is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements. Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of franchised micro-entrepreneurs, who operate low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets. We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training, and marketing. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community. We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer, insect-based animal feed, and renewable energy. Finally, we sell the end products to Kenyan farms under the brand name Farm Star.
- Expand toilet network by 40% YOY in current areas of operation
- Ensure timely and efficient customer service delivery, and issue resolution
- Own financial plan and reporting for the entire organization
- Establish systems to transition new models into core operation
Responsibilities for the Chief Operating Officer Jobs in Kenya
- Lead, in partnership with the Executive Director, a socially and environmentally driven business through years of ambitious growth, striving to change the entire sanitation value chain in Nairobi
- Define company strategy, working closely with our founders, the Board, and senior leadership team
- Manage complete P&L accountability for the core value chain from sales and marketing to customer onboarding and operations – managing those functions, as well as finance.
- Drive expansion of our operations in Nairobi, concurrently building systems to replicate into new geographies & markets.
- Manage all day-to-day operations and oversee a team of approximately 30 people across sales, customer on-boarding, customer support and finance
Qualifications for the Chief Operating Officer Jobs in Kenya
- Excellent communication skills with the aptitude to distill complex systems and detailed analysis into simple, structured processes with concrete action plans.
- Demonstrated experience setting and implementing bold yet realistic strategies.
- Strong data, analytical and decision-making skills.
- Proven excellence in people management.
- Ability to lead teams and organizations through change.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience (preferably in Africa), including successful entrepreneurial experience or 4+ years as a senior leader in a rapidly growing young company.
- Proven track record of developing operational plan from a company strategy
- Extensive experience in budgeting / forecasting and developing teams to take control of their P&L statements
- Proven experience in developing and managing sales pipelines
- Introduced new products into a market, as well as integrating pilot projects into standard operations
- Proven experience leading high-performing teams, especially in dynamic, high-growth environments
Relentless pursuit for excellence: Insatiable hunger to build and scale an innovative, high-impact business model. Perseverance in the face of often unprecedented and unpredictable logistical and environmental hurdles.
Value for stakeholders: A deep-seated instinct to understanding and serving the customer, be it the residents of urban slums, Fresh Life Operators, the team or the Board
Pragmatic Innovation: Thoughtful developer of new ideas to improve systems, people, and operations, especially as Sanergy works to make its model more cost-effective
Collaboration: Strong relationship-building skills and experience working closely across organizations from senior executives to local government to field-level staff.
Authenticity: Low ego attitude with a willingness to shift from high-level critical thinking to stepping in and helping drive implementation on the ground.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Sanergy career website on sanergy.bamboohr.com to apply