The Kenya Meat Commission (KMC) was formed in 1950 through an act of parliament with an objective of providing a ready market for livestock farmers and providing high-quality
meat and meat products to consumers. It is a public institution and by far the oldest and the most experienced meat processor in Kenya and the larger East African region. Kenya Meat Commission invites applications from self-motivated and qualified candidates for the following vacancies in its establishment. The particulars of the vacancies are as indicated hereunder.
- Ensure consistency in grading in accordance with regulations.
- Consider and determine all appeals made to him/her under regulations.
- Identify grading problems and recommend remedial action.
- Work together with Production superintendents, veterinary office and livestock department to ensure attainment of departmental targets
- Participate in continuous review of the Standard Operating Procedures and production Work Instructions
- Supervise the work of graders.
- Submit daily grading reports
The ideal candidate shall possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science/ Veterinary/ Animal health courses
- Diploma in meat technology or any other higher level from a recognized institution
- Certificate in meat inspection and grading from recognized institutions
- Five (5) years’ experience in meat grading
- Conversant with Grading Regulations
- Conversant with hygiene requirements in meat processing.
- Advanced computer skills
Key personal attributes / functional skills
The ideal candidate should:
- Be honest, trustworthy and possess a high degree of personal integrity and professionalism.
- Be a team player with ability to motivate staff.
- Demonstrate ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with varied stakeholders.
- Be able customer centric and resourceful in problem solving.
- Able to prevent zoonotic and food borne diseases
- Be able to advise on hygiene and quality of meat meant for human consumption
- Be able to inspect meat meant for human consumption
- Able to grade carcasses correctly and advise farmers, livestock traders and animal transporters on how to handle and produce high quality animals for slaughter
- Be able to instruct ,supervise and advise on all slaughterhouse operations
- Able to control hygiene in slaughterhouse, meat processing establishments and meat transport containers and activities.
- Able to facilitate local and international trade of animals and meat products.
Method of Application
All candidates must meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya on leadership and integrity, and obtain the appropriate certification from the:
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
- Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations
- Higher Education Loan Board (HELB)
- Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
Interested and qualified candidates should fill and submit hard copies of the KMC employment application form which is available on the KMC website www.kenyameat.co.ke accompanied by applications detailed curriculum vitae, academic and professional certificates, national identity card, testimonials, current and expected salary and names and addresses of three referees so as to reach the undersigned not later than 28th June 2019.
Persons living with Disabilities, Women, Youth, persons from minority and/or marginalized groups who meet the requirements of the advertised positions are encouraged to apply. Canvassing will result in automatic disqualification. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The envelope should be marked “CONFIDENTIAL” and indicate the “REFERENCE NUMBER” of the position applied for and be addressed to:
The Managing Commissioner
Kenya Meat Commission
P.O Box 2-00204