At AGRA we believe Agriculture is the single greatest opportunity to deliver inclusive economic growth, jobs, and health to the African continent. An alliance led by Africans with roots in farming communities across the continent combined with an inclusive and diverse workforce from 24 nationalities. Our values of (I-RISE; Integrity, Respect, Innovation, Stewardship and Equity.) espouse our commitment to a call to action to go beyond ourselves as we arise and transform Africa’s Agriculture.
When you join us, we present you with intellectually stimulating assignments and structured career advancement with 30% of open roles being filled internally through promotions and transfers, and a Leadership commitment for this ratio to increase. This is after setting you up for success with a World Class Onboarding for new hires where a bespoke induction trains on all aspects of the role that you will need to succeed. You will gain a full understanding of our lofty ambitions to transform African agriculture, and how you can contribute to an amazing employee experience.
We are looking for people who are passionate about Africa, curious and collaborative to join our innovative, growing, and multidisciplinary team.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visitwww.agra.org
Key Duties and Responsibilities
In consultation with the General Counsel & Corporation Secretary, the candidate is expected to carry out the following activities:
- Collaborate with AGRA’s programs teams to negotiate terms of agreements.
- Review donor and grant agreements ensuring terms and conditions are compatible with AGRA’s policies and procedures including intellectual property guidelines, procurement rules, financial policy etc.
- Negotiate, perfect and facilitate execution of contractual documentation.
- Ensure effective turnaround of contractual arrangements in support of AGRA’s programs and unit efficiency.
- Develop and continuously review service level agreements between various AGRA programs and units.
- Assess and determine the adequacy, validity, and enforceability of contractual and collateral documentation.
- Develop, review, and maintain templates grants and contract documentation and manage AGRA’s contract system.
- Ensure effective mitigation of legal risks through sound contract drafting and management.
- Oversee the proper recording and filing of all contractual documents.
- Provide continuous education to AGRA on contract management.
- Build capacity of staff on relevant legal issues affecting AGRA’s operations and on AGRA’s internal policies.
- Maintain current knowledge of laws and regulations prevailing in AGRA countries.
AGRA Country Support
- Review country governance and operational documents.
- Coordinate compliance in countries with all stakeholders to ensure seamless and effective country operations.
- Review partnership arrangements between AGRA and key relations including host governments, sponsoring ministries and in country partners.
- Under the General Counsel & Corporation Secretary, respond to requests from the different divisions in providing timely, practical well researched legal advisories touching on AGRA’s operations including advisories on employment matters, tax and general operational issues arising.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience
- A Bachelor of Laws degree and post graduate diploma in law/legal practice certificate. A master’s degree shall be an added advantage.
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience post admission.
- Over 7 years demonstrable experience in providing legal counsel with top tier law firms or in a busy corporation or multi-national.
- Regional experience (East Africa, South Africa and/or West Africa).
- Exceptional written and verbal skills, particularly in English.
- Exceptional skills in contracting and providing well researched legal advisory to the business.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability and personality to work both independently and collaboratively, accept responsibility, and motivate colleagues.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to [email protected] noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 12th August 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer