Established as a Finance Company in 1983, Equatorial Commercial Bank Limited (ECB) commenced operations as a fully-fledged commercial bank in 1995.
In June 2010 Equatorial Commercial Bank merged with Southern Credit Banking Corporation, creating a new enlarged bank under the Equatorial Commercial Bank brand. The merger gave ECB critical mass to further develop & grow in a dynamic & competitive market place. In 2016 ECB rebranded to Spire Bank.
With a diverse client base, Spire provides a comprehensive package of financial services and products, tailored to suit our clients’ requirements, while keeping our procedures simple and rates competitive.
Head of Legal and Company Secretary
Serve as the Chief Legal advisor for the Board of Directors and the Bank, advisor on legal/regulatory and compliance risk management and Secretary to the Board.
- Administer the legal affairs of the Bank, provide in-house legal research and advice, and manage relationships with external legal advisors for:
- correct perfection of Bank’s securities
- efficient management of the litigation portfolio
- negotiation of agreements/contracts on behalf of the Bank
- Coordinating all commercial legal related matters with the Bank’s external counsel.
- Providing legal advice to management and board as well as identifying new or modified laws and regulations that may affect the Bank’s business and advising management.
- Evaluating legal risks posed by new business activities, products etc. and advising management.
- Assist in structuring of business transactions to minimize legal risks
- Develop and maintain efficient and effective relationships with external counsel, as well as review the performance of the panel of lawyers against the agreed upon SLA’s.
- Scrutinize of all credit and security documents to certify the completeness and correctness
- Preparing and reviewing contracts and other legal documents (facility letters, chattels mortgages, SLAs, contracts)
- Liaise with external lawyers for perfection of security and maintain a bi-weekly schedule of outstanding securities
- Custodian of contracts, certificates, licenses and other legal documents
- Co-ordinate litigation for and against the company.
- Keeping abreast of developments in Corporate Governance practices and advice the business accordingly.
- Serve as central liaison for all engagements with Regulatory authorities
- Review of all Bank’s standard documents from time to time
- In charge of the bank’s Compliance
- Support to Risk and Compliance by ensuring that Bank’s procedures and laid down instructions are followed to minimize legal risks
- Prepare legal risk reports when so required
- Ensuring the regulator is updated promptly on changes in board membership and direct reports to the managing director
- Preparing the application for renewal of the different licenses and policies, annually, within the prescribed time frame;
- Coordinating board and management committee meetings, preparing Board papers, managing attendance of the meetings and ensure minutes are kept
- Preparing, distributing and co-ordinating the follow-up of minutes and matters arising from board and other management committee meetings
- Convening and servicing annual general meetings (AGM) meetings (producing agendas, taking minutes; conveying decisions among other tasks.);
- Providing support to committees and working parties such as the Board of Directors, Board Committees, other banks committee;
- Handling correspondence before and after meetings;
- Providing legal/financial advice during and outside of meetings.
- Secure client financial information and maintain the Bank’s policy and procedure manuals
- Attended to and resolved shareholders’ and directors’ queries and issues.
Education / Qualifications:
- University degree – LLB from recognized university
- Possession of Masters (LL.M, MBA is an added advantage)
- Banking qualifications (AKIB, ACIB is an added advantage)
- Advocate of the High Court
- Experience/Background expected from the job holder:
- An experienced Advocate of the High Court with good exposure to wide complex commercial, conveyancing and debt recovery work pertaining to Banks
- Experience in general company secretarial duties
- Exposure to general banking operations
- Experience in dealing with different stakeholders and diversified viewpoints, and ability to look at issues from multiple dimensions
Method of Application
If you are up to the challenge & fit the required profile, please apply highlighting your qualification, experience and career aspirations match the requirement for this position.
Application should be sent latest 16th August 2019 clearly indicating the position you are applying for on the Subject to: email@example.com