Background Information - Job-specific
The primary role of Project Management Office (PMO) is to provide Kenya Multi Country Office (KEMC) with the structures, tools and techniques needed to ensure that it has the right programmes and projects in place, that operational and change priorities are balanced, the governance and decision making is facilitated and it has the resources and capability to deliver them consistently well. The functions and services of the PMO include:
- Strategic Planning/Portfolio Support: Ensuring UNOPS is focused on doing the right projects by supporting management decision-making.
- Delivery Support: Ensuring UNOPS is doing projects the right way, through the effective delivery of the programme and projects.
- Best Practices: Applying UNOPS standards in project management, encouraging consistent working practices and ensuring appropriate application.The primary role of PMO is to ensure that project management policies, processes and methods are followed and practiced according to the organization standards, while acting as the overall Project Assurance capacity within the business unit on behalf of the Director and Representative (Executive). The PMO strongly contributes to moving the KEMC toward achieving its mission-focused goals and objectives.
Development and Planning
- In conjunction with the PMO team, provides appropriate levels of programmatic management and administrative support to the Head of Sustainable Programme Management regarding all ongoing project activities, while maintaining and implementing appropriate standards and best practices in line with UNOPS policies and procedures.
- Directly contribute to strategic oversight, advice and direction on programme and project management activities in line with service agreements and project documents.
- Ensure proper development, implementation and, as and when appropriate, amendments, of project budgets and staffing resources, ensuring synergies across the [OC/Hub/PC].
- Develops and establishes resource tracking systems for use within the PMO, complementary to UNOPS' online tools, to ensure effective planning, forecasting and tracking of delivery across the KEMC.
- Identifies, and anticipates in a timely manner, potential risks and issues and advises mitigating measures to the Head of Programme. **
Set-up and closure
- Facilitate the development of high-level programme/project plans, including the collation of lower-level plans into programme/project-level milestones.
- Develop, track and maintain dependencies.
- Liaise closely and support the Head of Support Services in all project assets and finance related issues.
- For project closure purposes, acts as (or nominates and supervises) a focal point between the KEMC and donors throughout the process.
- Oversee and coordinate all project closure activities, ensuring appropriate disposal of project assets, timely and effective final (operational) reporting, initiation of financial disbursements as appropriate during Defects Liability Periods, updating of information on the UNOPS Management Work space(MWS), and effective handover of closed projects to UNOPS HQ for financial closure processes
- Monitoring and Reporting
- Prepare and issues regular project reports in accordance with donor guidelines for reporting.
- Regularly review project status, evaluating performance criteria (scope, cost, schedule and quality).
- Maintain diaries and progress reports as required by UNOPS standard procedures.
- Identify and anticipates in a timely manner, potential risks and issues specific to delivery forecasts, and advises mitigating measures to the Head of Programme.
- Provide routine oversight and analysis of delivery data within the dashboard system, using UNOPS ERP system as required.
- Perform routine maintenance and implementation of effective monitoring and evaluation systems of programme and project activities, in line with logical frameworks.
- Within the context of monitoring and evaluation, ensure all projects submit and regularly update specific milestones and targets for the duration of projects' life-cycles, and tracks progress, or otherwise, against such information.
- Provide editorial support to programmes and projects, ensuring effective and timely dissemination of reports, in line with project documentation and clients' expectations.
- Provide the Head of Support Services with necessary project analysis reports and information to support areas relevant to the project management team (i.e. Locally Managed Direct Costs projections etc.).
- Coordinate and oversee the implementation of requests or initiatives relevant to project management from the Regional Office, IPAS, and HQ Teams, as required.
- Develop stakeholder proles and facilitate the formulation of stakeholder engagement strategies.
- Enable the formulation of programme and project communications plans.
- Coordinate stakeholder engagement and communication, ensuring effective timing and interdependency.
- management of communications across programmes and projects.
- Coordinate internal programme/project communications.
- Monitor the effectiveness of programme/project communication.
- Work with internal audit and finance to ensure the programme complies with audit requirements.
- Work with procurement/purchasing staff to ensure effective interface with suppliers' quality systems.
- Ensure compliance with UNOPS defined standards for programme/project management.
- Coordinate quality reviews of programme/project documents and deliverables.
- Provide quality control for management products (project documents, reports, etc.).
- Represent the Head of Programme in supporting key stakeholders to continuously identify and improve operational processes relevant to project implementation.
Knowledge management and innovation
- Act as a focal point for the KEMC maturity enhancement initiatives, using the P3M3 as a baseline.
- Ensure routine and effective capacity building activities are conducted in order to build the long-term and sustainable capacity of national staff.
- Participate in, and advocate PMs' participation in, relevant Communities of Practice.
- Actively interact with PMs and the wider PM community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practices in the Knowledge System.
- Provides feedback to Practice Leads on policy and supporting guidance working to achieve continuous improvement of UNOPS policies.
- Contributes to the oversight of lessons learned procedures, ensuring that lessons learnt are shared in a timely and appropriate manner.
Personnel management (if managing a team)
- Exercise control of all staffing issues within the PMO team including recruitment, on-boarding and staff performance reviews.
- Directly contributes to the development and maintenance of budget and resource availability tables in conjunction with project managers and relevant project staff.
- Promote and support a learning culture by empowering individuals and teams to identify critical learning needs and plan/provide easy access to learning opportunities to maintain personnel competency and flexibility.
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
Impact of Results
The Head of PMO directly impacts on achievement of project results by assisting the Head of Programme to
implement effective project management methods and strategies, reduced risks, cut costs and improve success rates. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of the UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project Services
- A Master's degree in in Project Management, Business Administration or related field
- A combination of Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.Experience:
- A minimum of least 5 years of relevant and progressive professional experience is required, specifically in the field of Project Management with experience of successful implementation and/or oversight of programmes and projects.
- 2 years of UNOPS experience is required.
- Previous experience of working within a PMO environment is an advantage.
- Skills in project management, reporting, project management support, business analytics are required
- Previous experience in a UN environment would be a strong asset.
Full working knowledge of English is essential.
PRINCE2 Practitioner Certification is an advantage.
MSP certification (Foundation and/or Practitioner) is an advantage.
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- The position is based in a family duty station.