If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
ARTICLE 19 defends freedom of expression and information. Established in 1987, ARTICLE 19 fights for all hostages of censorship, defends dissenting voices that have been muzzled, and campaigns against laws and practices that silence. We take our name from article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which states: "Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive, and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."
The purpose of the role is to improve the financial sustainability of the organisation by developing and writing grant proposals to governments, multi-lateral organisations and foundations,identifying opportunities for the organisation to diversify its funding streams and increase its income capacity;and to ensure that the impact of ARTICLE 19 Eastern Africa’s work is identified, captured, shared,learned from and communicated to key internal and external stakeholders.
About The Role
The role is responsible for assembling and submitting grant requests’ establish and maintain personal contact and relationships with foundations and government contacts, conduct prospect research,and maintain a calendar of submission sand other deadlines.
Also develop and implement monitoring and evaluation systems to effectively plan,implement,capture,analyse and report the impact of the organization’s programmatic work.
You will be required to work closely with programme managers to enhance our entire project planning cycle to improve the effectiveness and quality of our work and the
production of timely and high quality evidence-based reporting. This work will not only allow us to meet increasing donor demands,but also to provide key information that will enable us to make better inform ed resource decisions.
Responsibilities for the Programme Officer Jobs
- Contribute to an organisational fundraising strategy for grant-based income to support the overall strategic aims and objectives of the organisation.
- Based on the strategy, identify fundraising targets through prospect research and recommend potential funding opportunities.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with existing and potential foundations and funders.
- WorkcloselywiththefundraisingofficerinLondonandprogramstaffintosupportthe development of fundraising proposals in keeping with the overall strategy.
- Lead on the development and production of grant proposals in the regional Office; persuasively communicating the organisation’s mission and programs to potential funders;
- Coordinate with relevant staff all application activities, including planning, writing, document gathering,communications and final submissions.
- Work with programmes and finance staff to develop accurate budget information for all proposal applications.
- Manage final submission,ensuring that all required paper work is fully compliant with applications requirements and is submitted in a timely manner.
- Design and manage a database to ensure all contacts and submissions are fully documented for reference purposes.
- Maintain a calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposal deadlines,and reports • Follow up on all application submissions and gather feedback so as to continuously improve the effectiveness of fundraising operations.
Develop the M&E systems and lead in its implementation
- Develop a regional M&E system including a logical framework for the organisation. Lead the technical design of M&E methodologies and tools that allow accurate, reliable information to be collected and reported against.
- Ensure that M&E tools and processes are understood and used consistently across the organisation and identify where changes of the current M&E practices might be needed.
- Develop ToRs for M&E surveys, mid-term and final project evaluations and coordinate external evaluations.
- Lead on the identification of case studies and lessons learned,and support the team to act upon these lessons and to share them with others both within and beyond ARTICLE19.
- Strengthen organisational planning to ensure that past project performance is considered as part of project design and delivery.
- Ensure programmes and projects proposed are based on clear theories of change, draw up on the monitoring framework and reflect lessons learned
- Lead in evidence collection,analysis and internal and external reporting.
- Implement and maintain a quarterly reporting mechanism that serves organisational requirements for internal and external audiences.
- Guide programme staff in preparing and analysing their quarterly reports and evidence collection.
- Lead on reviewing, analysing and synthesising reports and monitoring evidence reported by all programmes on a quarterly basis.
- Guide programme staff on linking results with activities,quality of evidence,project performance and recommendations for any adjustments or improvements.
- Ensure information from reports and evidence are documented for reporting and learning
Produce the regional office’s annual report.
- LeadtheproductionoftheannualreportincollaborationwiththeCommunications team at the International office.
Conducting internal interviews and research related to the annual report to determine which objectives were met and what were the barriers to achieving objectives and goals
- Lead external research related to the annual report to find positive news stories about the organisation in collaboration with programme staff.
- Write the annual report using gathered research, internal quarterly reports and project reports and ensure that reported facts are appropriately backed up by research and evidence.
- Collaboratewiththecommunicationsteamtoensurethattheannualreportconveys the look,feel,tone and brand of the organisation.
Experience Required fro the Programme Officer Job
- 7+ years experience in managing technical digitally-oriented projects;
- Substantial experience with human rights, particularly freedom of expression and information;
- Experience of working with local and international rights-based organisations;
- Experience of writing for digital platforms;
- Experience of building digital tools and platforms;
- Experience of working on internet governance issues;
- Demonstrated successful experience of strategic planning, fundraising and project management;
- Proven capacity to understand and anticipate the need for change management and experience of delivering effective frameworks to plan and manage the continuous process of change.
Skills and abilities
- A doer – this post requires extensive hands-on work and an ability to deliver tangible outputs;
- Ability to multitask working quickly and effectively;
- Ability to work on own initiative and to play a leading role on digital issues within an organisation;
- Ability to work under pressure and manage time effectively;
- Ability to communicate complex topics in an accessible manner to a broad audience;
- Ability to work in multi-cultural and multi-linguistic workplace;
- Excellent written and spoken English; knowledge of at least one other language is highly desirable (particularly
- French, Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic)
- A commitment to excellent performance and a practical understanding of how to promote shared learning and innovation across diverse regions;
- Good interpersonal and advocacy skills with a range of actors.
- Educated to degree standard essential with a post-graduate qualification desirable;
- Knowledge of human rights and/or key freedom of expression issues, internet governance and digital technology essential;
- Knowledge of digital technology that can be used to enhance the work of a campaigning and advocacy organisation.
- Cultural sensitivity and commitment to equal opportunities;
- Experience of working in other countries within the region;
- Willingness to work outside normal working hours including weekends and evenings;
Method of Application
Interested candidates should send a covering letter highlighting how they meet the person specification and a CV to: email@example.com Closing date for receipt of applications: 14th December, 2016 Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted