The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in the toughest areas of the world.
IFC’s Partnerships, Communications and Outreach Vice Presidency manages multilateral engagement and communications – both internal and external – across IFC. The Vice Presidency is responsible for content creation, branding, reputational risk management, relationships with shareholders in Western Europe and Japan, fundraising, and multilateral engagement.
The Global Business Partners unit (CGB) coordinates the communications network across the regions where IFC operates. The network’s objectives include supporting IFC’s operations, strengthening IFC’s brand, and communicating its development impact to internal and external clients to demonstrate that IFC is the premier development institution focused on the private sector. The network promotes IFC’s thought leadership and a better understanding of the key role of the private sector in development. The network also helps manage reputational risks around IFC’s regional investments and policies. CGB is currently searching for a Communications Analyst to focus on regional communications initiatives in the Africa and Middle East region.
Role and Responsibilities:
- The Communications Analyst will work in the Global Business Partners (CGB) Unit under the supervision of the Regional Communications Lead for Africa and the Middle East (AFR/MENA). His/her accountability is to support the regional communications team to implement outreach via digital platforms in support of IFC’s communication and operational strategy in AFR/MENA.
- Aligned with IFC’s corporate digital guidelines, he/she has responsibility for creating and posting high-quality digital content on IFC’s social media channels and helping to promote IFC’s content on external partner channels.
- The Communications Analyst will find innovative ways to share IFC messages on digital platforms and will identify key online influencers with whom to engage in AFR/MENA and beyond.
- He/she will work closely with other Communications Analysts and Officers in IFC’s Partnerships, Communications and Outreach Vice Presidency, operational departments, as well as with the corresponding World Bank teams in the region.
Specific responsibilities include, among others:
- With guidance from the Regional Communications Lead for Africa and the Middle East and the Communications Officer (Editor), support day-to-day implementation of IFC’s digital communication strategy, including posting content on IFC social media platforms daily.
- Increase the visibility of IFC Africa’s social media content and identify key online influencers with whom IFC should be engaging.
- Develop innovative approaches to sharing AFR/MENA content in digital and multimedia formats.
- Support the regional communications team in targeting messages to key online audiences and, using social media tools, measure the success of digital campaigns.
- Conceptualize, script and produce AFR/MENA -focused multimedia content for IFC’s digital platforms.
- Work closely with other IFC departments to conduct social media outreach in support of the Creating Markets and other corporate campaigns.
- In close collaboration with the wider regional communications team, maintain the regional editorial calendar.
- Produce the monthly AFR/MENA internal newsletter.
- Maintain IFC’s social media channels for AFR/MENA and ensure high quality and timeliness, as well as compliance with WBG editorial standards.
- Monitor social media channels and flag reputational risks.
The Communications Analyst will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Political Science, International Relations, Public Affairs, Marketing, Business/Finance with two or more years of experience in corporate communications, international relations, public affairs, political science, or other related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge in the field of strategic communications.
- Highly developed verbal and written communications skills, ability to convey complex messages succinctly and diplomatically.
- Demonstrates an understanding of target audience, effective writing style, and experience in high-impact messaging to global audiences.
- Crafts strategic company positioning in the market and has a strong understanding of reputation and branding.
- Has excellent working knowledge of digital media, including social media platforms and processes – particularly Facebook and Twitter – with experience in creating and sharing digital content.
- Shows sensitivity when delivering politically sensitive communication on online channels.
- Effectively coaches team members and management in their delivery of social media messages to a variety of constituents, even on challenging topics.
- Has a strong understanding of social media platforms and remains informed of innovative approaches to social media messaging and engagement.
- Anticipates problems and opportunities; ith potential problems, surfaces contributing factors and resolves them before there is negative impact.
- Can proactively advise staff on the implications and risks for IFC operations when choosing between certain social media platforms.
- Creates effective social media strategies.
- Experience in working on digital communications, including visual communications and multimedia.
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Operational experience in Africa and the Middle East and knowledge of private sector development desired.
- Understanding of multilateral development banks, including the World Bank Group, its policies and operations a plus, as well as basic understanding of current development topics and issues.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French required.
WBG Core Competencies for all staff: Client orientation; Drive for results; Teamwork of collaboration and inclusion; Knowledge, Learning and communication; and Business judgment and analytical decision-making.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Finance Corporation (IFC) career website on worldbankgroup.csod.com to apply