To support the successful delivery, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Program Manager, SEEDSAT.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya with travel, approximately 20-30%.
At AGRA we believe Agriculture is the single greatest opportunity to deliver inclusive economic growth, jobs, and health to the African continent. An alliance led by Africans with roots in farming communities across the continent combined with an inclusive and diverse workforce from 24 nationalities. Our values of (I-RISE; Integrity, Respect, Innovation, Stewardship and Equity.) espouse our commitment to a call to action to go beyond ourselves as we arise and transform Africa’s Agriculture.
When you join us, we present you with intellectually stimulating assignments and structured career advancement with 30% of open roles being filled internally through promotions and transfers, and a Leadership commitment for this ratio to increase. This is after setting you up for success with a World Class Onboarding for new hires where a bespoke induction trains on all aspects of the role that you will need to succeed. You will gain a full understanding of our lofty ambitions to transform African agriculture, and how you can contribute to an amazing employee experience.
An attractive remuneration package benchmarked at the 67Th Percentile of the Market with fabulous benefits such as pension, medical cover, life assurance and provision of tools of trade that allow you to work productively anywhere; which are commensurate with this position’s responsibility, scope and impact.
We are looking for people who are passionate about Africa, curious and collaborative to join our innovative, growing, and multidisciplinary team.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Reporting to the Head, Seed Research and Systems Development, the Program Manager, SeedSAT will be responsible for engaging in both a design phase and an implementation phase for SeedSAT.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
This initial phase will cover the first year of the job description but will also overlap with early implementation steps.
- Serve as a full team member and primary staff support to the SeedSAT Design Team, which will be responsible for transferring the beta version of SeedSAT (developed and tested for Nigeria and Ethiopia under a team funded by BMGF and led by DAI in 2020/21) into the generic model that will be utilized by AGRA. The initial design phase is expected to last through Nov. 2021.
- Work closely with the design consultant to ensure full integration of the SeedSAT work into both AGRA’s technical teams at headquarters and AGRA’s country teams targeted for SeedSAT rollout.
- Serve as the primary liaison and project linkage point with AGRA’s IT team to receive the digital version of SeedSAT from DAI, understand how it is constructed, and develop AGRA’s final version for use in the rollout.
- Develop and present SeedSAT overview, analysis, examples, background materials, etc., for internal syndication, country team briefings and instruction, and external partner briefings.
- Lay the groundwork for full implementation of SeedSAT into the target countries, including preparation of training materials.
This phase will cover the rollout of SeedSAT to an additional eight AGRA countries, initially, plus additional potential countries as identified. SeedSAT introduction to the first four countries, plus initial data collection efforts (particularly in the area of 1) Policy, Legal and Regulatory, and 2) National Quality Assurance) will begin as soon as SeedSAT is introduced to the countries.
- Lead and direct the AGRA team, both direct report(s) and AGRA HQ and country participants, in rolling out SeedSAT to an additional eight countries, plus additional countries as identified
- Develop full workplans and timelines for SeedSAT implementation in the target countries
- Working with the AGRA country teams, construct and maintain complete lists of critical resource persons, decision makers, and key individuals for national syndication
- Ensure timely, accurate and complete collection of all data needed to analyse SeedSAT, to include country questionnaires, interviews, surveys and site visits, desk research, and other approaches as identified
- Identify, contract, and manage external consultants contracted to support SeedSAT thematic areas
- Lead the collection, synthesis and analysis of the data required for the eight SeedSAT thematic areas: 1) breeding, variety release and maintenance; 2) policy, legal and regulatory; 3) EGS; 4) seed production; 5) national quality assurance; 6) seed markets; 7) farmer awareness and education; and 8) national planning and coordination.
- Develop recommendations for investment arising from the analysis,
- Prepare all materials required to communicate SeedSAT analysis, recommendations and overall findings, and lead the communication efforts to syndicate the findings with relevant stakeholders
- Ensure SeedSAT assessment scores and information are accurately incorporated into the digital platform housing SeedSAT
- Update progress made versus SeedSAT recommendations and indicator scores
- Design and oversee, and implement at required, SeedSAT-related analyses, e.g., case studies of successful implementation of recommendations, economic impact studies, business impact studies.
- Assist AGRA’s Head of Seed Systems and Head of Policy in refining of consultancies, project proposals and grant memos for sub-grants in to ensure documents are well-prepared in advance for submission to Procurement and the Grants Unit
- Work with AGRA’s IT team to manage day-to-day monitoring and support of the SeedSAT digital platform, and to upgrade and improve the digital platform as needs arise
- Work with AGRA’s IT team to define and maintain stakeholder access to the SeedSAT digital platform, while maintaining confidentiality of SeedSAT data as required
- Serve as the key technical point person working with AGRA’s ICT to ensure security of data maintained in the system and compliance to AGRA’s ICT policies and applicable data regulations
- Serve as the liaison point for project/SEEDSAT system audit activities.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience
- Advanced University (Masters) degree in agriculture, seed science, economics, information systems, rural development, business management, finance or related subject.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in project management – preferably in agriculture, particularly seed, across multiple countries – and related interventions.
- Proven experience in engagement and partnership with governments.
- Demonstratable experience in IT systems development and management, and/or IT project coordination.
- Proven leadership, communication and coordination skills.
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary team in multicultural environment.
- Proficiency in both spoken and written English. French is also desirable but not required.
- Strong inter-personal skills and excellent oral communication skills.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to [email protected] noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 23rd July 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested and qualified? Go to Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) on