Objective of the internship
To help and support the communication activities carried in the region East Africa, with audiences that are both external (for organisational profiling) and internal (information and technical support needs of colleagues).
The communications intern reports and receives technical guidance from the Senior Regional Communications Officer in East Africa with whom (s)he will be working closely together.
Main duties and responsibilities
Support in implementing the communication planning for the region East Africa
- Produce and publish items on social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn) in support of Terre des Hommes Netherlands’s work in countries and in the region.
- Maintain, update and improve the Terre des Hommes Netherlands website for East Africa, following the Terre des Hommes Netherlands communication planning for East Africa.
- Produce high quality case stories to be used for internal and external communication purposes.
- Produce communication and profiling materials for the region, such as one pager fact sheets.
- Assist in supporting the country teams in their communication needs, such as reviewing Information, Education and Communication materials and stories / reports.
Knowledge and experience
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism or multimedia.
- Experience in Social Media and web content management (including working with content management software), writing and editing for the web and Social Media, graphic design and site management.
- Computer literacy: well conversant with working in the Google Cloud and its applications (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc), including basic skills in working with photo and video editing software.
- Ability to undertake desk research using various (mainly internal) resources.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, in fluent English.
- A good command of French will be an asset.
- Thorough and precise working style, with strong attention to detail.
- Dynamic, self-motivated and self-starting personality who can and will take initiative.
- Social skills to work on his/her own within a team.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of child protection issues in East Africa.
- Ability to plan and organise well, setting goals and achieving results in line with the goals set.
- Ability to respond flexibly to changing priorities.
Interested candidates are invited to write a motivation letter no longer than 250 words in which you describe your career aspiration, how this internship is going to help you in achieving this, and why you think you are the best candidate for this position.
Please send this motivation letter, together with your curriculum vitae and a maximum of three recent examples of your editorial work by email with subject line Communications Intern East Africa to: email@example.com, not later than by Sunday, 28th February 2021. For more information about this internship, you can contact us through the same email address.
Please note that this is a national internship. Applicants must be able to provide proof of the right to live and work in Kenya.
Kindly also note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the expected large responses only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The selection procedure will include an assessment test, and checking of recent professional/academic references.