Project Support Officer Job at International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Posted on: 15 December, 2016
Deadline: 26 December, 2016
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at International Organization for Mi
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
- Under the overall supervision of the Senior Regional Programme Manager (Migration Management) direct supervision of the Regional Mixed Migration Project Coordinator and in coordination with the Regional Thematic Specialist for Migrants Assistance, the incumbent will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the IOM component of the GIZ Better Migration Management Programme and the Regional Mixed Migration Project, with a specific focus on project development, resource mobilisation, monitoring and reporting.
- The Better Migration Management Project is a regional, multi-year, multi-partner project funded by the EU Trust Fund for Africa, and managed by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). IOM is one the main implementing partners for the project along with UNODC, Expertise France, Italian State Police, CIVIPOL and the British Council.
- The two year project runs , and will be implemented in the following countries – Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan.
- The BMM programme takes a regional approach and aims to provide capacity building to improve migration management, in particular to prevent and address irregular migration, including smuggling of migrants and trafficking in human beings. The intervention logic is based on four components: (1) support for policy and legislative development and harmonization for better migration and border governance (2) capacity building in the form of training, technical
- assistance and the provision of appropriate equipment to those implementing migration related policies; (3) support to the identification, assistance and protection of migrants in need; and (4) awareness-raising with regards to alternative livelihood options, including safe migration.
- Within the four components mentioned above IOM has a lead role in the following sub components of the project: Policy: Comprehensive national migration policies / strategies are adopted in line with international and regional frameworks on migration management.
- Border Management/Capacity Building: Governments have improved capacities in integrated border management in place, in accordance with relevant principles of international law.
- Protection: Mechanisms for identification and referral of Victims of Trafficking (VoT), refugees and vulnerable smuggled migrants are strengthened in the region; The availability of appropriate facilities providing specialized services to VoT and vulnerable migrants is increased in accordance with applicable international human rights standards; and Opportunities for voluntary return and reintegration are enhanced in the region, in full respect of applicable international standards and the non-refoulement principle.
- Within the Protection component the IOM BMM project will work in partnership with the Regional Mixed Migration project which started in 2009, it is currently in its 7th annual phase. Within the East and Horn of Africa the Regional Mixed Migration Project (MM) operates in Ethiopia, Djibouti, and Somalia and works in partnership with national governments to (a) provide direct emergency assistance to migrants; (b) develop relevant policies and programmes; (c) build capacity of government and civil society on issues related mixed migration (d) raise awareness public awareness on the risks and dangers of irregular migration; and (e) strengthen regional cooperation and coordination through the Regional Committee on Mixed Migration.
- Core Functions / Responsibilities: Support the development of new proposals in the area of migration management, with a focus on activities related to migrants assistance and protection, counter-trafficking and counter-smuggling as well as Assisted Voluntary Return and reintegration (AVRR), in accordance with IOM institutional guidelines, standards and best practices.
- Support monitoring of the implementation of the IOM BMM project and Regional Mixed Migration project including identification of problems and proposing action to expedite the delivery of expected outputs and outcomes, analyse progress and implementation reports, coordinate with implementing missions.
- Support coordination and communication with implementing missions to ensure consistency in data collection and monitoring including the development of standard indicators to measure progress towards results.
- Assist in the development of thematic guidance and operational tools to improve data collection and analysis and support identification and referral of vulnerable migrants.
- Contribute to narrative and financial reports in cooperation with relevant units in coordination with IOM Country Office implementing the BMM and MM project and in alignment to GIZ and PRM requirements.
- Participate in donor and partner meetings as required.
- Undertake duty travel relating to project implementation, monitoring and assessment, liaison with counterparts, problem solving.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the field of migration issues, including operational and field experience, IOM project development, and management;
- Experience in project development and/or management, with a preferred focus on protection and assistance;
- Experience in liaising with national and international institutions and donors (preferably, PRM and EU);
- Proven experience in monitoring and evaluation, preferably monitoring of multi country programmes/project;
- Excellent writing and communication skills and the ability to maintain effective working relationships with project partners;
- Ability to interpret information and identify and analyse problems;
- Excellent report writing skills and level of computer literacy;
- Knowledge on East and Horn of Africa is an advantage.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Organization for Migration (IOM) career website on recruit.iom.int to apply
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about International Organization for Migration (IOM)Similar Jobs
- Education in Emergencies Specialist at Save the Children International
- Career Opportunity at Management Systems International
- Nutrition Assistant at Food for the Hungry
- Job Opportunities at World Agroforestry Centre - 6 Positions
- Job Opportunities at Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust
- Country Director at Solidarités International
- Support Services Coordinator at Terre des hommes Foundation Child Relief
- Consultant, Home Based at UN-Habitat