The Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) was established by an Act of Parliament, Chapter 469 of the laws of Kenya , which became effective on 1st July 1995 . The Authority is charged with the responsibility of collecting revenue on behalf of the Government of Kenya. A Board of Directors, consisting of both public and private sector experts, makes policy decisio...
Read more about this company
DEPARTMENT: Customs & Border Control
DIVISION: Trade Facilitation
Commissioner – Customs & Border Control
Chief Manager – Trade Facilitation (AEO, PAC, Port Charter, ROO)
Chief Manager - Remissions & Exemptions
Chief Manager – Bonds Management
Manager – TPS
This role is responsible for overseeing the trade facilitation initiatives in compliance with national and international trade treaties and conventions.
- Managerial /Supervisory responsibilities
- Overseeing Trade Facilitation programs and initiatives; rules of origin, Authorized Economic Operator (AEO), Trade Facilitation Agreements (TFAs) (WTO, AU), pre- arrival clearance, export management.
- Oversee management of Remissions and Exemption regimes for the department.
- Oversee Customs bonds management.
- Oversee coordination of departmental taxpayer services programmes.
- Establish and maintain liaison and working relationships with Government Agencies, Departments and other stakeholders to enhance effective Customs operations.
- Oversee analysis and implementation of legislation and policy guidelines and strategies for smooth running of Customs operations.
- Day-to-day operations, supervision, management of performance and development of staff in the Division
- Facilitate implementation of the work plans for the following corporate initiatives in the unit: Division: Audit, Integrity, QMS and Risk Management.
- Development and management of the Divisional work plan and budget.
- Drive initiatives to improve ethics, culture and facilitate change management in the division.
- Development & utilization of Divisional budgets.
- Collection of Revenue arising at Trade Facilitation Division
Responsibility of Physical assets
- Responsible over office assets
Decision making /Job influence
- Makes managerial, strategic and financial decisions.
- Assigns, monitor and evaluates work of Direct reports
- Works predominantly within the office with minimal field visits during engagements with other stakeholders.
Job Competencies (Knowledge, experience and attributes/skills)
- A bachelor’s degree in a business-related field from a recognized institution
Professional qualification/membership to professional bodies :
- Postgraduate qualifications in Customs Administration and membership to a professional body is an added advantage
- Minimum of Ten (10) years’ work experience in trade facilitation within Customs or equivalent environment with at least Five (5) years in a senior management role.
Functional skills/Behavioural competencies /attributes
- Strategic agility
- Excellent leadership and people management skills
- Good knowledge of Customs Legislation, Regulation and Procedures
- Good awareness of operating environment
- Results driven and analytical
- Problem solving
- Analytical thinking
- Strong decision-making skills
- Excellent negotiation and conflict management skills
- Risk management and analysis
- Mentoring and coaching
- Excellent oral and written communication skills