Purpose of the role:
The Key Account Manager Africa will coordinate and be responsible for CABIs fund raising efforts from local donor desks in Africa, in alignment with CABI’s strategic donor (Key Account) needs and opportunities. Reporting to the CABI Africa Regional Director, this new role will work closely with CABI’s KAM team and senior programme staff to increase engagement with and grow funding from the local delegations of CABI’s key bilateral and multilateral donors. Through the adoption of strategic account management processes, a collaborative approach will be taken in order to develop and win funding opportunities.
The KAM Africa will play a key role in expanding CABI’s international development portfolio in Africa, supporting the engagement of senior CABI staff with its funders, and growing the funding pipeline for CABI’s main programmes and initiatives in Africa.
- Identify, recommend and win support for funding opportunities which reflect and respond to local demand
- Identify, establish and maintain a network of contacts within local delegations, in particular those in the focus countries for key donors.
- In conjunction with CABI’s annual donor action plans, adopt strategic account management processes to significantly grow CABI’s project portfolio in Africa.
- Identify local donor desk needs and how these align with CABIs goals and objectives.
- Systematically cultivate connections and work collaboratively towards funding proposals, ensuring relationships are managed professionally in order to develop profitable and growing business.
- Ensure representation of CABI at relevant events, to raise CABI’s profile and seek opportunities for engagement, building relationships with key and prospective funders and collaborators, including opportunities to act as a sub-contractor where direct funding is not possible.
- Assist colleagues with presentation opportunities to opinion leaders and decision makers within Key Accounts
- Record market knowledge and competitive position through active maintenance of the organisational Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system. Manage archiving of key documentation, including funding agreements in CABI’s institutional repository (SharePoint).
- Work with colleagues within the commercial department to plan and implement tactical marketing activities
- Undertake regular personal visits to customers, partners and collaborators
The appointed candidate will have extensive experience at senior level in business development coordination and a proven track record in identifying key opportunities for new business development in Africa. Working alongside colleagues in CABI’s International Development and Commercial departments, s/he will develop and implement plans to grow CABI’s funding pipeline, thereby contributing to the achievement of CABI’s overall operational and strategic objectives
Education & Qualifications
- Academic and/or business development background, relevant to fund raising in agriculture and the environment.
- Master’s degree or equivalent from a reputable university.
- Demonstrable experience in successful business development with either development agencies, funding bodies, academia and/or private sector in Africa
- Fluency required in spoken and written English and French. Knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic will be an added advantage.
- Computer literacy required, fluent with MS packages and experience of CRM systems
- Working with African government departments / in government sector, ideally in a fund-raising or project implementation capacity (essential)
- Experience of working in a cross-cultural and multidisciplinary team environment, for example in an international organisation, International NGO or multinational company (essential)
- Experience of working with private sector (desirable)
- ·Excellent interpersonal, communication, negotiation and presentational skills - articulate, persuasive and confident
- Good networker, focused on building excellent professional relationships and client management
- A collaborative team-player who can work across a matrixed environment
- Professional and business oriented: understanding need for financial returns on mission-driven project delivery
- Both agile and organized: able to plan and meet objectives and to prioritise and deliver against deadlines
- Flexible, pragmatic and ambitious, with an eagerness to learn
- Ability to undertake international travel, up to 15 weeks pa
- Please note that a behavioural assessment will be part of the selection process.
CABI is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation or marital status. No applicant will be disadvantaged by conditions which cannot be shown to be justified and selection will be based on merit.