About the team
Research and Development is responsible for creating and improving products and technologies to enable the profitable conversion of organic wastes into valuable byproducts. We take ideas from the whiteboard to the factory floor; as a team we are involved in ideation and design, product testing, trialling and transfer of technology into Operations.
In the R&D Improve team, we focus on developing our existing product lines and improving volume, quality and cost with process and product changes.
Sanergy has just finished construction of a large scale waste treatment facility capable of converting organic wastes into insect protein, organic fertilizer and briquettes. We have been successfully rearing the black soldier fly (BSF), using the larvae to convert wastes into valuable proteins and frass. The protein is high quality, capable of replacing fishmeal as more sustainable protein input closing the loop. Now, we want to create even more value from this process by improving volume, cost and quality with formulation and process improvements.
- Drive process development through R&D: to optimise a unit process within the BSF technology platform, focusing on improving yields, health and overall performance
- Lead R&D BSF projects: work with R&D manager to develop project scope, timeline and risk management plans for your workstream
- Test and trial: conduct bench and pilot scale research to determine feasibility and capability of new project ideas. Test new products in the field, and with customers.
- Land new specifications in factory: Complete trials, equipment scoping, handover documentation and training for Operations team
- Keep at the cutting edge: Conduct regular literature reviews, competition/peer engagements and process data reviews to remain up to date in composting and bioconversion technology, and generate further research leads
- Maintain product and process specifications: Own and develop specifications for products and processes
- Tie your work to the business: Perform cost/benefit analyses to determine marginal profitability of improvements
What can you expect?
In this role you will be leading the improvement of a core product line in Sanergy’s product portfolio, working on improving a process that truly embodies the circular economy. You will be interacting across multiple functions to land changes into a process where even small changes have massive impact. You will have regular opportunities to present your work to senior leadership. You will be challenged to deliver ambitious results – and experience both professional and technical growth as you succeed. Your work is both highly technical and highly practical – for example: prepare to do highly technical trial design in the morning, and be out in the field in the afternoon, checking on your work.
Who are we looking for?
Skills, Qualifications & Experience
- Degree in Science- or Engineering-related field
- Advantageous: experience with BSF rearing or similar processes, experience with bioconversion processes; practical experience converting organic wastes into valuable products
- Proficiency with Office suite tools or equivalent especially in Excel skills: you have used Excel or an equivalent tool to collect and analyse data, build models
- Proficiency in experimental and trial design, working knowledge of statistics: you know your way around standard metrics, and how to set up controlled experiments, especially in production environments
- Strong problem-solving skills: you have shown the ability to abstract and solve ambiguous, challenging problems
- Effective time management, organizational, and prioritization skills: you have demonstrable ability to manage projects and use basic project management skills
- Attention to detail: you have shown that you are thorough, detail-oriented, don’t make assumptions, check and validate yours and others’ work, you catch typos and errors
- Clear communication: you capture your thoughts and theories in writing, you write great emails, you communicate at the right level to the right audience, you use formatting and templates to highlight key information, you use pictures, graphs and visuals to communicate complex topics effectively
go to method of application »
We currently seek a Maintenance Engineer Associate to join our team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Hands on maintenance of machinery
- Provide support in the resolution of breakdowns
- Develop and update Standard Maintenance Procedures
- Liaise with the supervisor in the implementation of the problem solving tools
- Implement corrective and preventive actions within the allocated timelines
- Conduct RCA on all breakdowns”
- Share daily reports on maintenance activities for all assets
- Ensure all maintenance issues are logged
- Propose improvements to the manager
- Calculate and track MTBF and MTTR for all equipment
- Refine AM and PM schedules to improve equipment reliability”
- Coordinate with the requesting teams in conducting Preventive Maintenance and resolving Breakdowns
- Coordinate with the requesting teams in conducting operator assessments and training
- Proactively contributing to conflict resolution through open and honest discussions, reporting unresolved conflict to your Supervisor or Talent Partner
- Maintain a cordial working relationship with teammates”
- Work with existing vendors within the established relationship
- Suggest new vendors to the manager or supervisor”
- Develop a monthly and weekly schedule for operator and technician assessments and training.
- Refine AM and PM schedules to improve equipment reliability
- Share ideas on how to standardize and improve maintenance data
- Share ideas on how to improve maintenance processes
- Implement improvement ideas and share feedback.
- Escalate in advance when facing blocks. “
- Keeping track of the maintenance expenses for all assets
- Ask questions and listen to items escalated by the operators in order to understand issues with the assets
- Provide feedback to operators on usage of assets
- Ask for feedback from stakeholders (operators and managers) to improve the maintenance performance”
- Execute tasks within the existing processes and policies
- Share a report of team failures and learning derived from them
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Automotive Engineering
- Minimum 3 years experience in a similar role
- Experience maintaining the following; SAME tractors, Toyota forklifts, Hino trucks, Mutsubishi trucks, Isuzu trucks and Generators (Perkins)
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
To apply, please submit a cover letter clearly indicating your available start date (include notice period), your interest in this role, and your resume/CV that includes a list of three referees. Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and that the roles would be based in Kinanie(Machakos) and Kilifi counties.
Interested and qualified? Go to Sanergy on aws.saner.gy