Arifu is a Nairobi-based edtech company making it possible for anyone to access the information and opportunities they need from the organizations they trust over any mobile phone. With Arifu, people seeking to learn can freely access the Arifu chatbot using interactive SMS or smartphone chat apps to master new skills, discover a world of free educational content, and earn rewards from our partners whether or not they have internet or airtime. The Arifu chatbot delivers personalized content designed in-house in close collaboration with our partners including financial service providers, mobile operators, agribusinesses and NGOs. Our partners use Arifu to engage, train, and capture data on underserved people across their value chains, especially hard-to-reach customers, retailers, and suppliers. Currently serving 700,000 learners in East Africa, Arifu has demonstrated results increasing people’s income and access to impactful products and services while creating shared value for partners.
To date, the Arifu chatbot has helped hundreds of thousands of smallholder farmers access information and improve
their yield through digital agronomy skills training, access to essential inputs, and connections with buyers and suppliers.
With the Arifu platform, agribusinesses, donors, and government ministries can easily deliver mobile training to millions of smallholder farmers, agrovets, and extension workers to strengthen farmer livelihoods, improve food quality and security, and deliver the next generation of high impact agricultural products.
- Platform-wide improvements to the existing modules and new modules; Lead and mentor junior engineers
- Follow industry best practices; Write clean, scalable and testable code which will run on large Hadoop and Spark clusters
- Troubleshoot, test and maintain the core product(s) and configurations to ensure strong optimization and functionality. Contribute to all phases of the product development lifecycle
- Leading and supporting product builds (depending on ability and interest) such as our Android app, Messenger and third party chat integration, adaptive learning engine, predictive analytics, gamification, partner API;
- Dreaming up powerful new features that will improve the lives of our learners and create more value for
partners; Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Learning from live AB tests and internal analytics to upgrade features based on solid evidence;
- Running scrums and sprint cycles with your fellow devs and product manager;
- Keeping up with the essentials: testing, bug fixes, deployment, and documentation;
- Active participation in community events, trade meetups, and industry workshops in Nairobi and globally.
- 7-10+ years of professional experience in software development after completing an undergraduate degree;
- Minimum of Bachelor degree in CS, IT or related field. Masters level preferred; Excellent analytical and
- Demonstrated abilities in Python, MVC & R. Should also be familiar with Java, PHP, and MySQL;
- Demonstrated abilities in 2 or more NoSQL tools, such as Solr or ElasticSearch, MongoDB, CouchDB, and Redis;
- Working knowledge of AWS, Git, Bitbucket, SMS, IVR, HTML5, and Laravel, as well as S3 for data storage;
- Be comfortable working with Linux and Shell; Fluency in spoken and written English a must. Strong Swahili a plus;
- Ability to work off of and build upon other people’s code; Ability to get things done! We are all super ambitious and the road to greatness is paved with many lines of code;
- Should be able to thrive in a fast-paced, quickly evolving, tech start-up environment
- Ability to enjoy (and survive) the chaos of a high-growth tech company;
Compensation and Benefits
- We aspire to be competitive on compensation although, as an early-stage social enterprise, many on the team work just below market rate. To make up for that, staff are able to participate in the Arifu employee share program.
- We also offer a comprehensive health insurance package and will cover the cost of a work permit for foreign staff.
- Other benefits include monthly airtime allowance, extra leave, a stocked kitchen, and plenty of ping-pong and foosball.
Method of Application
Send your CV (in Word format) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Software Engineer – Python” in the subject. Your CV should be named in the following format: “FirstName LastName Senior Software Engineer – Python”. For example, “Jane Doe Senior Software Engineer – Python”. Tell us what excites you about this role, and include at least one sample of your work so we can see the quality of your craft. Ladies are highly encouraged to apply.