Sigalagala Technical Training Institute started in 1950 as Nyanza Technical and Trade School on 33-acre piece of land. It inherited land and buildings from gold miners who had been operating here since the 1930s. It became a National Technical School in 1967 offering courses up to East African Certificate of Education (E.A.C.E.) level. It was one of the best schools in the country that has produced some of the best brains manning key positions both in the public and private sectors today. The buildings on the site were converted into classrooms, workshops and hostels. It was the first vocational training centre in Western Kenya and was called Nyanza Trade School. Basic technical training skills were taught and this included automotive, masonry, carpentry, plumbing and metal work. This was an initiative of the colonial government through the local authorities. The Mackay report (1981) led to further expansion of other post-secondary training institutions besides the establishment of Moi University.
Join our happy subscribers