Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
We are a privately owned, hands on business, operating with over 1500 acres of prime land. We run three different farms to provide climatic diversity. We have invested heavily in dams, boreholes and waterpans to ensure irrigation is a key asset for us.
Reporting To: Managing Director
Supervises: QAM, QAS, QFM, Quality Controllers, Hygiene,
Terms of Service: Parmanent
POSITION SUMMARY & PRIMARY OBJECTIVE
The incumbent in this position is responsible for overall technical matters at the Packhouse running and coordination of farm operations to ensure maximum production of safe, quality, legal and authentic product in order to optimize the company market share and improve the farms efficiency and productivity and at the same time ensuring staff welfare and protection and conservation of the environment.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Job holder will be expected to demonstrate commitment and loyalty and perform all duties in accordance with the organization’s office routines and procedures, keeping in mind the overall business objectives.
- The main purpose of this position is to oversee and conduct internal audits that conform to food safety, quality and standard operating procedures. Ensure that products, systems and procedures are compliant with customers’ codes of practice and specifications.
- In conjunction with the quality assurance manager, oversee the technical functions for the vegetables section whilst ensuring that all hygiene and quality procedures are operated in adherence with documented procedures as outlined in the QMS.
- Communicate all aspects of Technical policy to Technical team.
- Provide up to date technical advice for specific areas of technical responsibility
- Ensure accurate and prompt responses and consequent corrective action to all technical incidences including customer complaints, micro out of spec, audit non-conformity, pesticide residues, MRLs, and any other non-conformity.
- Use QMS data to monitor and review performance taking appropriate action and implementing product and process improvement.
- Conduct internal audits of the canteen and company systems including all production, process, hygiene and quality systems and continually review, develop the technical and production systems with the aim of improving their effectiveness and efficiencies. Follow up on external audits corrective/ improvement plans.
- Implement requirements of the Global nurture and BRC standards, Tesco food standards, and any other relevant standards for factory.
- Keep up to date with technical developments and encourage the continual development of our products and processes.
- Instigate and manage production process and development trails.
- Manage all aspects of food safety relating to vegetable pack house, pest control, farm production areas, canteens and ensure that they comply with the relevant legislations.
- Manage and monitor cleaning chemical costs and ensure they do not exceed budget.
- Provides support and cover for the quality assurance manager.
- Ensure all technical staff are trained in order to perform jobs adequately and specifically to ensure quality products are delivered with a minimum of wastage and optimization of stock control.
- Oversee the Global nurture and BRC standards.
- Ensure all the cold rooms meet both hygiene and sanitation standards.
- Act as a point of contact for the technical department, Oversee development and implementation of the relevant technical SOPs.
- Develop documentation and participate in review of all technical data and implementation and review of the current internal procedures as need arises or as advised.
- In charge of Documents control for the Pack house.
- Any other duty as may be assigned to you by the management from time to time
- People Management skills.
- Team player.
- Result oriented.
- Good verbal and communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Possess initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Good numerical and analytical skills.
- Ability to come up with ideas aimed at improving factory quality standards and challenge the status quo.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in either or related disciplines; Food Science and Technology, Horticultural Science, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biology or Chemistry
- At least 3 years related progressive experience in a busy food processing or related industry
- HACCP training and applications
- Other On -Job trainings on quality control
- Promote and project a positive attitude towards the company and its objectives.
- Knowledge of pack house equipment and machinery and the ability to operate and to effectively train others in the safe operations of such.
- Skill and ability to evaluate systems-identify measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance relative to goals of the company.
- Computer acumen and skills e.g. MS word and MS office.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- Production of properly completed, clear & legible records.
- Proper allocation of duties.
- Compliance to policies, procedures & regulations pertaining to Quality assurance.
- Efficient filing & retrieval of all records.
- Effective communication & good interrelationships between fellow operatives and supervisors.
- Timely & efficient response to all out of tolerances as pertaining to Quality assurance.
- Minimise number of customer quality complaints.
- Reduction of raw material wastage to reasonable levels both at the farm and pack house.
Immediate Subordinates: Technical Assistants, QA Manager and Quality Controllers will report to you, you will be expected to assign duties, guide and support them.
In your absentia duties will be delegated to the Packhouse manager/QA Manager.