The African Guarantee Fund for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (AGF) is incorporated and licensed in Mauritius as a limited liability company and has its office of operation in Nairobi, Kenya.
Its products and services provide financial institutions with the means which they can leverage in bringing their African SME financing interventions to the required scale.
Reporting: The Bilingual Risk Officer reports to the Risk Manager.
Position Location: AGF offices in Nairobi, Kenya
Position Summary: The position focuses on supporting the Risk Manager in managing Credit and Market Risk within the organization.
- Conduct Credit Risk assessment of guarantee approval requests (GAR) presented.
- Discuss the GAR for the French speaking countries both with Business Development Officers and Risk Manager.
- Highlight all identified risks and make risk mitigation strategies recommendations including proposing of conditions and covenants.
- Monitor utilization of guarantee limits and facilities covered under the guarantees
- Ensure conditions and covenants of approvers are complied with and are appropriately captured in the guarantee agreements.
- Support the implementation of all aspects of the risk function, including implementation of processes, tools and systems to identify, assess, measure, manage, monitor and report risks.
- Assist in the development of and manage processes to identify and evaluate business areas’ risks and risk and control self-assessments.
- Support in the implementation of processes, tools and systems to identify, assess, measure, manage, monitor and report risks.
- Support in developing risk policies and procedures, risk limits and approval authorities.
- Monitoring of all risk issues
- Follow-up on all outstanding information and documentation required for Risk Departments day-to-day operations.
- Support Risk Manager and the Risk team in the end-to-end guarantee management
- Compile regular and ad-hoc risk reports as required in both English and French
- Perform other duties allocated to him/her by the Risk Manager
In addition to the above duties, the Risk Officer may be required to perform other related or unrelated duties based on the company’s needs.
Desired Qualifications, knowledge, skills & Experiences
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Accounting, Finance, or Business administration;
- A Master’s degree is an added advantage
- A Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in Risk department of a bank or financial institution that is a credit provider. Experience in FI Credit Analysis, SME Credit analysis and Market Risk Analysis is an added advantage.
- BILINGUAL fluent in English and French
- Strong Risk and financial analysis skills
- Demonstrated understanding of insurance, guarantee and bonding facilities
- Demonstrated track record in business development and portfolio management.
- Demonstrated understanding of guarantee and banking products;
- Ability to compile and report results of activities
go to method of application »
Reporting: The Senior Internal Controller reports directly to the Chief Internal Controller – CIC.
Position Location: AGF offices in Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travels
The Senior Internal Controller (SIC) is responsible for the following
- Support the finance and operations departments and influence the culture of Internal Control throughout the organization
- Evaluate systems and business processes to identify areas of opportunities to enhance efficiencies and improvements, while maintaining the internal control framework
- Develop, implement and monitor and maintain compliance of internal control policies and procedures
- Lead audits in accordance with the audit plan. Follow the action plans in conjunction with the business functions and provide status reporting to senior management. Drive the action plans to improve the level of controls and mitigate risks
- Lead cross functional projects to improve the level of internal control and risk management, support the defining and implementation of policies and procedures across the business
- Complete the annual evaluation of Key Internal Controls and Top Risks within the company and report out to AGF senior management
- Conduct field audits to identify areas of non-compliance with policy and implement remediation processes
- Monitor changes in business, process and systems and provide guidance and recommendations to internal key stakeholders
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Internal Audit-Compliance-Internal Consulting- Reporting
- Perform management testing of the effectiveness of internal controls over financial reporting, business processes and effectively document conclusions reached;
- Conduct interviews and document processes and controls;
- Identify areas of risk that should be communicated to the CIC;
- evaluate identified control gaps and communicate associated risks and recommendations;
- Consistent exercise of independent judgement and discretion; Collect and analyze data electronically utilizing accounting systems and other software;
- Pro-actively pursues additional industry and business knowledge through training and certifications;
- Be knowledgeable about the business, including policies and standards that impact AGF Five years plan goals.
- The incumbent will also support the Head of Department to resolve critical issues related to above processes.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Supervise a team of Officers in the department
In addition to the above duties, the Senior Internal Controller may be required to perform other related or unrelated duties based on the company’s needs.
Qualifications, knowledge, skills & Experience Required
Desirable skills, knowledge and experiences
- Master’s degree in Accounting or Finance is required;
- Deep knowledge of region and global trends in the financial markets as well as an understanding of the key macroeconomic drivers;
- Good accounting knowledge including IFRS GAAP;
- At least 7 years of relevant, progressively responsible experience, with a proven track record within the audit/financial sector – ‘Big Four’ internal audit preferred;
- CPA or CIA;
- Experience in a busy financial services and generally banking environments;
- Experience managing and leading teams.
- She/he will be responsible for further developing, implementing, and regularly updating the AGF’s Internal Control and Compliance Policies and Procedures;
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Desirable knowledge of guarantee system
- Strong knowledge of strategies, approaches and tools in capacity development;
- Have a good understanding of financial institutions’ approaches to SME lending, risk mitigation strategies, loan appraisal criteria etc.;
- Demonstrated ability to compile and report results of management activities
- Good knowledge of risk metrics analysis and reporting, operational and financial risk and controls and governance and oversight frameworks;
- Good knowledge and understanding of the business unit’s key products and services, processes and controls, risk and regulatory requirements;
- Solid knowledge of Bank departmental systems and applications would be considered an asset;
- Good knowledge of process and/or project management would be considered an asset;
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products (i.e. Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint, Vision) and SharePoint.
- Advanced problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills;
- Good operational risk management skills;
- Strong prioritization skills;
- Advanced interpersonal and relationship management skills;
- Advanced presentation and communication skills;
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities;
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work in an evolving environment;
- Ability to learn quickly / develop the necessary skills;
- Team player with strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Must have strong analytical and coaching skills;
- Excellent project management and consulting skills;
- Excellent IT skills;
Method of Application
Applicants should apply by email, sending a cover letter summarizing their relevance to this position, a full C.V. names and contact information of three referees knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to: email@example.com . “Application for a BILINGUAL Risk Officer - AGF” should be clearly marked on the subject line of the email message. Applications will be considered until 31st January 2017 or until the position is filled. Only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.