Anticipated Start Date: Immediately
Duration: One Year with possibility of extension based on performance
In order to fulfill its mandate, PACIDA is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the position of Lobby and Advocacy Advisor to be based in Marsabit.
The Lobby and Advocacy Advisor will be responsible for supporting programming of PACIDA’s “KEN 1207-22 / SRAPLEA II” project with a focus on international and national lobbying and advocacy promotion taking into account: Pastoralism, Livestock, Natural Resource management, Cross-border issues, Food and Nutrition security, inclusive of building community resilience to plan, prepare for and respond to disasters.
The ideal candidate will be an influencer and thought leader, championing and shaping agendas on Lobby and Advocacy on Pastoralism & Climate change adaptation. He/She will lead the project’s advocacy agenda. He/She will build relationship, partnership and networks for the execution of effective advocacy strategies. He/She is both hands-on and able to do project design, planning, project management, and analysis. Based in Marsabit and reporting to the Programme Coordinator, the incumbent’s duties and responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Lobby & Advocacy Advisor will be responsible for shaping the organizations’ response to emerging policy trends and other advocacy issues.
- Working with a variety of stakeholders, they play a key role in horizon scanning and maximizing the organizations’ opportunities for external engagement, thereby furthering the advocacy course.
- Developing, preparation, and conduct regular communication/ advocacy needs assessments on the project.
- Leading the execution of the projects’ advocacy initiatives. (Define advocacy priorities, targets, and strategies at the regional level with a focus on advancing policy change, raising awareness of the project’s s work, and influencing decision-makers to prioritize climate change adaptation activities)
- Supporting county-level advocacy initiatives in project.
- Focusing on strategic engagement with key stakeholders including leadership in the county.
- Organize events, meetings and campaigns to ensure the advocacy plan of the project is active and moving in the right direction.
- Reviewing and providing technical input into the policies, practices, and budgets of key stakeholders.
- Building and managing partnerships, coalitions, and alliances to advance the organization’s advocacy goals.
- Identifying and managing opportunities for effective implementation of the project
- Gathering and analyzing information and trends, conducting situational and policy analyses, and disseminating regular updates across key internal stakeholders.
- Advising on the development of communication and advocacy messages and materials on the project.
- Support staff to strengthen their skills and abilities in advocacy and lobbying.
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the Program Coordinator.
- At least 6 years of experience working in advocacy and/or public affairs aimed at influencing policy change, including the development of effective advocacy strategies.
- Knowledge of environmental management and climate change.
- Experience developing and managing advocacy initiatives to influence communities and policymakers.
- Strong analytical, writing, editing, and verbal skills for communicating with broad and diverse stakeholders.
- Effective as a collaborator in complex internal and external organizations.
- Proven ability to build and cultivate strong relationships.
- Flexible and ability to work under pressure in emergency situations.
- Strong commitment to the organization’s mission, vision and strategies
- Ability to manage time, multitask and prioritize
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet, etc.
- English & Kiswahili fluency are minimum requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in either communication journalism, Public relations, marketing, social sciences, education, environmental/public health or any related field that yields the required competencies. The prerequisite Bachelor’s Degree must have a strong Lobby & Advocacy component.
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join PACIDA’S dynamic team, please submit your application to; firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting position in the email subject matter, by Wednesday 28th September, 2022.
Applications should include the following:
- An updated CV; and
- An application letter which should include cover letter, remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Kindly note that due to the urgency of the position, CVs will be shortlisted on on-going basis. PACIDA reserves the right to hire prior to the application deadline. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
PACIDA is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Canvassing will lead to disqualification.