Role and responsibilities
The role of the Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) Project Coordinator is to implement the delegated ICLA project portfolio in Dadaab. The ICLA Project Coordinator has overall responsible for the successful implementation of ICLA projects in Dadaab in compliance with NRC policies, guidance, and procedures. This includes the day-to-day management of all ICLA staff and through successful utilisation of the Project Cycle Management (PCM) frameworks for the delivery of timely and quality projects. The Project Coordinator will contribute to ICLA strategy development and building ICLA projects in Dadaab through supporting identifying gaps and proposal development. The Project Coordinator will be responsible for developing strong working relationships to ensure integration with other NRC programmes and with a wide range of external stakeholders to ensure that ICLA projects are being delivered within wider coordination in Dadaab. The ICLA Project Coordinator will identify and carry out relevant capacity building and training opportunities both internally and with external partners. The ICLA Project Coordinator is responsible for team cohesion and is expected to project professional image and lead by example. The Project Coordinator will ensure that regular protection/legal analysis of the situation of refugees located in the Dadaab camp complex and surrounding host community is conducted and support relevant research to develop ICLA’s programme in Dadaab in terms of project delivery and engaging in policy and advocacy with external stakeholders.
- Ensure use of Project Cycle Management (PCM) systems and tools for the management and implementation of delegated portfolio of ICLA projects (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements.
- Overall responsibility for ensuring quality monitoring, evaluation and learning with support of the M&E team at field and Nairobi levels. Provide regular progress reports to the AM and ICLA Specialist
- Line management of ICLA project field staff and community staff to create effective team environment.
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures and donor requirements
- Represent NRC at the relevant inter-agency forums and with local authorities.
- Contribute to ICLA strategy development, project proposals and provide analysis on needs and gaps. Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in activities.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills.
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities, camp management and other key stakeholders.
- Promote the rights of refugees/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- Contribute to preparation of donor proposals.
- Developing, adapting, and ensuring compliance with NRC Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), guidelines and tools in relation to provision of quality information, counseling, legal assistance, and referral activities.
- Oversight to ensure quality of the provision of information and outreach opportunities, direct counseling, and legal assistance services by ICLA and coordination with partners on complementary services.
- Meeting regularly with refugee and host community representatives to explain NRC’s ICLA activities and engage them in project implementation.
- Ensuring that NRC engages in protection sector and other relevant working groups and coordination and developing both internal and external protection referral pathways.
- Ensure the testing, adaption and use of client intake and case management forms for counseling, legal assistance and referral services and ensure confidentiality and protection of client data.
- Support the conducting of awareness raising, capacity building and training activities for communities, government officials and NGOs on ICLA thematic areas including housing, land and property rights and collaborative dispute resolution.
- Prepare and compile weekly, monthly, and mid and end term reports for AM, APM and Specialist
- Manage the sector budgets and ensure that over and underutilization is controlled.
- Prepare and oversee ICLA continuous assessments, mapping and investigation and supervise data collection during ICLA surveys and assessments.
- Manage staff expectations through regular dialogue/meetings and information sharing.
- Any other tasks as assigned by line manager.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Project planning: ICLA Specialists
- Area operations: Support Coordinators
- Staff capacity building: CC Specialists, HR
- Implementation: APM and ICLA Specialist
- UNHCR, Refugee Affairs Secretariat, local authorizes, protection, health, education and livelihoods partners in the camps
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
Generic professional competencies:
- Experience from working project management position in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Strong communication, coordination, and negotiation skills.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge, and experience:
- University degree in law, political science, social science, or other relevant discipline.
- Minimum 5 years humanitarian experience with refugees/internally displaced persons (IDPs) at field level with an NGO or other international organization.
- Good understanding of the refugee context in Kenya
- Experience in PCM, M&E reporting
- Technical experience in delivery of training, client management including information, counselling and legal assistance and case management
- Handling insecure environment
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Management performance and development
- Planning and delivering results