Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
World Vision is an international Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation working in almost 100 countries world-wide to create lasting change in the lives of children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.
- To provide technical support in Sustainable Natural Resource Management (NRM), implementation, capacity building, coordination and monitoring functions of IMARA Program within the program sites. This is towards inspiring a sustainable natural resource management as part of the Kenya ASAL policy and Ending drought emergencies (EDE) framework aimed to support increased resilience of vulnerable communities in the ASAL counties of Kenya. The incumbent will be instrumental in capacity building and coordination of key program stakeholders on IMARA Program efforts aimed at enhancing rangeland management and dryland forest management strengthening tree based value chains and Non Wood Forest products, increased access to and protection of water resources, promote sustainable and renewable energy options plus Disaster Risk Management. S/he will also be responsible for tracking program uptake, especially with respect to program targets, besides documentation, reporting, and performing other M&E functions as regards reaching the target beneficiaries. The position Holder must be able to communicate World Vision's Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that is an example to others
Duties and Responsibilities
Effective Technical Program design, Planning and Implementation
- Work closely with the Senior Program Manager to provide effective and innovative technical advice in the IMARA Program towards reaching the program goal.
- Responsible for the implementation of the all activities in the IMARA program with focus on Rangeland/dry land forest management, Water access and protection, Disaster Risk Management and Renewable energy options in partnership with partners within the consortium.
- Provision of technical skills in integrated natural resource management practices across communities and partners in targeted areas
- Train the partners, selected farmer groups and partners on the various recommended focal areas (Community Based Natural Resource management, Dry land forestry, Climate smart agriculture, Sustainable energy options, soil and water conservation, Disaster Risk management, Advocacy and policy influence etc).
- Support implementation of water access and protection for enhanced water supply in collaboration with relevant line ministries
- Mobilization of smallholder farmers into Farmers Marketing groups geared to strengthen tree-based value chains market systems enhancing increased production
- Develop a program capacity building plan of action for partners, CBOs and Community Owned Resource Persons as per context with specific focus on the key objectives.
- Ensure timely and efficient expenditure at acceptable levels as per donor requirements
- Actively participate in the collection and collation of views from stakeholders for the development of program plans and budgets
- Providing technical leadership and supporting collaborative partnership engagements within the IMARA NRM focus areas across county.
- Contribute to effective and timely implementation of all levels of interventions and initiatives with communities and partners;
- Collaborate with Senior Program manager, IMARA MEAL Coordinator, Program Director and the Environment and Climate Change specialist to effectively support the program to carry out all measurements – baselines, assessments, designs, monitoring and evaluations in accordance with Consortium guidelines and donor requirements.
- Support the program technically in relation to your expertise in the event of any disaster and/or crisis response when called upon to do so;
- Monitor and support the timely and appropriate utilization of budgeted resources for all L&R program interventions as well as ensure effective and timely response plans.
- Together with key partners conduct on site trainings and strengthening community groups in issues on integrated NRM in respect to climate change
Partnership, networking and resource acquisition
- Ensures collaborative roles and partnerships with key partners in the leverage county partners including GOK line Ministries at the county and national, Community Based organization, NGO, Learning Research institutions and any relevant authorities
- Gender and Youth integration in program activities through the implementation strategies.
- Develop working agreements / MOUs with partners as per need.
- Coordinate stakeholder / partner forums on IMARA counties strengthening strategic NRM alliances.
- Coordinate reflection and learning forums for community and partners for purposes of providing forums for experiential learning & reflection.
- In liaison with Partners, lead/support development of data collection and monitoring tools as required
- Strengthen advocacy on prioritization and increased resource allocation for NRM related activities by county government and other CSOs.
- Build capacity on community groups on advocacy to engage service providers and participate in forums to relating to sustainable NRM and related interventions
Quality Assurance, Monitoring, Reporting & Documentation
- Participate/Support program assessments, planning, implementation, monitoring & evaluation, documentation and dissemination of promising practices
- Develop a monitoring and evaluation framework that ensures that the targets from leveraging sites are tracked.
- Coordinate joint monitoring visits with key partners to track and document program progress in the targeted leverage counties.
- Ensure the feedback from monitoring exercises feed into the working of environment technical working group within the program counties.
- Support the development and submission of program reports and core documents as per WVK guidelines and donor standards.
- Develop context specific electronic and live media communications on NRM activities.
- Support development of technical papers and or policy briefs on key issues for external engagement with decision makers
Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree in Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science, Rangeland Management, Forestry, or Climate Change from a recognized University.
- Minimum of four years’ experience in implementing sustainable natural resource management (SNRM) programs in ASAL/degraded parts of Kenya integrating livelihoods strengthening
- Technical knowledge in NRM, Agriculture/Food security, Livestock and other Livelihoods, Social Protection, Gender issues and Youth inclusion.
- Experience working with private sector, local communities, institutions, governmental and traditional authorities in ASAL regions;
- Demonstrable competencies in designing, planning, implementation, documenting, record-keeping and reporting
- Must have skills and ability to provide training and mentorships
- The holder of this position must be a result orientated person who can handle a heavy work load as well as manage and satisfy multiple and at times conflicting organizational, donor and other stakeholder demands
- S/he must be a self-starter, able to work under minimum supervision and maintain good relationships.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, networking and representation skills;
- Proven leadership qualities, problem-solving and negotiation skills, and evidence of successful team player
go to method of application »
Production of Communications resources for IMARA
(Media, Internal, Emergency, Advocacy, Community Voice Comms)
- Production of high quality, Natural Resource Management, child focused, compelling and issues-oriented fundraising, advocacy and publicity materials (web-based, electronic, print, photo and video content) for effective Sida and public engagement.
- Produce high quality, NRM, child-focused visual (photo and/or video) content that engages broad audiences and enables supporter transformation, staff engagement, and advocacy and revenue generation.
- Develop and maintain media contacts, pitch compelling NRM content and position IMARA in influential media outlets in the national and global levels. Produce rapid information and compelling needs and impact-focused content for Partnership communications and marketing for Environment and Climate Change related issues.
- Prepare written project materials, internal newsletters, presentation materials and other communications products for the Sida, GoK, IMARA Consortium.
- Develop and publish digital content for IMARA
- Offices, or VIP visits
- Design and manage a project website and a social media platform that engage audiences to the integrated WV Kenya website
Planning and Capacity Building
- Provide communications advice including crafting of relevant messages and use of the right media
- Create relationships and connections utilizing various channels for information sharing, learning, influence to help shape and advance the communications agenda;
- Develop strategic solutions to given communications challenges.
- -based Videographer;
- Facilitate training on communications for development skills for IMARA Staff and Consortium members’ staff.
- Train and position approved media spokespersons to respond to media inquiries and achieve positive coverage for IMARA Grant and World Vision Kenya and.
- Support the Resource Acquisition and Management (RAM) team by producing communication resources/materials for marketing the IMARA grant
Learning, Documentation and Quality
- Document successful stories/case studies and best, and share these during learning/knowledge management events.
- Managers organize learning and knowledge sharing events materials for alignment to WVI quality and brand.
- Lead and participate in daily devotions and other organizational meetings as required
- Any other duties as assigned by supervisor or designee
Knowledge/responsibilities for the role
Required Professional Experience
- Minimum four (4) year’s professional experience in communications, journalism or public relations.
- Ability to convey complex information in a straightforward, interesting and motivating manner.
- starter with proven analytical, problem-solving skills and ability to work with minimum supervision.
Required Education, training, license, registration, and certification.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in communications/Journalism or other relevant training from a recognized university.
Preferred Knowledge and Qualifications
- Ability to achieve results working in a multi-cultural organization, including leveraging differences and addressing diversity issues for improved team effectiveness.
- volve processes.
Travel and/or Work Environment Requirement
- Work environment: Office- based with frequent travel to the field.
- Travel: 50% Domestic travel as required.
- Good English and communication skills (oral and written).
On call: as required
Key working relationship
- Contact (within WV or outside WV)
- Reason for contact
- Frequency of contact
- IMARA Project staff
- Joint planning & consultation
- National Office Communication team
- Consult with NO for technical support.
- On need basis
- Decisions are guided by the Program documents including plans, DIPs budgets etc and the Job description. The position holder must exercise sound and
- independent judgment in carrying out the assigned duties. S/he must be able to interpret policies and guidelines and, in instances not clearly covered by
- guidelines through a consultation process he/she will identify best approaches to resolve technical and administrative challenges. The position holder is
- expected to independently prioritize work, proactively identify problem areas, determine possible solutions, takes appropriate action, and keep supervisors.
- informed and seek more guidance and assistance as deemed necessary.