Department: Human Resource & Administration
Reporting To: Head of Human Resources and Administration
Duty Station: Kenya
Application Start Date: 12th March 2021
Application Closing Date: Open
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise providing asset and SME finance, leasing, insurance, and financial literacy to new customers, and consumer finance to qualified existing customers.
It was formally established in 2012 in Uganda and is a technology-enabled asset financier of income-generating assets for proven entrepreneurs, using a lease-to-own product to offer an affordable path to ownership of these assets. Tugende empowers customers unable to access formal credit and has financed over 35,000 customers.
About this job:
Tugende’s ongoing rapid growth creates immense opportunities for innovation, improvement alongside the expansion of core business streams. Because the core business is growing so quickly, the Human Resource Department has the challenge and privilege of providing fast and effective support to Tugende as a whole. This includes ensuring Tugende has the right people, at the right time, and that all employees have a rewarding work experience while contributing to Tugende’s overall mission of helping people help themselves.
The principal functions of the Human Resource Manager will be:
- To provide leadership and technical support for strategic Talent planning and acquisition
- Support Talent performance, learning, and Growth
- HR- Policy Review, Development, and Legal Compliance
- Contributing to the successful delivery of all HR departmental initiatives/projects
The key responsibilities include:
- Talent Planning and Acquisition: Responsible for developing, defining, and implementing short and long term company annual manpower plans;
- Undertake and analyze manpower productivity and workforce measurement within the entire organization.
- Work closely with departmental/ functional heads to understand their staffing requirements and make relevant recommendations.
- Create and monitor manpower and workforce planning models.
- Create annual recruitment plans based on current headcount, business strategy, and budgets that feed into the annual Human Resource work plan.
- Talent Acquisition: Develop long-term effective recruiting strategies and nurture trusting relationships with potential hires, create strong talent pipelines for our company’s current and future hiring needs.
- Work with department heads to develop and refine job descriptions, announcements, post advertisements internally, on social media, and with other external recruitment agencies.
- Work with head of departments to develop assessment tools such as test questions, case studies, and rating standards within established procedures
- Support the hiring managers with the review of online applications, evaluation of qualifications of both internal and external candidates, conducting interviews to analyze candidate experience and fit, and developing shortlists of potential candidates.
- Ensure reference checks and background checks of selected candidates, are completed as required to inform hiring decisions.
- Recommend system improvements to current recruitment processes to ensure streamlined, cost-effective, and high-quality services.
- Track application flows and maintains a pipeline of qualified candidates for future consideration.
- Conduct informational interviews with potential candidates. Solicit and prioritize internal referrals.
- Develop and foster long-term relationships with past applicants and potential candidates on social media (Facebook, Linkedin, etc)
- Develop tools for enabling a smooth on-boarding process for new employees, and monitor the orientation process to confirm adherence to the orientation programs
- Conduct training for managers and other staff involved in the recruitment and selection process with regard to interviewing skills and ethical codes of conduct.
- Develop talent acquisition metrics to monitor the talent acquisition agenda, produce talent acquisition reports, and identify areas of improvement in recruitment and selection processes.
- Talent Learning and Growth
- Build a comprehensive learning and development model for Tugende to support growth.
- Develop processes, policies, and strategies to support the delivery of Learning & development initiatives
- Project future training needs based on both the business requirements, changes, and head of department recommendations.
- Develop and implement leadership and competence enhancement programs in line with identified behavioral competence gaps
- Develop a structural process for the identification and analysis of learning and development needs, to ensure that performance gaps or skills gaps are addressed effectively.
- Co-ordinate financial planning, recording, and reporting of all learning and development activities in order to ensure budget management
- Conduct needs assessment to develop and avail business L&D interventions.
- Evaluates the impact of L&D on performance and behavior improvements in order to provide recommendations for future actions.
- Develop and coordinate the production of Learning and Development Content for the different departments or function units
- Ensure quality induction on the organization’s processes & systems to ease new joiners into their functions
- Update and maintain trackers and databases on Learning and Development initiatives
- Provide regular progress reports on various learning initiatives
- Policy development, Implementation, and Compliance
- Provide an effective and dedicated HR advisory service to employees in relation to absence, health issues, conduct and capability, grievance matters, organizational change, and all other employee-relations matters
- Assist in the communication, interpretation, and upkeep of HR-manual, employee directory, and organizational chart, and contributes to the development of policies
- Suggest new procedures and policies to continually improve the efficiency of the HR department and organization as a whole, and to improve the employee experience
- Participate in both the HR department and organizational process audits
- Maintain the work structure by updating job requirements and job descriptions for all positions as necessary
- Ensures legal compliance with applicable employment laws by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource requirements and policies; conducting investigations; maintaining records.
- Coaches and trains managers in their communication, feedback, recognition, discipline management, and interaction responsibilities with the employees who report to them.
- Review employee feedback through the company’s complaint procedure and conduct investigations when required.
- Manage the administrative details of the Disciplinary Committee activities including the required paperwork, investigative report analysis, and communication of the disciplinary decision out-put to the respective parties.
- Monitor the Performance evaluation reviews
- Review and update performance evaluation procedures, guidelines, documents, and training material.
- Follows up on performance evaluation recommendations including monitoring staff on Performance Improvement Plans
- Ensures planning, monitoring, and appraisal of employee work results by training managers to coach and discipline employees; hearing and resolving employee grievances; counseling employees and supervisors
- Support/facilitate performance-related training/ coaching including evaluation tools & forms
- Data management and Human Resource Information Systems administration
- Review trends and people analytics to drive business strategy decisions
- Conduct research and analyze industry-wide publications for benchmarking a variety of HR metrics
- Maintain employee files and records in electronic and paper form
- Maintain all system securities and cost details
- Ensure all employee records are maintained and updated with new information or changes in employment status
- Maintain historical human resource records by designing a filing and retrieval system; keeping past and current records.
- Administration Coordination
- Manage the employee benefits programs including the providers and brokers engagements e.g. Medical insurance, GPA/ WIBA, Study support, etc
- Manage and follow-up applications for travel visas, work permits, etc
- Manage the HR departmental budget
- Manage the budgets and logistics for all the staff engagement activities
NOTE: This job description gives a general guideline, and therefore does not include an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities undertaken by jobholders of this position as it can be changed/amended/add other duties to the job holder of this position from time to time.
Technical (knowledge and skills):
- Strong knowledge of Labor regulations and employment equity
- Effective HR administration and people management skills
- Understanding of general human resources policies & procedures and best practices
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office, HRIS systems, and comfortable learning new technology systems as needed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Works well under pressure and meets tight deadlines
- Fantastic organizational and time management skills
- Meticulous attention to details
- Solid problem- solving and team management abilities
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, ethics, and cultural awareness
Qualification and Work Experience:
- The applicant should possess an advanced degree in Human Resource Management, Industrial/ Organizational Psychology, Business Psychology, or any other related field.
- Minimum of 5- years working as a Human Resource Manager in a large established busy organization.
- Membership to HR professional body such as (MCIPD, SHRM, etc is an added advantage
Personal Attributes and Abilities:
- Innovation: Develops new, better, or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions, or initiatives within your role that result in the improvement of the departmental output and Tugende as a company.
- Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research, and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for the departmental success.
- Service Excellence: Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes, and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed-upon strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; and monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
- Interpersonal Relationships: Knowledge of and the ability to effectively interact within and across departments/units in a constructive and collaborative manner.
- Effective Oral and Written Communication: Understands effective communication concepts, tools, and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.
- Professionalism and maintaining the Tugende Employer Brand: Maintains professionalism when corresponding and negotiating with partners/suppliers. In addition, being Empathetic and personable when dealing with applicants.
- Positive Attitude: main a mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times.
- Flexible and resilient: Willingness to travel, flexible schedule and work hours, seek direct feedback, and see every challenge as an opportunity to grow.
Soft skills that align with Tugende core values
The successful candidate must embrace our shared values at Tugende as a whole:
- We operate with empathy and understanding for everyone (Including; Coach and cheerleader, Dignity, Highly approachable, and Exceptional customer experience; prioritize the customer’s experience)
- We are solutions-oriented (Including; Courage Being proactive, Operational excellence, and Follow-through and ownership)
- We are always growing (Including; Learning, Innovating, and striving to improve, Meritocracy; provides opportunity based on merit)
- We have integrity in all decisions (Including; Fair / honest, Good judgment, Critical thinking)
- We work as a team (Including; being Humble, Dependable, and Supportive)
What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: This is a senior role with significant potential to grow as the company and the Human Resource Department grows. The person in this role can be promoted to Head of Human Resources, HR Regional Business Support Manager, Chief of Staff, will get the opportunity to manage HR projects in the East African region and work with great people across multiple countries and teams
Learning Points: In this position, you will be able to promote a business culture that employees can buy into so that they become more motivated and work more passionately to make Tugende a success, boost your knowledge and understanding of modern human resource principles and practices. Learn more on how to manage key HR- functions and legal legislation compliance in the East African region. Master the skills of stakeholder engagement/ management in a dynamic environment, communication, Interpersonal, multitasking, and planning skills that are useful and transferable to so many jobs within Tugende and other organizations and learn how to do research and different information delivery styles (e.g. the difference in the delivery of information to Senior Management and Direct reports)
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are helping people take control of their economic future and move up the economic ladder. Help be part of this movement!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 520+ Employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our clients. Our headquarters are in Kampala, and we also have offices in Eastern and Western Uganda.
go to method of application »
Reports to: Branch Leader
Job location: Kisumu, Nakuru, Eldoret- Kenya
Job Opening: 16th November 2020
Application Deadline: Open
About this Role:
This position will play an integral role in the operations of Tugende. The Senior Field Intelligence Officer will serve as the main point of contact between Tugende and clients who have any motorcycle security issues. The goal is to help Tugende in maintaining excellent working conditions by keeping our assets and our customers safe and problem-free.
The position involves creating a secure work environment for our staff and customers. As a Senior Field Intelligence Officer, you will be responsible for minimizing theft, vandalism and any other suspicious or criminal behavior, working closely with relevant law enforcement authorities. You will also be a key point of contact for customers who have security challenges, respect customer dignity and professionalism are key attributes for this job.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure all client security issues are dealt with integrity and in a timely manner.
- Support the field team in coordinating collection and recovery operations
- Ensure all field operations conducted by the Field Officers are managed effectively, with safety & care
- Coordinate all security-related measures for Tugende, including making reports and follow-ups with police and other relevant authorities
- Maintain proper record keeping and timely reporting on any security and safety threats to the company
- Ensure safe custody of all company property/assets at all times
- Advise the company on all security-related matters both internally and externally as well as participate in taking corrective/preventive actions on such matters
- Supervise the day and night time security guards
Preferred Skills, knowledge & abilities
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to quickly analyze information and make informed decisions
- Good risk assessment skills
- Ability to build strong professional networks
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision
- Strong emotional intelligence
- Motorcycle riding proficiency with the willingness to quickly develop into expert status
- Proficiency in multiple local languages will be an added advantage
- Computer literate with the ability to use MS Office and Google Suite
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- A diploma preferable in any business-related field from a reputable institution of learning
- Relevant training in security from a recognized institution is an added advantage
- 2 years’ work experience as a Security Officer in a reputable organization.
- Good customer experience and ability to deal with difficult clients
- Hold values similar to our own: Integrity, Empathy, Teamwork, Solutions Oriented and Always growing.
- Confidentiality: Able to handle sensitive information professionally and confidentially
- Positive Attitude: maintain a mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times
- Flexible and resilient: Willingness to travel, flexible in schedule and work hours, seek direct feedback and see every challenge as an opportunity to grow.