Franciscan Brothers Baraka Agriculture College Farm is one of the Income Generating units of the College.
The objectives of the farm are:
- To generate income and contribute to the college financial sustainability
- To be a practical resources for education and training on good agricultural practices and farm Business
- Providing practical training space/ground for students and interns.
- Producing adequate and wide range of high-quality farm produce to cater for BAC
- Foodstuff and supply to Baraka agriculture Green Market
- Developing and implementing approved farm plans.
- Developing and implementing of quality assurance framework
- Managing and developing production employees in their units to achieve established goals of safety, environmental performance, production volumes, quality, service and cost.
- Ensuring production employees in their units are properly oriented and trained.
- Developing and implementing continuous improvement within their units employees’ performance through regular feedback, coaching and training.
- Ensuring that their units are enhancing the college’s spirit of excellence,profitability and sustainability.
- Reviewing, analyzing and making recommendations regarding safety, environmental performance, quality, profitability, expenses, productivity, and customer feedback.
- Developing and/or implementing sectional reporting as required.
- Managing and controlling the unit’s production budget.
- Maintaining a high standard of professional knowledge, ethics and practices when dealing with customers, suppliers, peers, support staff, line managers and other key stakeholders of Baraka Agriculture College.
- Conducting oneself in a professional manner that reflects integrity and respect towards customers, suppliers, peers, support staff, line managers and other key stakeholders of BAC.
- Understanding, supporting and adhering to the college’s health and safety policies,programs and procedures by communicating and promoting health and safety awareness to coworkers and support staff.
- Liaising with the colleges’ auditors/appointed auditors in conducting the college’s quarterly inventory count.
- Giving specifications for raw materials complying to quality standards for processing.
- Keeping records and observing quality of the products.
- Maintaining machines and equipment.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Diploma in Farm management/sustainable Agriculture/General Agriculture and 2 years’ experience in Farm Management or certificate in Farm management/sustainable Agriculture/General Agriculture and 3 years’ experience in Farm Management
- Sound knowledge and demonstrable success of providing leadership in a production environment.
- Effective team builder with demonstrated abilities
- Proven experience of coordinating business direction.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate all levels of personnel.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Highly motivated and self-driven.
- Managing and measuring key performance indicators. Clearly assigns responsibility for tasks and decisions; Sets clear objectives and measures; Monitors processes,progress and results;
- Designs feedback loops into work.
- Driving for results by being bottom-line oriented; Continuously using self and others for results; Can be counted on to meet and exceed goals successfully.
- Developing Direct Reports and others
- Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments: Holds frequent development and feedback discussions: Understands each person’s goals and ambitions: Constructs compelling development plans and executes them: Pushes People to accept development moves, takes on those who need help and further development; and is a People builder.
- Directing others – Good at establishing clear directions and ensuring they are understood; lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintains two dialogues with others on work and results.
- Building effective teams – Defines success in terms of the whole team, shares wins and success, creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; Lets people finish and be responsible for their work.
- Problem solving – Looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answer, using rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions;
- Probes all fruitful sources for answers, and sees hidden problems and is excellent athonest analysis.
- Informing – Provides the information people need to know in order to do their jobs and to feel good about being a member of the team of the production unit; Provides Individuals with timely information so that they can make accurate decisions.
- Articulating the strengths and limitations of people inside and outside the college; isa good judge of talent; can accurately predict what people are likely to do across a variety of situations.
- Keeping updated records of all enterprises in the farm.
go to method of application »
Background Information: Organic farming is a type of agriculture that relies on different techniques such as crop rotation, green manure, compost, and biological pest control.
Fertilizers and pesticides can be used by organic farmers only if they are considered natural, so this excludes any synthetically made fertilizers or pesticides, plant growth regulators, hormones, antibiotics, and genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
Organic farms can produce anything that a non-organic farm can such as vegetables, beef, pork, eggs, corn, milk, and much more. There are also organizations like SLO (Sustainable Local Organic) Farmers’ Cooperative, that consist of organic farmers in the area that pool together their products to compete with larger production agriculture
Job Description: Baraka Agriculture College Farm is one of the income generating units that practice organic farming for training and selling of organic products.
We are currently looking for an Organic Section Operation Officer.
As an organic section operation officer you will be responsible for the efficiency and growth of production plans. Our production starts from the seed and continues until our high quality product is sold. You will manage casual laborers and must ensure that they are effective and follow farm and safety standards.
- Extensive experience and a proven track record with organic production minimum of 2 years
- Experience in Harvesting skills of the organic produce/products
- Experience in creating operation and production Budget and working within budget parameters
- Experience in full scope of Organic Crops from Seed to Sale
- Good people skills with the ability to learn and teach financial analysis, planning, recordkeeping, and labor management skills
- Ability to encourage and motivate people working in organic section
- Knowledge of soil and nutrient management, crop rotation and succession planting, plant pathology, pest and weed management and post harvesting handling
- Supervisory Experience
- Organized and Multi-tasking oriented.
- Ability to contribute ideas on how to expand and diversify the operation
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficiency with computer skills (Excel, Word, Email)
- Ability to make independent decisions
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Operate daily, and weekly production plans that increase efficiency and productivity
- Track daily labor and product yields.
- Verify accuracy and quality of product
- Troubleshoot operation and quality issues
- Monitor organic sites on daily basis; track soil health and water quality
- Oversee equipment handling and organize repairs and maintenance
- Responsible for Department Budget
- Responsible for Organic Crops from Seed to Sale
- Working closely with other enterprise heads
- Other duties as assigned
- Oversee daily operations in the organic livestock production
- Ensure sufficient supply to college kitchen and green market on daily basis
- Diploma in organic farming with 2 years of working experience in organic farm or certificate in SARD or General Agriculture with 3 years of working experience in an organic farm.
- The person MUST have passion for organic farming.
Our Ideal candidate will have an extensive production background, with knowledge of Organic crop management; including soil, crop rotation, succession planting, weed management, harvesting, livestock management etc. She/he must work well with people, have great problem solving skills, and knows how to motivate others.
Applications including relevant testimonials and salary expectations should be addressed to the undersigned to reach Baraka Agriculture College NOT LATER THAN 3.00pm on FRIDAY 15TH January, 2021.
The Human Resource Manager
Baraka Agriculture College
P.O Box 52-20106 Molo.
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]