where to intervene to tackle tough problems and navigate conflicts.
- We use AWS extensively and so, certifications with cloud technologies is a bonus.
go to method of application »
In this position, you’ll have the opportunity to contribute to many customer and internal facing products. KOKO’s suite of products spans multiple technical domains and disciplines in software and hardware, and so experience in end-to-end systems thinking across distributed components is key for this role.
What you will do
- Work closely with internal and external customers to understand technology requirements for key projects
- Evaluate application architectures and design performance test plans
- Establish performance test objectives, acceptance criteria, workload profiles and use case scenarios
- Measure and analyze performance data (workload, system and application)
- Solve complex problems and provide clear and concise reports with recommendations
- Collaborate cross-functionally with business users, product managers, project managers and other engineers to define, design, scope and underload and make recommendations to improve performance, reliability and stability
- Participate in building the engineering culture at KOKO
KOKO’s technology stack currently includes (but is not limited to) AWS, Python, Flask, Vue.js, Postgres, Kotlin, Java, C++, Celery, Message Queues, Odoo ERP, Docker, Jenkins, bitbucket
What You Will Bring to KOKO
- At least four years experience performance testing applications at enterprise scale using the front and back end technologies in our stack
- Ability to translate products and services into non-functional requirements categorising into load, stress,
- Ability to performance test and ensure robust and scalable services using Jmeter, Blazemeter, LoadRunner and the likes
- Familiarity with Cloud/ SaaS architectures, performance testing of microservices, web and mobile applications at scale
- Strong understanding of monitoring and profiling tools like grafana, AWS cloud watch, SumoLogic, New Relic
- Experience with source control and continuous integration tools (We use GIT and Jenkins)
- Worked in an Agile multi-functional team
- Thrive in an environment that requires you to partner with multiple cross-functional teams as stakeholders/customers
- Excellent oral and written communication skill