The Policy Specialist will support the Greening & Sustainability Team of the Global Mobility and Infrastructure Service (GMIS) within the Division of Financial and Administrative Management (DFAM). DFAM contributes to safeguarding the financial resources entrusted to UNHCR by maintaining and improving the financial and administrative systems, policies and procedures and promoting cost-effective and transparent use of these resources. GMIS is a new service within DFAM which merges four functions: global fleet management, global travel, global facilities management and global asset management. Greening & Sustainability is one of GMIS main cross-functional areas.
The Policy Specialist will focus mainly on supporting the Greening & Sustainability Team in policy and guidelines development.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop, coordinate and launch policy and guidelines for a UNHCR levy/green tax on e.g. commercial air travel, and vehicles;
- Conduct research and analysis on existing policies e.g. from other UN-agencies in this area and conclude on most suitable approach for UNHCR;
- Develop, coordinate and launch UNHCR-wide environmental policy to guide UNHCR Offices on internal UNHCR carbon emission sources such as travel, facilities and fleet management, waste and water management, and building management;
- Support in creating a UNHCR-wide Environmental Management System (EMS) as part of UNHCR’s management system;
- Support the Greening & Sustainability Team with the development of technical guidelines and best practices in the implementation of clean energy interventions;
- Coordinate consultations with all relevant experts including UNHCR colleagues at HQ (travel, facilities, global fleet), in Regional Bureaux and Country Offices as well as colleagues from other UN agencies and external experts;
- Prepare supporting material, communication content and analytical reports and liaise with GMIS Communications Associate and the Special Coordinator for Internal Communications in publishing and promoting developed policies and guidelines internally on the UNHCR Intranet and other platforms;
- Ensure compliance of UNHCR policy guidelines and Greening & Sustainability strategy as well as with UN-wide methodologies and Greening the Blue targets;
- Perform other duties as required.
- UNHCR policy/guideline on internal levy/green tax and UNHCR-wide environmental policy to guide UNHCR Offices on internal UNHCR carbon emission sources such as travel, facilities and fleet management, waste and water management, and building management
- Delivery Periodicity, as applicable: each working month short written summary of work done to be together submitted with invoice, actions required from co-workers and information on the work steps to follow, as well as pending items that need resolution
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
- Academic qualifications: Advance university degree in engineering, sustainable development studies, economics, business administration, environmental management, or relevant fields.
- Experience: A minimum of six years relevant professional experience involving technical and analytical responsibilities; knowledge of policy writing, experience in environmental context desirable; proven data collection, analysis and communication skills; proven record in producing simple, clear, and high-quality strategic documents; familiarity with and professional experience directly related to energy and infrastructure topics an asset; experience working in humanitarian or global development settings, and/or for the UN or other humanitarian/development agencies preferred.
- Language: Fluency in English required. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
The successful candidate will be based in Nairobi, Kenya or home based.
The consultancy is for six months and the expected start date is 17 January 2021. It is a fulltime role with working hours starting from 9.00am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week).
Supervisor of the Individual Consultant: project Coordinator Greenbox, Greening & Sustainability Team, GMIS, DFAM