PowerGen was founded as “WindGen Power” in 2011 as a small wind turbine manufacturer in Nairobi, Kenya. The company built wind turbines up to 1kW capacity and sold them on the local Kenyan market. As the price of solar dropped between 2011 and 2013, WindGen Power evolved to become a renewable energy EPC and by 2015 was one of the leading solar power companies in East Africa.
Today, PowerGen Renewable Energy is a leading African private utility company specializing in mini-grid development and commercial and industrial (C&I) projects. Over the past 8 years, PowerGen has installed more than 200 systems in seven countries throughout the region, from Somaliland to Mozambique. With over 100 employees, an 11,000 sq. ft. workshop, headquarters in Nairobi, offices in Tanzania, Nigeria and Sierra Leone, PowerGen is building an African company that is set to have an impact on the energy sector for years to come.
PowerGen is hiring a Senior Engineering Manager with a strong background in utility-scale grid design and development and off-grid solar. The successful candidate must have the right technical skills and share in PowerGen’s vision of ‘Transforming Lives Through Smarter Power’ by building the grid of the future in Africa. The manager will lead the continual development of the Engineering team to be equipped to pursue this vision throughout the continent.
What You’ll Make Happen:
- Achieve world-class internal engineering capabilities through recruitment and training as the company continues to grow as both the leading minigrid developer in Africa and a MW scale solar EPC company
- Deliver cost-effective designs, meeting local regulations and industry best practice on time and with high attention to detail to ensure minimal site changes
- Lead multidisciplinary teams to deliver all elements of solar EPC or mini-grid installations from geotechnical, structural, earthing, solar array positioning, distribution, generation, grid integration and safety systems
- Lead and train a team of young and enthusiastic engineers as a line manager, including recruitment, performance review process and organizing training to meet the needs of the organization
- Prepare budgets and maintain fiscal responsibility and control
- Implementation and continual improvement of engineering best practice and compliance with ISO 9001
Research and Development
- Lead PowerGen research and development on solar and mini-grid technology to lower LCOE and improve reliability for our customers
- Support business development and nurture relationships with clients
- Become a recognized industry expert in solar for sub-saharan Africa and in mini-grid technology and deployment.
What Excites You:
- Intense attention to detail and managing multiple and varied work streams at the same time
- Working collaboratively with many internal teams across multiple countries and offices to drive growth and operational excellence
- A fast-paced, informal environment where constant change is the norm
You Already Have:
- A minimum academic qualification of a Masters in Electrical Engineering or closely associated field.
- Professional electrical engineering qualification (Kenyan preferred but all qualifications considered)
- Demonstration of continued professional development throughout career (membership of professional institutions, attendance to training in related fields etc.)
- Track record of low voltage and medium voltage grid design, and proven ability to deliver independent design work to internationally recognised standards
- Expertise using industry standard software (ETAP, Power Factory, PSS/E etc.), and to have used this to deliver multiple in depth analysis for industrial or utility projects.
- Knowledge of solar PV design up to MW scale
- Demonstrate fundamental cross-disciplinary knowledge required for development of electrical infrastructure
- Site experience delivering construction of Medium Voltage distribution networks and substations.
- Experience of ISO 9001 and industry best practices for ensuring high quality delivery
- Demonstrated commitment to Health and Safety through training and/or responsibilities held in previous employments.
- In depth understanding of project financial reports
- At least 5 years experience leading teams of electrical engineers in the design of electrical distribution and substations
- Demonstrated responsibility for delivering large scale electrical infrastructure projects on time and within budget.
- Ability to effectively manage people and motivate a team to work towards their primary objectives and expected outcomes
- Highly organized and experienced at planning resources for multiple workstreams
- Previously held a ‘leadership team’ position where responsibility is taken for achieving team/company key performance indicators (KPI’s) and developing strategies to achieve these results
- Demonstrated managerial experience overseeing individuals within a formal performance review cycle, developing individual goals, coaching and assessing performance
- Held project or team budget responsibility
- Presented at industry conferences and developed client relationships
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to PowerGen Renewable Energy career website on careers.ikrut.com to apply