Categories: â˜ Collaboration â˜ Advice â˜’ Management
Location: Dadaab, Garissa, Kenya
Reports to: Country Representative
Number of subordinates: 25
Working time in %: 100%
Job Description: The Field Coordinator reports to the Country Representative and is in charge of representing Tdh and of implementing Tdh projects in Dadaab refugee camps and their host communities. S/he is responsible for staff management, finance and logistics, implementation of activities, programme development and reporting, and security.
The Field Coordinator will work in direct collaboration with the delegation personnel and interface directly with the Country Representative, as appropriate for programm strategy, reporting and administration. S/he will have direct access to key information, such as the general strategy of Tdh in Kenya, including programming objectives in the field, financial details, and security guidelines.
A professional sense of security, confidentiality, and proper representation is paramount.
The incumbent will conduct his or her duties in respect of the Charter of Terre des hommes and Tdh Child Protection Policy.
Terre des hommes expects that its contractors’ professional conduct reflect proper behaviour in accordance with local culture and traditions.
The incumbent assures the moral protection of the name of Terre des hommes and defends in all circumstances the interests of the movement.
Tdh intervenes without any affiliation for politics, religion or financial profit.
The incumbent will direct his or her activities and engagements without preoccupation of political, racial or religious affiliation.
1. Child Protection Policy
- Commits to respect Tdh Child Protection Policy.
- Commits to ensure the best implementation possible of the Child Protection Policy in Dadaab, including participation in annual audit, and reviews and updates of action plan.
- Commits to inform the Country Representative and/or Head of Programs and/or the Desk Officer and to deal with any case of any allegations or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Child Protection Policy.
2. Line Management
- Supervises the Child Protection Project Manager, the MEAL assistant and the support team in Dadaab.
- Receives updates and makes recommendations to the Country Representative and to the Senior Management Team in Nairobi about programme, security and other key issues.
3. Programme Strategy and planning
- Manages programming aspects of the Dabaab operations in line with Tdh and donors’ standards.
- In collaboration with the Country Representative and the Head of Programs, designs strategies and objectives for improved support to beneficiaries.
- Participates in the review of the strategy for Tdh in Kenya.
- Ensures the representation towards stakeholders in and around Dabaad.
4. Corporate Policies, Management Systems and Procedures
- Contributes towards promoting and adhering to Terre des hommes’ Charter, Code of Conduct and Operating Principles.
5. Child Protection Programme
- Acts as the instrument of management and facilitation for programme activities; ensures proper office functioning for the achievement of support roles and tasks while respecting budget and timeline parameters; a service-oriented support outlook will be maintained by support staff members.
- Follows and ensures respect of programme action plans; facilitates exchange and troubleshooting; follows up on Country Representative’s orientations.
- Contributes to proposal drafting as requested; review and edit final versions.
- Facilitates coordination among key staff members of project and support teams in Dadaab.
- Organises internal coordination meetings and workshops for cross-departmental issues and planning purposes in Dadaab.
- Participates to internal coordination meeting in Nairobi addressing operational highlights.
- Organises, maintains and supports a ‘back up’ system for key Tdh staff for coverage during work absences.
- Networks with other NGOs and entities in the interest of information sharing and best practices.
6. Monitoring and Evaluation
- Supports the project team in implementing Tdh monitoring and evaluation system to evaluate programme results and makes recommendations for future programme directions.
- In coordination with the Head of Programs, monitors and evaluates monthly programme progress and makes recommendations.
- Facilitates the external evaluation as required by management and integrates recommendations in work plans.
7. General Administration and Logistics
- Maintains signatory schedule for purchase and payment authorisations.
- In collaboration with the Finance Coordinator, reviews monthly budget vs. actual reports in order to orient future budgetary expenditures and allocations.
- Respects transparent management procedures as defined in the Tdh Kenya Staff Regulations.
8. Human resources management
- Leads and manages project and support staff in Dadaab, encouraging effective team work and providing supervision and guidance, especially on issues related to cross-sectoral collaboration and harmonizing approaches.
- Raises any questions to the Country Representative regarding Tdh compliance with basic requirements of the local law in respect to employment conditions and related matters.
- Coordinates with the HR Manager to ensure accurate leave and R&R planning for staff working in Dadaab.
- Assists the HR Manager in staff resource planning: job descriptions, recruitment, induction and training for all staff as appropriate.
- Ensures regular performance appraisals and encourages the personal development plans and the identification of training needs.
- Ensures that project managers conduct disciplinary and grievance procedures and exit interviews, as necessary.
- Ensures that all Tdh staff in Dabaab, whether based there or visiting the project, are aware of Tdh security procedures and strictly comply with them.
- Collects primary indications for security matters from a variety of sources and share relevant information with the Country Representative and with the Dadaab team as relevant.
- Ensures the regular update of all security plan documents and tools, incl. emergency plans, contact lists, emergency kits, etc.
- Ensures overall Tdh coordination with the UN agencies and government in Dadaab and operational representation where relevant in Dadaab area, including the sharing of information and reporting.
- Interacts with representatives of the local communities and ensures a constructive dialog to make sure that Tdh activities, policies and procedures are well known by local communities.
- Attends to all appropriate external humanitarian meetings, both general and sector, in order to ensure Tdh’s aims and activities are communicated with humanitarian partners.
- In coordination with the Country Representative, guarantees that all formalities required by the government are prepared properly, kept up to date, and presented punctually.
- Makes recommendations to the Country Representative regarding security issues, including enacting hibernation and/or evacuation plans.
- Acts as the local Tdh focal point for monitoring visits and local queries posed by donors.
- Produces a monthly report and submits it to the Country Representative.
- Integrates context assessment of Dadaab into reporting and communications; identifies geopolitical trends and indicators which may impact programme activities in Kenya.
- Coordinates, prepares and elaborates institutional donor reports for submission to the Country Representative.
- Ensures timely submission of monthly situation reports by Dadaab staff members.
This function requires the mastery of Personal, Social and Leadership Competencies (PSLC), Technical and Methodological Competencies (TMC) and Management and Strategic Competencies (MSC).
- Masters Degree in Social Sciences or any other related field from an accredited academic institution;
- Extensive project management experience (proposal development, report writing, budget management, staff development);
- At least 5 years of experience in a similar position/high management position in the field;
- Excellent communication, negotiation and conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain integrity in performing responsibilities assigned;
- Mature individual, able to work independently, under pressure, able to maintain accuracy, paying attention to details, meeting deadlines and working with minimal supervision;
- Experience of security management in remote areas;
- Significant knowledge of international humanitarian response and donors;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills with proven ability to work effectively and harmoniously with a team of colleagues
- Commitment to and understanding of Tdh aims,values and principles
- Experience working in Dadaab is an advantage.
- Fluent in English and Swahili, Somali an advantage
Abuse Prevention Policy – Operational Risk Management
- Commit to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including: Child Safeguarding Policy, Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Whistle Blowing Policy
- Commit to ensure the best implementation possible of the Tdh Risk Management Policies
- Commit to inform supervisors and to deal with any cases, allegations, or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Tdh Risk Management Policies.
Preference will be given to candidates with the competencies and skills above who originate from Garissa county.
Only candidates that fit the requirements above are invited to submit a cover letter, CV, references, and copies of academic and professional certificates (if requirements are not met or application is incomplete, the application will not be considered).
Candidates from the local community are encouraged to apply.
The application should be emailed to KEN.email@example.com.
Kindly indicate the position on the subject line of the e-mail – only applications which will have complied with this request will be shortlisted.
Kindly note only applications sent to this email address will be considered.
Closing date for the application of this position is 22nd November, 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a written test and oral interview.
Tdh’s recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protect children’s rights, which includes the prevention of all forms of child abuse.
Tdh is an equal opportunity employer.