Main purpose of job:
Providing compliant, auditable, effective and efficient procurement functions across British High Commission (BHC) Nairobi in compliance with UK Government procurement policies. Managing relationships with key contractors, undertaking timely tendering exercises, liaison and coordination with suppliers to clarify requirements and improving the British High Commission, Nairobi’s (BHC) internal procurement functions.
Collaborating with other Corporate Services team leaders on compliance issues to ensure that the BHC meets all internal reporting standards, primarily around procurement. Offering advice on procurement policies and procedures to the entire BHC.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Manage and control all BHC’s external suppliers with particular emphasis on service and maintenance contracts, furniture, transport and building supplies.
- Ensure tender exercises are undertaken in a timely and professional manner, to FCDO’s policy/standards and in compliance with Kenyan law.
- Establish and maintain formal feedback mechanisms for each contract so BHC staff can share ownership and report issues.
- Verify new external suppliers to ensure they are a legitimate business and comply with all local laws, while meeting quality standards and providing value for money.
- Manage the Mission’s supplier database.
- Work with teams to increase usage of government procurement cards and corporate credit cards
- Identify weaknesses in current procurement management and procedures, prioritising issues on the basis of risk, and developing plans to rectify.
- Review the current purchasing function and skills base, identify procurement training needs, implement improvements and drive down costs.
- Review options for out-sourcing functions currently done in house.
Procurement Delivery (below £25k)
- Manage the contract tender process of various procurement/contract-related goods, services or work projects.
- Agree specifications, prepare of tender documentation, and liaise with suppliers to clarify requirements.
- Source suppliers, coordinate evaluation of bids, seek appropriate approval.
- Manage closure of contracts, ensuring that they meet legal, audit, HM Treasury and Cabinet Office requirements
Supplier Relationship Management
- Review and manage supplier relationships with the help of Post contract managers.
- Facilitate resolution of contractual disputes, taking appropriate action to protect the BHC’s interest.
Support to Procurement Hub (contracts above £25k)
- Work closely with the Africa Procurement Hub to deliver procurements above £25k
- Ensure accurate reporting, stakeholder training and compliance across all procurements
- Work closely with the Director Corporate Services and the Head of Finance to identify and address compliance issues.
- Disseminate procurement best practice across BHC teams.
- Provide procurement and compliance training to all teams annually.
- Undertake mystery shopper exercises.
- Oversee the annual internal-audit check of procurement systems.
- Oversight of procurement team of three, including direct line management of one staff member
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Experience of running large and complex tenders
- Relevant post-graduate or professional qualification (e.g. holds or studying towards CIPS Level 4 or higher)
- A minimum of 1-2 years’ experience of sourcing goods, services and works.
- Demonstrated project management experience from conception to delivery ideally within a procurement context
- Extensive experience of developing good working relationships with key stakeholders at all levels