EcoZoom is a Nairobi based, for-profit, social enterprise that manufactures and distributes a range of solar lighting products and fuel efficient cookstoves. Our products save people time, money and help to preserve the environment through reducing deforestation and the need for dirty kerosene lamps.
We work to empower local workforces, economies and women while creating financially sustainable markets and continuously improve upon our product offering and the customer value we deliver by being connected to all parts of the value chain.
We believe that people of any economic status should have access to beautifully designed products that will improve their health, income, and environment.
EcoZoom has been achieving double digit sales growth since 2014 and has been able to acquire and grow big accounts such as James Finlays Ltd (tea grower), Juhudi Kilimo (MFI) and Equity Bank. Currently we have a team of 20 people and are planning to grow that to almost 30 in 2018.
To further drive our sales growth in existing and new market segment and diversify our client portfolio we need fresh minds that can help us achieving that.
Our client, a mid-sized engineering works firm, is seeking to fill the role of a business development officer. The ideal candidate for the position need the following qualifications
- Track record of performance in sales;
- 3-7 Years’ Experience in a similar work environment – engineering, construction etc;
- Degree/diploma in engineering or business.
go to method of application »
About the role
Our business development and sales team is at the heart of our business. We partner with a variety of organizations across Kenya to market and distribute our products to potential customers.
To grow our reach and enable tens of thousands more East Africans to buy these live-changing products, the role of the Business Development Associate is to scout, build and grow new clients (partnerships and distribution channels).
We work with agricultural and security firms of all sizes and come up with creative financing schemes that allow their employees and their families to access our products. Other key partners are financial institutions, like SACCOs and MFIs who offer specific solar and jiko loans to their customers.
We are planning to hire two Business Development Associates, one in charge of each of these client groups. The role reports to the Head of Sales.
Drive revenues through partnership creation and account management (70%)
- Prospect potential new clients and vet them.
- Approach high-potential leads, understand their needs and concerns and pitch Ecozoom to them.
- Run demonstrations in creative and engaging ways at the client site so that you create strong buy-in from management and potential end-consumers alike.
- Help new clients think through how their internal processes of marketing our products and administering the sales.
- Negotiate contracts and agreements.
- Ensure all customer care needs of your accounts are handled well: Work with technical staff and other internal colleagues to meet customer needs. Close all loops.
- Present new products and services to your accounts and enhance existing relationships.
- Creatively increase revenues with your new and existing clients by ensuring they have all they need to market our products. Follow up with your point person at the client to drive volumes up.
- Perform cost-benefit and needs analysis of existing/potential customers to meet their needs.
- Hand over customers after they are established to sales associates (after 6 months).
Sales admin (20%)
- Track your progress across the different stages of the sales process. Manage your sales funnel.
- Ensure that activities and data is accurately entered and managed within the sales management system
- Constantly compare sales to forecast targets and take action to hit your goals
- Submit weekly progress reports with correct data
Contribute to overall business and sales strategy (10%)
- Attend industry functions, such as association events and conferences, and provide feedback and information on market development and trends
- Present your ideas to the team with a view to developing new products and approaches
- Represent the views of the clients to your peers and the whole company
- Actively participate in monthly and quarterly company meetings
- You are excited about using your skills to create social and environmental impact. You have a strong heart for the community and want to support them in uplifting their living standards.
- You have around 3-5 years’ experience in a business development role. You have strong results in B2B Sales (or preferably in Business to Business to Customer approach).
- Good understanding of the channels and techniques needed to engage low-income customers
- You are engaging and energetic. You know how to have a conversation that will help you understand the other person’s context and needs and create mutually beneficial win-win-situations with customers.
- Sales management skills and track record: You understand the steps and stages of closing a deal. You know how to forecast sales performance and analyse metrics. We have a preference for a process driven and analytical person.
- You love developing your knowledge and skills and you are very eager to learn. You are outspoken and not worried about saying your opinion and asking for support in the team.
- You are good with numbers, have strong entrepreneurial thinking with a solid understanding of a company’s commercial revenue drivers.
- You are a self-starter, organized and believe in yourself. You enjoy working with absolute responsibility for your deliverables and approach.
- You have a problem-solving attitude and work under pressure whilst handling multiple work streams.
- You have a solid customer service attitude: You put your customers first
- You pride yourself in achieving a lot with limited resources.
- You are interested to work with technology to make your work easier and excited to learn. Skill in working with spreadsheets is preferred.
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills. Fluent command of English and Swahili is required. Business command of a local language is an added advantage.
- You hold at least a diploma degree in a relevant field, a bachelors degree is preferred.
- Preferred: A network of partners, distributors, and sales networks across Kenya
- Preferred: Experience of promoting household solar, safe water, clean cooking or other life enhancing products to base of pyramid communities.
Wondering what it’s like to work at Ecozoom and if you fit in?
Our team is young and international. We use direct and honest communication, say what we think and bounce ideas together to make the business work. If you like open dialogue and are enjoy speaking your mind to your peers and managers, you are in the right place!
We don’t micromanage. This means you need to be able to plan your week and workflow in a way that you get the results you set out for. We are a target-driven team and work hard to grow the business in this competitive market.
We will support you and expect that you pull your weight and walk the talk. There is a commission scheme provided on top of the base salary.
Ecozoom is a small, ambitious company. It is evolving and growing fast and there are many opportunities for professional development for you over the years.
We have quarterly team retreats, where we discuss strategy, company updates and bond and have fun together. Everyone is expected to contribute wholeheartedly to these meetings to make them a success.
The successful candidate will start in February/March 2018. You should be ready to commit to this role for at least two to three years. We’ll arrange a 6-month probation period with learning objectives and work targets.
You will be based out of our Nairobi office, but spend significant time on the road visiting current and potential clients. For the first year or so, you would focus on greater Nairobi area and neighbouring counties. These would mostly be day-trips. Transport costs are covered.
Method of Application
If you are interested in the role please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org