Reporting to Project Coordinator, the Communications and Advocacy Assistant will be responsible for management of the project’s communications in line with ChildFund Kenya Country Office (CO) communications strategy. S/he will apply the strategy to position and showcase coherent messages on EVAC project’s core intent, deliverables and outcomes, within context of the country’s programs and advocacy initiatives. The position will be responsible for enhancing ChildFund’s donor’s and project’s visibility and brand recognition.
The position supports both external and internal communications of the project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities of the Communications and Advocacy Assistant (CAA) Safe CLICS will be:
Working closely with the project coordination and the EVAC implementation partner’s communication persons, the CAA will be responsible for:
- Design a comprehensive communication strategy and plan for the EVAC project
- Implement a comprehensive project communication strategy that profiles the impact of the project using written and visual storytelling.
- Develop, implement and maintain the project’s online communication presence using the existing web and social networks.
- Lead new approaches to creating and distributing multi-media content
Working in close collaboration with ChildFund Child Protection and Advocacy Manager, the Communications and Advocacy assistant will be responsible for:
Support establishment, strengthening and maintaining strategic partnership and alliances with campaign and advocacy partners
Participate in planning, designing, and implementing strategies for policy influencing and advocacy on issues concerning child protection and wellbeing in general and OSEAC in particular
- Support management of risks related to campaigns and advocacy work.
- Participate in development of learning and knowledge products in the area of advocacy that meet standards and enable learning and sharing by documenting approaches, project and program designs and lessons, case studies and other knowledge products. Seek and leverage existing knowledge products in order to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Undertake any other assigned responsibility related to Advocacy
Content Creation and Management:
- Create and deliver content - stories, photos, video, quotes, and other information - that will help the project to build and nurture relationships with donors and the general public, globally. Proactively share stories and visual assets with CO and partner staff. Provide high-quality English translations of all story material.
- Storyteller - visual and written. In accordance with the CO content calendar, collect stories, photos and video about the project to show impact and build donor trust as well as engagement.
- Support the CO Senior Specialist- Communications in to write, edit, and oversee the production of publications such as newsletters, annual report, brochures, policy planning reports, etc.
- Support in ensuring that all project-related content deliverables comply with branding guidelines, child safeguarding standards and other controls of the organization.
- Support Program, Business Development and Advocacy teams in creation of project collaterals and other published material.
- Keep the CO communications content contact appraised of project initiatives, successes, events and other items of potential relevance to CO communications, both internal and external.
- Support in managing rapid collection of project-related child-focused quotes, stories, photo and video in the immediate aftermath of emergencies.
- Knowledge Management & Learning Support: Support to develop and/or ensure project teams develop learning and knowledge products that meet standards and enable CO-wide learning and sharing by documenting approaches, project and program designs and lessons, case studies and other knowledge products.
- Responsible for the project communications, including collateral print materials all toward building the brand.
- Create and deliver project-related content for public messages and branding of the project.
- Support in raising awareness through media of the value and impact of the project.
- Alert Country Office Senior Specialist- Communications to potential reputation risks of the project.
- Support in managing activities, communications, special events, workshops, meetings and conferences.
Alliance Relationship Management:
- Proactively and frequently prepare timely updates for the organizational website and/or CO.
- In consultation and collaboration with Senior Specialist- Communications determine creative and innovative ways to address reporting requirements for the CO using the SMART system (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely) and effective storytelling.
- Support in generating compelling marketing collateral to support CO fundraising initiatives.
- Support development and execution of a CO internal communications strategy and plan in partnership with the project team and based on assessment of audiences and needs.
- Support in curating, developing, and editing content for a variety of CO internal communications mediums to promote "One ChildFund", and deliver content across multiple channels and mediums.
- Help select and roll out existing or new internal communications tools (in partnership with Knowledge Management & Learning and IT), and train project staff in effective communications techniques and usage of tools. (if & when relevant).
- Support internal response to crisis situations which affect perception and reputation
- Remain alert and responsive to any child safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills which will enable you to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child safeguarding policy and procedures and conduct yourself in a manner consistent with Child fund’s Child Safeguarding Policy.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Corporate Communications, Marketing Relations or Community Development.
- 2-4 years of demonstrated work experience in journalism, marketing, public relations, media campaigns, and non-profit communication.
- Proficiency in Policy advocacy, Networking, use of social networking and new media tools.
- A grounded understanding of the children sector
- Experiential engagement in child focused advocacy
- A good understanding of the child protection policy environment in Kenya and beyond.
- Clear grasp of communications strategies and creativity in applying them to raise awareness of ChildFund’ s activities and achievements.
- Analytical skills with knowledge and good understanding of global and national development issues.
- Excellent communications skills, written and oral.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including Excel, Word and Outlook, as well as desktop and web-based publishing, photo and video editing tools.
- Experience in event organization and promotion experience.
- Experience in content collection through case studies and photography.
- Experience in website content management systems. Ability to express technical concepts in clear, simple language for diverse audiences, including the general public.