Location: Fully remote inor neara European time zone
Type: Contractor or permanentdepending on location
Start: Early 2021
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Lead the developer team to deliver the Blue Marble technology strategy, support business objectives, as well as manage day-to-day operations:
- Provide thought leadership, drive technical innovation andcoordinate product development
- Develop a modular and scalable architecturefor both core platforms, own the implementation roadmapand oversee maintenance
- Lead all technical operations:oset up agile delivery processes and define roles in partnership with product ownersoown the project work calendarosupport knowledge transferoseek continuous improvement to increase delivery speed, improve productquality and streamline processes
- Maintain adequate documentation including user guides
- Stay ahead of resource and skill needs: be responsible for recruitment and management of technicaltalent, project onboarding and engagement of freelancers
Desirable knowledge and experience
Individually,or across the developer team you will be building and managing, ensure there is:
- Deep knowledge of Agile methodologies, software development cycles with modern DevOps practices and CI/CD automation
- Experience with cloud services especially Google Cloud. Google Cloud services we currently use: Apigee, Firestore, Cloud PubSub, Cloud Scheduler, Cloud Functions (Python and Nodejs), Cloud Run, Compute Engine, App Engine, Cloud SQL, Cloud Storage, Cloud Identity and Access Management
- Expert knowledge of both scripting and compiled languages
- Familiarity with both relational and non-relational databases
- Experience in building large scale internet APIs and platforms natively in the cloud, handling millions of requests per month
- Experience building event-driven and asynchronous microservices.
- Familiarity with pub/sub and task queues
- Knowledge of web app frameworks like Flask, Django, NodeJS etc.
- Familiarity with mobile technologies: Android, USSD
- Experience working on infrastructure & network automation utilizing scripting
- Knowledge of at least one container orchestration system, preferably Kubernetes.
- Experience building auto scaling infrastructure
- Familiarity with front-end frameworks: React, Angular, Vue, Ember or similar
- Acquaintance with data sciencetechniques and tools like R, Shiny, ML, GIS
Profile and general skills
- Enjoys problem solving
- Comfort working in a dynamic, fast-changing startup environment across multiple geographies, timezones, languages and cultures
- Analytically incisive, comfortable with ambiguityand ability to rapidly size up the bigger picture
- Someunderstanding of insurance operations
- Clear communicator and persuasivenessin aligning organization around complex ideas
- Passionate about social impact in underserved communities
We offer a flexible working environment and a collegial, high-performing team culture. You will have the opportunity to make an immediate and tangible impact in underserved communities across the developing world alongside dedicated and passionate colleagues. Join Blue Marble to boost your career –our unique ownership structure will expose you to top leaders in the insurance industry and international development organizations.
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- CV together with a cover letter explaining your interest and motivation
- Three references
- Compensation expectations
Please note that we will only reply to short listed candidates.
Please also note we will not accept any applications from recruitment agencies