The Aga Khan Foundation
(AKF) is a private, not-for-profit international development agency, which was founded in 1967 by Prince Shah Karim Al Hussaini, Aga Khan IV. AKF seeks to provide long-term solutions to problems of poverty, hunger, illiteracy and ill health in the poorest parts of South and Central Asia, Eastern and Western Africa, and the Middle East.
Scope of Role: The Head of Programme Quality and Learning (PQL) Unit is responsible for assuring the consistent quality of programme strategy, proposal design, compliance, and learning.
The Head of this unit will manage and backstop a unified team of technical specialists and consultants on programme quality.
In addition, among others, the Head of PQL will act as the Focal Point in the astute application of the quality assurance protocol and validation of processes for generating data for the organisational dashboard.
Reports to: Regional Programme Director (RPD).
Staff Directly reporting to this role:
- Thematic Technical Advisors
- Regional Managers – (Thematic and MERL)
- Project Director – SESEA
Key Areas of Accountability:
Programme and Concept Design & Development
- Support the thematic advisors and managers in the process of conceptualization, project design and proposal development to produce cost effective, innovative, and high quality sustainable programmes.
- Ensure that all relevant AKF EA policies, protocols and procedures are applied throughout the programme design stages
- Liaise closely with other Units, particularly the Resource Mobilisation Unit, in the proposal development and writing process
Strategic planning and leadership
- Provide support to thematic advisors in the development of sector strategies, ensuring adherence to AKF’s global strategy
- Ensure joined-up strategic planning across core sectors with a focus on programme integration and the strengthening of multi-sectoral approaches.
- Maintain oversight of progress against sector strategies in coordination with technical advisors.
Program Quality Oversight
- Ensure evidence-based programming by leading in setting AKF EA’s regional agenda for Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning.
- Provide direct management oversight to the PQL Unit, ensuring quality programming in compliance with donor requirements and internal specifications.
- Develop quality assurance plans, conduct regular programme risk analyses, identify critical control points, and suggest preventive/mitigation measures to the Programme Implementation Team and other Units
Learning, Policy Dialogue and Reporting
- Oversee the scheduling and production of formal and informal reports on all aspects of the program in a timely and efficient manner, including key evaluation activities and learning briefs capturing key program learning for public dissemination.
- Ensure that MERL team members focus on assisting programs to generate practical information that can be used for ongoing program decision-making and policy influencing while also capturing results at the impact level.
- In Liaison with the communications team, lead on policy dialogue and dissemination of lessons learned to internal and external stakeholders and adopt best practices.
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development
- In close liaison with the RPD, create a work atmosphere conducive to the development of a motivated, professional, multisectoral team fit for purpose.
Manage performance of direct reports through:
- Effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measurable objectives, ongoing feedback, periodic reviews, and fair and unbiased evaluations
Coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities
- Defining expectations and providing appropriate one to one support to direct reports and others within the PQL team.
- Ensure the PQL staff devote fairly equitable amount time and effort in supporting programmes across the region
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum Master’s degree or equivalent in international development or other relevant fields;
- Minimum 8 years senior management experience in managing multisectoral teams, preferably in programme design, learning and quality assurance at country or regional level
- Experience in management, leadership and mentoring staff with willingness to visit programmes in the field
- Experience in working with Governments and development partners to influence policies and practices.
- Exceptional English communication skills, able to make strong presentations and produce high quality written reports
- Experience of working across geographical, organisation boundaries, cultures & diverse development stakeholders.
- Experience of working in East Africa and knowledge of local cultures
Method of Application
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, CV and the names and contact information of three professional referees by 4th January 2017 via e-mail to: [email protected] Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.