Marie Stopes International (MSI) is a marketing-focused resulted oriented social business that uses modern management and marketing techniques to provide quality family planning and reproductive health services in more than 43 countries world-wide. Marie Stopes Kenya (MSK) is a non-profit social business, working with local partners and the government of Kenya to provide quality, affordable and accessible Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) information and services.
Reporting to the Channel Lead, Centres, the Regional Coordinator (RC) is responsible for managing MSK centres and Youth Friendly Service Providers within their region and supporting service delivery, coordination of monthly planning for all teams within the region (centres, SF, outreach, Commercial Opportunities and marketing), regional advocacy and transportation within their region. They play a key role in planning of activities across channels and in representing MSK to government and community leadership at the county level.
The position is a member of the Senior Management leadership team of MSK whose members strongly reflect MSK’s values in their behavior. Led by a rotating chair, the SMT is made up of Deputy directors, Technical Advisors, Regional Coordinators and Managers of five core departments which, working together and mutually accountable to one another, are responsible for development and delivery of a strategic and sustainable programme, using Marie Stopes social enterprise model. Within the SMT, the Regional Coordinator with other leaders in the Programme Operations department will provide data on key issues and information for synergy, learning and efficiencies and close fiscal management while meeting CYP targets.
- Coordinate and support the delivery of all MSK activities within the respective region through planning among all department activities in the region (centres, outreach, SF, and marketing) and maximization of available resources such as vehicles
- Line management of MSK centres and youth friendly service providers within the respective regions
- Undertake continuous stakeholders engagement at the regional level including close collaboration with relevant CHMTs and sub-CHMTs
- Coordinate implementation of MSK activities within the region to maximise on the program outputs (both high quality CYPs and non-CYP generating outputs)
This is a key output of this position. Activities include:
- Coordinate the collection of all regional department team work plans before they are submitted to Channel lead for approval in monthly planning meeting.
- Coordinate the 98monthly regional planning meeting including at least the following participants: team leaders and coordinators from all three MSK channels, from the marketing department, from social marketing and medical detailing, from the Quality Assurance team, from youth interventions and any other activities regularly active in the region.
- Check and report to Channel lead performance of the clinics in their region against budget and targets
- Identify technical support needs of the region and appropriately link regional teams with the respective technical resource within MSK and MSI to support program implementation.
- Manage Centres within the respective regions
- Assist Channel lead in ensuring that centres within the region comply with MIS standards of service provision
- Revise and approve, along with centre managers, all monthly event schedules and advance requests
- Ensure centres are using a functional referral system
- Conduct centre supervisory visits as indicated in the work and report on a monthly basis
- Ensure that each centre in the region is using the 3 year work plan provided and support centre manager in delivery
- Assist Channel lead in ensuring correct stock management and ordering is completed correctly and on time at the regional clinics
- Assist Channel lead in ensuring that centres are following the incident management process as defined
- Compile and revise monthly orders for supplies and equipment for centres within the region and YFSP events/pop ups and forward the same to the Channel lead
- Work with the Channel lead, Centres to maintain a list of all vacancies for direct line reports and fill vacancies in a timely manner
- Review centre reports and performance and develop action plans for any underperforming areas
- Work with Centre managers in conducting quarterly focus groups
- Ensure all policies are followed by centre managers including not turning away any client for core services
- Work with centres to ensure Internal and external QTA action plans and Internal Audit recommendations are implemented in the centres
- Implement strategies and innovations as needed to drive the delivery of channel results
- Work with marketing as instructed by Channel lead to track demand generations events & campaigns in the calendar to draw conclusions on what works
- Undertake continuous stakeholder engagement activities at the regional level including close collaboration with relevant CHMTs and sub-CHMTs
- In collaboration with other members of the Programmes and Marketing departments, engage in advocacy and external relations with a wide range of stakeholders, including County Government, other Implementing Partners, and internal stakeholders within MSK to achieve project and organisational deliverables. Report to be given to Channel lead
- Routinely act as the focal person for MSK at the regional level including representing MSK at high level meeting/platforms where necessary
- Work closely with members of other channels and departments to address any issues related to County Engagement and address underlying issues with implementation
- Regularly appraise relevant Sub-CHMTs and CHMTs with ongoing MSK operations including sharing program briefs as appropriate on a routine basis with support from RME and relevant channels
- Advocate with the county government for inclusion of MSK priority areas (FP) in county budgets
- Coordinate regular stakeholders meetings with MSK teams across the channels
- Provide technical support across county SRH TWGs such as those on FP, Advocacy and ASRH
- Resource Management
- Directly supervise and performance manage the Centre managers and Regional driver of the region
Knowledge skills and Attitudes
- First degree or equivalent in health/biological sciences,
- Must have a minimum of 5 years relevant experience
- Possession of MPH, M Sc. Development studies, MA. Project Management and any relevant course is an added advantage
- Must possess excellent planning and organizational skills
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision and MUST possess a high level of integrity and responsibility
- Must be attuned to and be comfortable with the culture/traditions of the people
- Must be computer literate and be at ease with report writing.
- Project cycle management training desirable
- Experience and knowledge of health financing or Kenyan health sector
- Clear ability to identify and set targets
- Budget management
- Excellent understanding of donor contract requirements
- Excellent communicator to others on key strategic issues
Attitude / Motivation:
Successful performance at MSI is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others. There are 13 key behaviours that MSI encourages in all employees and they are defined below:
Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
Thinking creatively and outside of the box so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
Focus on Learning
Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
Drive and determination to deliver results
Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible and showing respect for each other
Method of Application
Applications quoting the position title with a detailed CV, contact details of 3 referees including their email addresses (1 of which should be your immediate supervisor, 1 former supervisor and 1 any other but not a relative) should be submitted to: email@example.com on or before March 28, 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.