The Risk & Compliance Manager shall be responsible for managing the various activities relating to financial crime/ market compliance risk assessment activities as they pertain to the portfolio of existing Equity Bank Group International Banking products and services.
This is a regional role that will interface with a range of stakeholders across Equity Group Subsidiaries. The position holder will be expected to identify, measure, monitor and mitigate product inherent and residual risks so that business objectives are met in compliance with the bank’s risk appetite.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Perform risk assessments for new and on-going International Banking projects for purposes of ensuring compliance to relevant country, regional and global regulations and guidelines.
- Take ownership of the Regional Compliance risk assessment annual plan, this will include follow-up of the product business plan execution, the assessment of AML/CFT/Fraud/Markets compliance risks tied to payment and FX hedging products, the recommendation of mitigating controls and the production of product risk assessment documents for new strategic initiatives.
- Provide guidance and advisory by answering queries related to products as part of business project reviews covering various risk categories, including geographical risks.
- Enhance collaboration within Equity Bank subsidiaries and partners on KYC, AML, and sanction issues using the latest technologies to enable prevention, detection, fraud or financial crimes through amalgamation of client data for streamlined and secure processes.
- Sensitize stakeholders at strategic and operational levels of Equity Bank Group on the International Banking regulations and processes accordingly and subsequently recommend enhanced training opportunities.
- Ensure that the various units of International Banking are trained and advised on the product risks accompanying their business projects, including creation and overseeing the activities of a joint product risk committee.
- Maintain a broad knowledge of products and product features by working closely with partners, subsidiaries and the Enterprise Risk Management departments in Equity Bank group and subsidiaries.
- Determine and recommend system security improvements to enable compliance with best practice system risk & security requirements and global General Data Protection Guidelines, GDPR.
- Build relationships with the Bank’s internal departments and management to allow for successful collaboration in mitigating exposures that are a threat to International Banking and the bank’s objectives.
- Perform follow-up and support closure of compliance and risk related audit findings.
- Represent the bank as when required at various levels and platforms both locally and internationally to support the departmental objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in a business management discipline or related field from a reputable institution is preferred with a post graduate training in Financial services, Risk Management and or compliance as an added advantage.
- A minimum of four years’ successive employment in risk/compliance discipline in a busy organization, with strong understanding of overall banking operations, systems, and processes.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in KYC and AML Compliance in a regional commercial bank.
- Minimum of 1- 3 years’ experience in policy formulation and dissemination, preferably with knowledge in processes and procedures related to International Banking.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in interaction with banking systems in the risk management or controls front.
- Experience with projects risk management with demonstrated ability to conduct project risk assessments, quality assurance tests and compliance assessments.
- Experience in engaging C-level management and senior executives in facilitating decision-making and reporting.
- Demonstrate understanding of regional and global AML/ KYC, FATCA and CTF compliance regulations within the financial services industry.
- Must have professional membership in Risk Management and or Compliance with a globally accredited institution.
- Experience in working within a big-data analysis environment with the use of SQL /advanced Excel etc.
Competencies / Attributes / Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to manage and collaborate with geographically diverse teams and matrixed relationships.
- Ability to coach, mentor, train and transfer skills to others
- Adherence to a code of conduct and ethical guidelines.
- Understand, respect and practice the set of organization’s shared vision, mission and values, including mutual respect, equity and justice; honesty and transparency.
- Ability to communicate clearly and demonstrate good interpersonal skills
- High-level integrity and initiative taking and positive attitude towards learning and sharing.
- Ability to network and establish strong relationships with Equity Group partners and relevant stakeholders will be vital.
- Must have team building skills, personnel management and supervision skills.
go to method of application »
In line with enhancing career progression of staff and to support business growth, we seek to recruit a qualified, experienced, self-driven, highly motivated and passionate candidate to fill the above position.
Reporting to the Head of Support Services, the Project Manager will ensure that all group International Banking projects are delivered on time, budget and to the required quality standard based on the agreed specifications. He/she will also ensure the projects are effectively resourced and that all project stakeholders are well managed. In addition, the Project Manager will also be responsible for managing the work of consultants, vendors, allocating and utilizing resources in an efficient manner and maintaining a co-operative, motivated and successful project team.
Key Responsibilities/ Accountabilities:
- Managing and leading the project team.
- Managing co-ordination of the partners and working groups engaged in project work.
- Developing and maintaining detailed project plans, controls and expected deliverables.
- Recording and managing project issues, risks, delays and escalating where necessary.
- Resolving cross-functional issues at project level.
- Managing project scope, change control and escalating issues where necessary.
- Monitoring project progress and performance, whilst providing status reports to the project owner and sponsor.
- Liaising with the project steering board and senior management by providing updates of the project progress.
- Managing project training within the defined budget.
- Managing project evaluation and dissemination activities.
- Working closely with users to ensure the project meets business needs.
- Identifying user training needs and devising and managing user training programmes
- An undergraduate degree in a business/ICT/Project Management or any other related field.
- Project Management professional qualifications in PMP/PRINCE2 or similar qualifications.
- An MBA/business related master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Strong consultative, analytical and problem-solving skills with the proven ability to manage large and complex projects.
- Strong management skills with the ability to influence others.
- Excellent interpersonal/communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to manage teams; identify and secure needed resources; escalate conflicting priorities; influence team members and business leaders to successfully execute.
- Ability to negotiate agreements and/or reach consensus with all levels and positions within the organization.
Competencies / Attributes / Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent understanding of Project Management principles and methodologies including established PMO policies and procedures.
- Expert knowledge; Project risk & Issue management, Planning, communication, human resource, time management, cost management, project integration, stakeholder management and quality management.
- Proficient in the use of project management, presentation and planning tools.
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies e.g. SCRUM.
Key Critical Competencies:
- Excellent project planning, monitoring and control.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team leadership and delegation skills.
- Excellent risk and Issue management skills.
- Time, cost and quality management.
- Business awareness.
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills.
- High personal standards and goal oriented.
- Excellent and effective communications skills, both orally and in writing.
- Strong coaching skills.
- Culture sensitivity.