Standard Chartered Bank - We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
The purpose is to grow the Rates & Credit Franchise in East Africa region from a business perspective whilst following all regulatory responsibilities
- Awareness and understanding of the firm's business strategy and model appropriate to the role
- Grow the Rates and Credit Franchise for East Africa
- Develop our business in line with internal and External requirements
- Make our business more efficient
- Achieving assigned full year budget. Within this budget, generate specific Financial Markets Product mix
- Ensure the Bank's clients receive pricing and support, both in terms of trading and market information
- Is an individual contributor and supports others
- Awareness and understanding of the wider business, economic and market environment in which the firm operates
- Executing Trades: Follow credit check processes, appropriateness and suitability as well as assessing market risk amongst any other limits set against the business.
- Responsible for executing the activities within the end-to-end Process in accordance with the process design and control standards
- Jointly and severally responsible with the Second Line for risk and control outcomes of the process and any remediation or risk treatment actions in order to remain within risk tolerance
- People and Talent
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of people, and ensure that holders of all critical functions are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles ensuring that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Employ, engage and retain high quality people, with succession planning for critical roles.
- Responsibility to review team structure/capacity plans.
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
- Risk Management
- Responsible for identifying, assessing, monitoring, controlling and mitigating risks to the firm. Also, an awareness and understanding of the main risks facing the firm and the role the individual plays in managing them
- The ability to interpret the firm's financial information, identify key issues based on this information and put in place appropriate controls and measures
- Must be aware of and follow our procedures including Cross-Border, Termsheet, Dodd Frank where applicable, Product Fair pricing, Disclaimers and suitable Marketing Materials. Must manage EUCs, be aware of Dealing Mandate requirements, FM FO Dealing Handbook, PA account Dealing Principles as well as the Gifts and Entertainment register, New Joiners, Staff transfer/Exit checklists. Must also follow MAR requirements and manage FM Supervisory responsibilities.
- Responsible for assessing the effectiveness of the firm's arrangements to deliver effective governance, oversight and controls in the business and, if necessary, oversee changes in these areas
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the firm operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role
- Responsible for delivering 'effective governance'; capability to challenge fellow executives effectively; and willingness to work with any local regulators in an open and cooperative manner.
- Regulatory & Business conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the East Africa FM Rates & Credit Sales Team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Banks Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Operation of Financial Markets; Financial Crime Prevention; The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Follow the rules and any applicable regulations
Trading, Structuring, TCRM, Operations, Risk, Credit, Legal, Compliance, Regulators
- Embed Here for good and Group's brand and values in East Africa FM Rates & Credit Sales team and demonstrate in daily behavior
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
- Follow FM Code of Conduct, Compliance Manual, Supervision Principles and Manual as well as FM Market Conduct Compliance Manual
- Multiple functions (double hats)
Our Ideal Candidate
- University degree
- Relevant senior experience gained within Financial Markets; Thorough knowledge and understanding of Financial Market products
- Demonstrable track record of senior client engagement
- MBA and or CFA Charter holder would be an added advantage
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
The Role Responsibilities
- To directly manage designated accounts within the GSAM portfolio.
- To directly represent and negotiate to protect the Bank's interest in complex group and multi-lender restructuring work-outs and push through recovery actions by using strong negotiating and influencing skills.
- To monitor, control and make timely recommendations on impairment provision management in the areas of responsibility.
- To manage account restructuring and re-engineering activity and to co-ordinate the reporting of loss provisions.
- To manage and minimise any potential risks from litigation, regulatory and other counter-claims and to negotiate personally in complex situations.
- To evaluate and make judgments on the credit risks of requests and applications as required, and to assume personal responsibility for assigned accounts.
- To deal directly with regulatory authorities as and when required and other external contacts, developing robust workable relationships with them.
- To formulate account strategies and action plans. To be well versed in relevant laws, rules & regulations and to provide guidance on problematic and complex issues.
- To maintain a broad business knowledge and to structure creative solutions.
- Active Participation and contribute in the Credit Issues Committee meeting and other similar forums.
- Seek market information to identify proactively industry problems, negative trends, potentially problem relationships including operational risk, reputational risk, event risk, etc that may affect Corporate & Institutional Banking and Commercial Banking.
Our Ideal Candidate
- At least 10 years experience in credit risk.
- Significant experience in the financial services industry, with sound knowledge of risks involved in lending; particularly corporate lending, traded structure and traded credit risk products.
- Strong negotiation skills to manage the problem loan portfolio.
- Up-to-date knowledge of business conditions and developments in the region.
- Ability to resolve conflicts, manage crises and solve problems, withstand pressure, work fast, set priorities and organize management time among numerous accounts needing urgent attention simultaneously, with initiative, creativity, resourcefulness, analytical ability, energy and determination to execute and win.
- Strong interpersonal skills coupled with professional integrity in order to command respect and credibility in situations involving conflicting interests. (Both internal and external).
- Sound practical and technical knowledge of laws relating to bankers' rights, corporate finance, security documentation and realisation, appropriate corporate Law, receivership, bankruptcy and winding up.
- Ability to communicate well both orally and in writing, and to conduct meetings (in some cases, hostile/confrontational circumstances and/or at very Senior Corporate/Bank levels) and focus on relevant issues.
- An ability and willingness to exercise initiative, make decisions, exercise responsibility and accept accountability for actions taken and decisions made
Method of Application
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.