If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The Independent Medico-Legal Unit (IMLU) is a governance, health and human rights non-profit making organization, whose vision is A World free from Torture, Violation and Discrimination.
We are looking for a self-motivated, result oriented and collaborative team leader!
Overall in-charge of the Redress Program: Design, Resource Mobilization, staff supervision, Implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation, ensuring that program interventions are aligned to institutional Vision and Mission.
- L.L.B and Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- At least 3 years post graduate experience in designing, managing and implementation of governance, health and human rights programs in an NGO setting.
- Experience in victims’ redress focused programs will be added advantages;
- Training and certification in project cycle management
- Experience in program conceptualization, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Strong analytical, organizational, planning and problem solving skills;
- Ability to provide leadership and work independently as well as part of a team. Willing and able to build the capacity of others and lead a performing team;
- Ability to organize work and prioritize tasks;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to think and operate strategically;
- Ability to manage competing priorities in a rapidly changing environment;
- Keen sense of professionalism, ethics, integrity and commitment to IMLU’s mandate.
- Demonstrable knowledge of national, regional and international human rights law, mechanisms and environment;
go to method of application »
Main Purpose of the Job
Leadership in grant budgeting, management and accounting including support to team members’ compliance with grant contracts, policy and statutory requirements.
Grant Budgeting,, Management and Accounting
- Ensure that all policies and procedures are in compliance with Kenyan laws and /or funding source requirements and that all such laws and requirements are respected and consistently followed.
- Support in budget development for the institution as well as grant budgets.
- Ensure strict adherence to donor contracts, fulfill financial guidelines for each donor through accurate and timely reporting and reliable financial records for future reference.
- Ensure timely preparation and dissemination of the expenditure reports internally for informed decision making.
- Any other assignment that may be given from time to time.
- Assist in preparation of annual institutional audit preparations and grant reporting/audit.
- Ensure maintenance of strong internal financial controls, and ensure compliance
- Maintain appropriate accounting records and ensure timely backup of computerized accounting data.
- Assist in implementing financial policies and procedures in financial accounting and accounting for grants to ensure compliance with the generally accepted accounting principles and donor reporting guidelines; for internal and external reporting.
- Support prudent resource management by expenditure verification from receipts received, float refunds e.t.c. and ensure that budget and expenditure reports are sent out to programs teams within the stipulated timelines.
- Manage the inventory
- Assist in departmental planning and execution
- Assist in line management of finance and administration staff
- Lead in proper recording keeping of grant files
- University degree preferably in accounting, business administration, finance, economics
- CPA (K) or equivalent
- 4 years relevant working experience in budget setting and grants management in an NGO setting
- Strong financial and administration background
- Good numerical, analytical and writing skills
- Excellent computer skills, preferably Ms Excel, Ms Navision, MS Word, Power Point)
- Ability to organize work and prioritize tasks
- Shows integrity and commitment, and excellent communication skills
- Observes confidentiality
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written, preferred
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Experience in managing multiple donor grants and understanding of major donor requirements
- Ability and experience in working in and providing team support
- Familiar with major donor reporting including EU, UN, DFID, bilateral donors.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Commitment to IMLU values
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
Method of Application
If you are the right candidate please send your application letter, curriculum vitae, information on current and expected salary and benefits, and contact details of three professional referees to:
The Human Resources Manager via e-mail to email@example.com
with the subject matter Programme Officer Redress
by 5pm Friday 22nd June, 2018.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
IMLU is an equal opportunity employer.