Communications Specialist at AECOM International Development (AISS)
Posted on: 12 October, 2017
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at AECOM
AECOM International Development (AISS) implements the Transition Initiatives for Stabilization Plus (TIS+) Program for the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), promoting good governance and community cohesion. The objectives of this contract are to: 1) Increase confidence in governance based on equitable participation in decision making and management of community assets. 2) Empower community and government representatives to engage with private sector and development actors in a collaborative process for community growth. 3) Increase Somali engagement in creating a more stable future. 4) Support inclusive, sustainable development by reducing gender gaps in stabilization and development.
REPORTS TO: Chief of Party, TIS+ Somalia
The Communications and Outreach Specialist will work with the Chief of Party, DCOP and the Field Coordinators, and the grantees/partners to develop a communications and outreach strategy, focusing on the following important aspects:
- The quality of all project communications including, but not limited to, case studies, success stories, media engagement (when appropriate) and newsletter. Weekly and quarterly reports as well as appropriate presentation of various reports that project generates shall also be an important aspect of the role.
- In consultation with USAID, finding the right strategies to work on the strategic messaging related to stabilization in the ever evolving context of Somalia. Finding the project’s relevance to USAID for their advocacy and strategic focus is another important theme of the role.
- The Communications and Outreach Specialist will be responsible for devising the right systems for the preparation of the quarterly and annual technical progress reports submitted to USAID. S/he will propose a schedule for report preparation that AECOM’s home office will approve. As needed, the Communications and Outreach Specialist will interview content providers and write original material for inclusion in the reports.
- The Communications and Outreach Specialist will also work with the Chief of Party to create appropriate social media contents for TIS+ and USAID channels; and generate original submissions to USAID newsletters, other partner newsletters, and Communications and Outreach Specialist will work with external organizations, consultants, and platforms for dissemination of communications materials and updates, in line with the above mentioned 2 strategic themes. S/he will be the primary point of contact for USAID communications staff.
- Implement the project’s Branding Strategy and Marking Plan, and ensure that project deliverables are in compliance with this plan specifically and more broadly with USAID’s branding and marking requirements for assistance awards;
- Explore solutions and/or upgrades to project management and communications, such as improved teleconferencing and web-based communications products;
- Establish and maintain TIS+ social media presence, including Twitter, Facebook, and other outlets, if approved by USAID;
- Support the project team in timely preparation and submission of reports and other deliverables, particularly in coordinating compilation of TIS+ quarterly and annual reports;
- Develop external communications including, but not limited to, success stories, reports, and other material that communicate project’s lessons and successes over the years;
- Develop “Transforming Lives” stories using the USAID guidelines to be submitted monthly to USAID and included in quarterly reports;
- Disseminate stories collaborating with and using donor channels
- Serve as a point person for press inquiries and monitor the Somali and international press for the evolving development in Somalia. Devising ways to find the right programmatic relevance, to the contextual happening, and linking the context, project’s communication with the USAID advocacy themes for Somalia, i. e. a communication strategy to be informed and inform the client’s advocacy and communication focus.
- Develop and manage project communications calendar and collaborate with team to collect, maintain and distribute current content appropriately;
- Liaise with USAID’s GIS focal person for the development of maps and other GIS-based communications products;
- Oversee and maintain photographs/graphics/visuals production and use, including managing consultants and contractors, ensuring accurate credits, permissions, and descriptive captions for photographs;
- Liaise with AECOM’s home office communications team to share photos, stories, and other marketing material for AECOM’s website or newsletters;
- Provide copy editing support on a variety of digital and print deliverables;
- Coordinate materials printing with TIS+ team and external vendors where appropriate; and
- Other duties, as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, English, Marketing, or relevant international development field
- Work Experience: Seven years of relevant experience designing and managing communications and outreach strategies for complex international development program(s)
- Experience writing program summaries, success stories, press releases, initiating story ideas and placement, and monitoring media coverage
- Experience understanding and following USAID branding and marking requirements for assistance awards
- Experience producing radio programs, including interviews, call-in shows, public service announcements, and long-format programs
- Experience working with social media helpful
- Demonstrated and proven record to work in a multidisciplinary team under changeable and complex circumstances
- Previous work experience and knowledge of conditions in Somalia strongly preferred
- Experience successfully responding to rapidly evolving issues, and mitigating any adverse impacts
- Excellent understanding of existing communications tools and mechanisms, including radio and web-based systems
- Native or fluent command of English (written and oral)
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously within a multi-functional, collaborative environment
- Demonstrated motivation and willingness to learn and adapt
- Graphic design (Adobe Creative Suite) and photography experience is an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills, including ability to interview program participants
- Excellent written communication skills, including ability to craft engaging and informative pieces and edit documents in English
- Computer literacy, specifically in Microsoft Word, Publisher and Excel, is required
- Ability to use media evaluation metrics including basic knowledge of Google Analytics
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to AECOM career website on aecomtisplus.formstack.com to apply
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about AECOMSimilar Jobs
- Job Vacancy at SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
- Finance Assistant at World Health Organization
- Career Opportunities at Pan African Climate Justice Alliance - 4 Positions
- Job Openings at Kenya Red Cross Society - 3 Positions
- Programme Coordinator at Save the Children
- Communication Officer at International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- Assistant Acountant at Marie Stopes International
- Business Development Manager at Heifer International