If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
RefugePoint was founded in 2005 to provide lasting solutions for the world’s most vulnerable refugees. We work to fill the critical and unmet needs of people affected by war and conflict that have fallen through the net of humanitarian assistance, in particular women, children and urban refugees.
Responsibilities for the Communications Officer Job
Writing and general communications
- Cultivate stories and draft content for various RefugePoint publications, including newsletters, grant proposals, and special reports.
- The Communications Associate will be responsible for producing content from start to finish: from setting up interviews with other RefugePoint team members and clients, traveling into the field on a weekly basis, developing interview questions, interviewing clients to collect stories, writing final stories using quotes/audio/notes taken and submitting finalized work, with photos (sometimes video) to the Communications Manager.
- Maintain strong relationships with all Nairobi teams (medical, social work, livelihoods, counseling, etc) and check in on a weekly basis for story leads, suggestions.
- Research, draft, and update information related to Nairobi’s refugee population, including cultural profiles for new arrivals and/or changes within existing refugee communities.
- Respond to immediate requests from headquarters for updates on programs, clients, or events.
- Track refugee resettlement departures and update headquarters regularly. Track refugees post-departure, and set up systems to put this into place.
- As needed, help with the printing of T-shirts and other collateral.
Social media and website support
- Support the Communications Manager in developing content for RefugePoint’s web and social media platforms.
- Provide assistance managing and evaluating social media platforms as requested, in particular internal platforms for staff communication.
- Conduct media monitoring on issues related specifically to urban refugee protection and alert headquarters to relevant stories.
- Update the internal staff website with new content, especially new staff bios and stories of interest, photos from RP events, etc.
- Draft Quarterly internal newsletter with pertinent updates for HQ, Nairobi and Expert staff.
Video and Photography
- Photograph images of clients, programs, and the environment in Nairobi for RefugePoint’s publications, website, and social media.
- Film, or arrange for videographers to film, material for RefugePoint’s audio/visual needs.
- Organize and manage Nairobi’s image library, ensuring that all releases are signed and accessible.
Event Management and Training
- Assist with coordinating RefugePoint events in Nairobi, including trainings, conferences, community working groups, and fundraising forums.
- Lead internal communications trainings and motivate staff to engage in external relations activities, including sharing stories and highlights from their departments.
- Orient newly hired regional and local staff to RefugePoint’s external relations policies.
- As needed, coordinate focus groups to support RefugePoint’s operations team.
Qualifications for the Communications Officer Job
- A strong interest in the mission of RefugePoint and refugee protection.
- Excellent writing skills (in English) are imperative to this position. Writing with a US-based population in mind will be required.
- Excellent interviewing skills, and communication skills in speaking, transcribing, contacting and following up with refugee clients.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field (communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, etc). Degrees in human rights or international affairs will also be considered.
- A minimum of three years of experience in a related communications position.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (English fluency required).
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, especially geared towards a US based audience.
- Experience with popular social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc).
- Applicants with photography and/or videography skills preferred. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite software is also a plus.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively. Candidate will need to be a self-starter, someone who can manage their time and tasks independently and responsibly.
- Respect for individuals regardless of their race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age or legal status.
- A sense of humor, patience and diplomacy.
- Must be legally able to live and work in Kenya.
Main Purpose of the Position
As part of the UNHCR-RefugePoint Collaboration Project, the Resettlement Expert (hereinafter “Expert”) provides direct support to UNHCR through temporary deployments to UNHCR offices throughout Africa. Assigned to one or more specific duty station(s) over the course of the contract, the Expert is considered an “Expert on Mission” to UNHCR tasked with enhancing local refugee resettlement capacity.
On all assignments, the Expert’s core responsibility is to provide direct casework support to UNHCR by interviewing refugees and completing Resettlement Registration Forms (RRFs). Depending on the needs of the assigned duty station(s), the Expert may also assist in other resettlement related casework such as profiling, Best Interest Assessments (BIAs) and Best Interests Determinations (BIDs), and file review and capacity building through training, mentoring, and other activities such as monitoring and evaluating existing resettlement systems.
In addition, the Expert contributes to the logistical planning and execution of resettlement deployments and maintains regular operational and administrative communication with RefugePoint’s Nairobi and Headquarters offices during all stages of deployments
Main Purpose of the Position
As part of the UNHCR-RefugePoint Collaboration Project, the Child Protection Expert (hereinafter “Expert”) provides direct support to UNHCR through temporary deployments to UNHCR offices throughout Africa. Assigned to one or more specific duty station(s) over the course of the contract, the Expert is considered an “Expert on Mission” to UNHCR tasked with enhancing local refugee child protection capacity, in particular as it relates to Best
Interests Assessments (BIAs) and Best Interests Determinations (BIDs). On most assignments, the Expert’s core responsibility is to provide direct casework support to UNHCR by conducting BIDs/BIAs for Unaccompanied and Separated Children (UASC). Depending on the needs of the assigned duty station(s), the Expert may also assist in child protection case management activities and capacity building through training, mentoring, and other activities such as monitoring and evaluating existing child protection systems.
In addition, the Expert contributes to the logistical planning and execution of child protection deployments and maintains regular operational and administrative communication with RefugePoint’s Nairobi and Headquarters offices during all stages of deployments.
Resume, any previous UNHCR Performance Appraisals Reviews (PAR), and relevant writing sample required; cover letter not requested.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.