- Deadline for application: 15th Mar 2021
- Job Title: Communications Intern
- Duty Station: Coordination Office, Nairobi with possibility of travel
- Length of internship: 6 months
MSF Kenya is looking to fill the position of a Communications Intern based in Nairobi. The successful candidate will report to the Communications Manager and support in the implementation of the MSF intersectional communications strategy in Kenya (CCF), and work closely with communications colleagues in the MSF Eastern Africa Section and others across the MSF movement – both in field operations teams and those in our offices around the world.
The department’s overall purpose is to communicate, as part of MSF’s social mission, and to provide communications support to MSF’s operational sections in the country. This will be through communications initiatives targeting local, regional and international audiences to support MSF’s patients and operations, as well as the organisation’s wider recruitment and advocacy objectives.
Objective of the Position:
Communications is central to MSF’s social mission and highly valued in Nairobi – a media and humanitarian hub of international importance, located in a region where MSF has a consistently high volume of operations. We require a committed and adaptable intern to provide daily support to our communications team.
Tasks & Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Support the Field Communications Manager (FCM) in the producing communication material including photos, videos, interviews, op-ed, social media posts, operational updates, etc.
- Assist the FCM in producing communications tools related to operations (sensitization material, tee-shirts, posters, radio spots, etc).
- Under the FCM’s supervision, produce and disseminate material for internal operational communications at different MSF levels (field teams, associative members, coordination, communication departments, etc).
- Compile a monthly operational newsletter with the support of the field and FCM.
- Briefing and debriefing of field workers, helping to build the list of spokespeople available to the organisation.
- Helping with logistical arrangements for media events, trainings, and other events.
- Under the supervision of the Communications Manager, generating content for website and helping to keep the platform updated.
- Researching issues and communication trends and coming up with ideas for possible stories
- Providing support to translate materials from English to Swahili, updating internal databases, transcribing interviews
- Due to MSF nature of activities; other duties as assigned by the Supervisor like participating in emergency response as needed
Qualification & Requirements:
- Bachelors degree in Journalism/Public relations/Communications or any other related course. Post graduation period should not be longer than one year from the advert date
- Photography, videography, editing and graphic design skills are desired
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills Competencies
- Strong English & Swahili writing, editing, and proofreading skills · Passion and commitment to humanitarian work and values
- Results and quality oriented, teamwork and cooperation, behavioral flexibility
- Ability and readiness to learn
- Strong organisational skills, energy and enthusiasm; cross cultural awareness
- Service Oriented; analytical thinker
- Confidential in regards to information
If you meet the above requirements, please email your CV & motivation letter as a single file by 25th March 2021 under the subject “CASHIER” to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. (MSF is an equal Employer and does not charge any application/recruitment or training fee)
Interested and qualified? Go to Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) on msf.or.ke