Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
This company was formerly known as SmartCook Energy. Last-mile energy networks for Africa's cities. Smarter commerce for urban Africa.
Unique rich media delivery platforms.
Our mission is to improve life for everyone in Africa’s cities.
As KOKO grows within and outside Kenya, our team is looking for experienced DevOps engineers to join the Site Reliability Engineering Team, whose mission is to ensure KOKO delivers a highly reliable, scalable, secure, and cost-effective cloud platform to its users.
Your role will require you to lead on operations activities relating to these areas and be responsible for their successful ongoing execution. You will keep a watchful eye on our systems’ capacity and performance, eliminate operational work through automation and build infrastructure monitoring and management tools. KOKO’s suite of products spans multiple technical domains and disciplines in software and hardware, and so experience in end-to-end systems thinking across distributed components is key to enabling KOKO’s expansion within and outside of Kenya.
What you will do
KOKO’s current technology stack includes (but is not limited to): AWS, Docker, Terraform, Jenkins, CircleCI, Ansible, Python, Flask, Vue.js, Postgres, Kotlin, Java, Firebase, C++, Celery, Message Queues, Odoo ERP, Git
- Lead small teams and projects to build tools and software to manage cloud infrastructure and applications.
- Own production environments and develop a holistic view of system health for the benefit of your own and other teams, troubleshooting any part of supported services when needed.
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to manage deployment and monitoring of all KOKO’s distributed software applications, ensuring systems are available at all times.
- Measure and optimise system performance, to staying ahead of customer needs
- Design and apply best practices in the areas of secure cloud design patterns, automated security, CI/CD across KOKO’s teams and projects, helping others to deliver their solutions more effectively.
- Collect and analyse metrics to make recommendations for performance improvements and fault findings.
- Participate in system design reviews, infrastructure management and capacity planning.
- Establish and implement administrative and operational best practices for engineering teams
- Detect abnormalities in performance and proactively address issues before they impact our customers
- Be on-call to manage high priority issues when needed, in collaboration with other engineering team members via our incident response processes.
- Participate in building the engineering culture at KOKO.
What You Will Bring to KOKO
- Five or more years of experience working with SRE and/or DevOps and/or cloud teams.
- Python and shell scripting experience.
- Strong track record designing and delivering automated toolchains and secure cloud patterns.
- Experience with Infrastructure as code and APM tools.
- Experience in the following areas: enterprise application and service based architectures, software design methods, CI/CD, cyber security, process automation, QA and test automation, and highly scalable data architectures.
- Understanding of Linux operating system, networking, and databases
- Strong understanding of principles and practices to be applied to excel at this role.
- Well developed skills in designing and building for performance, reliability, security and maintainability.
- Strong communicator, both written and verbal, who is calm and decisive under pressure.
- Empathy for your colleagues, encouraging team members to think creatively while knowing where to intervene to tackle tough problems and navigate conflicts.
- We use AWS extensively and so, certifications with cloud technologies is a bonus.