Nova Academies is a pan-African school network that prepares the next generation of leaders and innovators through world-class teaching methods with an emphasis on 21st century skills. We currently have three schools in South Africa and one school in Nairobi. We are also launching a girls secondary school in Nairobi in 2017.
ABOUT THE ROLE
- Teach Geography, English, Kiswahili, History and C.R.E
- Infuse joy and passion for learning in lessons so that students are excited about and invested in their academic excellence.
- Be accountable for students’ mastery of academic standards.
- Integrate interactive technology within lessons to enhance instructional delivery
- Meet up with your learning designer to ensure unit and lesson plans are mapped to standards.
- Set and communicate rigorous and ambitious goals for all students and provide student feedback so they internalize them.
- Attend weekly feedback meetings with manager to enhance teaching practices
- Head a club, house opportunity for students each term.
- Provide feedback to the curriculum design team about lessons and the overall structure of a unit to ensure revisions are made.
- Fully participate in opportunities for professional growth including daily team meetings and reflections, weekly professional development meetings, instructional coaching, and outside professional opportunities.
- A born teacher. You are not in it by coincidence or accident.
- Teachers’ Service Commission certified/recognized
- A Bachelor's degree from a well-recognized University. You should have graduated officially by the time of application
- Energetic and passionate about education.
- You’re a top performer with a strong academic background
- You have 2-6+ years of relevant teaching experience. At Nova, we love teachers who have also had varied work experience apart from teaching
- Adept at using Technology. We use a lot of technology for instruction
Does working at Nova Academies excite you? If you’re a great fit, we will drop everything and call you immediately.
About The Role
We are looking for an exceptional individual to lead our new school in Nairobi that will open in Tatu City, one of the largest developments in Kenya and a Vision 2030 flagship project, in late 2017. This school will be our third in Nairobi and will enroll more than 1,000 students as it grows over the years.
As the founding Principal of this school, you will play a critical role in shaping the culture and student experience within an institution that will play a critical role in the community for decades. You will also actively collaborate with other academic leaders and Principals across both South Africa and Kenya, including through regular travel, to use the experience in your school to improve the overall Nova-Pioneer education model.
We will invest heavily in your professional growth in this important role. You will receive significant training prior to assuming the position, including by spending time shadowing current school leaders in the network and participating in other aspects of our academic system. Once you are in the position you will receive consistent coaching from our academic leaders who have worked in top schools around the world among other professional development activities (this year our school leaders went on an extensive tour of great, innovative schools in the United States).
As Principal, you will be responsible for ensuring the realization of Nova’s vision in your school. This will include a heavy focus on developing and leading an exceptional school culture. You will also spend a large portion of your time developing your teaching team into world-class educators who deliver great inquiry-based education for your students and who are ready to quickly move into leadership within the Nova network.
Specific Key Responsibilities For The Role Include
- Act as an effective leader and ambassador for the organization
- Articulate a compelling short- and long-term vision for the development of the school’s culture and student program;
- Drive the development of an exceptional teaching team including through coaching teachers through observation and feedback;
- Set and model a consistent tone of highest expectations, joy, and growth mindset among staff and students alike
- Collaborate with fellow School Leaders in the network to continuously develop and improve the Nova education model across schools
- Develop and strengthen partnerships with other schools and organizations to provide enriching academic and extracurricular opportunities for students
- Lead key school rituals as needed to model and ingrain culture
- Quickly identify and respond to classroom/school culture or behavior issues
- Partner with parents and other key community stakeholders to build the Nova Pioneer brand
- Plan and lead school staff meetings
- You have 7+ years of experience in a rigorous, high-expectations school setting including instructional leadership roles (e.g., deputy principal, teacher coach, etc.). Experience as a Principal is highly valued but not a prerequisite.
- You are widely recognized as a highly effective teacher and can model what great, inquiry-based teaching looks like. If you don’t have teaching experience, you are instructionally passionate and have a desire to learn and entrench yourself in the Nova approach to teaching and learning.
- You are excited about your own professional development, always seeking out opportunities to grow, whether by asking others for feedback, forming communities of learning with other school leaders, or seeking out training
- You have a track record of improving other people’s performance through coaching, building uncommonly strong relationships, developing creative training sessions and sharing feedback
- You have an exceptional ability to think strategically and yet you sweat the small stuff—people see you as unusually detail-oriented and conscientious
- You are excited about our organizational culture—and in particular, you are fired up to challenge yourself by embracing mutual vulnerability and a firehose of feedback
- You have a desire to further develop your leadership skills and apply them to transform the lives of African youth
Method of Application
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.