Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world's environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief, Human Resources Section, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks
- Research and prepare story ideas, ensuring a stream of new content for all Human Resources communications products.
- Create and upload content to UNEPs Intranet platform.
- Actively liaise within the Human Resources Section to ensure that colleagues are alerted to opportunities and key moments of communication campaigns.
- Write articles, interviews, and short pieces for circulars, email campaigns, and other internal communication pieces (e.g. press releases, publications, social media posts).
- Provide coordination in the execution of the Human Resources Section’s key events and activities, including those related to the training portfolio.
- Support training initiatives by providing presentations, facilitating face-to-face or virtual training events and creating job aids, fact sheets, how-to videos, and other learning products as required. Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take an active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- Candidate must be a national of a country other than the country of assignment.
- 3 years of experience in communications and/or client relations required;
- Strong client relations and communication skills to work with a range of colleagues and clients;
- Presentation and event management skills;
- Excellent communication abilities (oral and written);
- Willing to take on different tasks and responsibilities as required;
- Proficient in MS Office; familiarity with video and social collaboration software is a plus;
- Strong attention to detail.
go to method of application »
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes and procedures. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A minimum of four years of relevant working experience in general office support, administration or related area is required.
- Experience in the UN common system or similar international organization is desirable.
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Systems is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in written and oral English is required. Working knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.