The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) promotes sustainable and equitable transport worldwide. ITDP is a nonprofit organization headquartered in New York City with offices in Africa, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States. ITDP’s programs focus on bus rapid transit, non-motorised transport, travel demand management, parking, transport policy, and urban development. More information about ITDP can be found at www.itdp.org. ITDP has played a role in several projects in the African region, including the implementation of high-quality bus rapid transit (BRT) systems, cycling networks, and pedestrian projects. ITDP played a pivotal role in the implementation of Johannesburg’s silver-standard Rea Vaya BRT corridors and in Cape Town’s MyCiTi BRT. ITDP also supported the development of the Dar Rapid Transit BRT system in Dar es Salaam. ITDP is currently preparing a Sustainable Mobility Plan for the city of Kisumu and working on street designs to reclaim street space for pedestrians in Ruiru.
● A master’s degree in transportation planning, transportation engineering, city planning or other relevant field, with at least 5-7 years of relevant professional experience.
● Prior experience in transportation planning, including survey design and management, demand analysis, network planning, fare systems, and infrastructure design.
● Experience producing pre-feasibility reports and detailed project reports for transport projects.
● Experience in drafting terms of reference for public transport operations, IT systems and other relevant areas.
● Ability to develop effective infographics and prepare high quality presentations.
● Excellent skills in use of spreadsheets, statistical and database tools and GIS.
● Working knowledge of transport modeling software.
● Familiarity with the Adobe suite preferred.
● Excellent English writing skills.
● Strong commitment to advancing ITDP's mission and to environmental and social justice.
● Excellent research and analytical skills. You should enjoy working with numbers!
● Demonstrated ability to manage people and projects to successful project outcomes.
● Strong communication skills, including preparing effective graphics and making powerful presentations.
● Ability to communicate complex transport issues through concise, compelling messages.
● Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects with flexibility, work well under pressure and keep to deadlines.
● Ability to maintain high standards while contributing pragmatic ideas.
● Availability to travel frequently.
Interested applicants can apply by sending the following information to email@example.com:
● Samples of written work: thesis abstract, technical reports, etc.
● Samples of visual representations such as GIS maps or infographics.
● A one-page note on improving the bus system in your city (with three specific interventions). We are unable to consider applications without the above details. The position will remain open until filled.