Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) is the leading Swiss child relief organization, based in Lausanne (Switzerland). Every year our projects support more than 2 million children (3 million in 2016) and their families in over 35 countries. We are part of the Terre des hommes International Federation (TDHIF), with 9 other sister organizations in Switzerland, Europe and Canada.
Position Start Date : 03.07.2019
Duration : 6 months, more if funding available.
Location : Nairobi - Kenya
Terre des hommes does not set closing dates for this position; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled
Tdh has been active in Kenya since 2011 in Dadaab refugee camp (child protection) , the arid county of Garissa (nutrition) and the ultra-poor slums of Nairobi (integrated child protection). The delegation is run by the humanitarian department owing to the nature of activities. In June 2018, the organization initiated a reflection to reorient activities to also address development needs around child protection services as the gap in support is significant. Humanitarian needs are very present due to the situation at Kenya’s borders, the country’s difficulty in tackling natural disasters and the risk of terrorism. There have been encouraging funding opportunities and if they materialize this will lead to multi-year projects on access to justice and early childhood development. There are many other untapped opportunities in the tech and social enterprise sector.
The delegation is facing a number of challenges that include staff turn around, complex local politics and interference, uncertain and changing humanitarian agenda, challenge in finding technical and operational skills that match our ambitions. Following a review of our logistics department and our security management, it was decided that expert management was required in order to bring the delegation to better standards.
We are seeking an efficient individual capable with his/her experience and skills, to ensure that the delegation logistics and security systems allow the smooth delivery of projects and that the delegation maintains high professional standards on these fields.
- Ensure the respect of Tdh and donor purchase procedures;
- Identify and plan the delegation’s procurement in collaboration with log/admin staff and Project Managers.
- Ensure respect of the quality of the purchase and the delivery deadlines;
- Follow up the order/purchase until delivery;
- Ensure regular purchases follow up in close collaboration with the Administration Department for down payments and monthly budget follow up;
- Ensure preparation of weekly procurement follow up updates according to the format available at the delegation;
- Ensure the respect of Tdh’s and donor stock management procedure;
- Manage regular inventory (monthly, quarterly, yearly) for the different items stored in the delegation;
- Plan the stock supplying according to local constraints ;
- In charge of the warehouse management and control system;
- Ensure security and the follow up of the equipment used on the delegation (identification, inventory, affectation);
- Ensure the security and the follow up of the communication and IT equipment (and supplies) on the delegation (identification, inventory, affectation);
- Ensure the respect of Tdh and donor vehicle management procedure;
- Supervise the general follow up of the delegation vehicle (consummation checks, movement planning, vehicle rental contracts, etc.);
- Ensure a regular maintenance on the different vehicle of the delegation, setup appropriate maintenance contract with supplier or ensure an appropriate repair process with local technicians;
- Handle transport contract negotiation with suppliers and follow up;
- Define the more relevant means of transport for goods delivery and process the administrative formalities related to (by road, by plane, by boat, etc.) national, regional and international in a rapidly shifting context;
- In charge of the general security on the delegation;
- Update and Ensure the respect of the security guideline adopted on the delegation, the good functioning of the relative tools and process and the correct use and acknowledge from all the members of the delegation (national & international staff) in close links with country rep;
- Manage security guidelines updates, geopolitical follow up, incident reports and analysis;
- Ensure that every single incident is reported as fast as possible to the Head of Delegation;
- Keep informed of security trends;
- Setup coordination routine system (meetings, reports, situation points, etc.) to ensure a smooth diffusion of relevant information (logistics) at delegation level;
- Manage logistics support in collaboration with logisticians and advice and interact specifically with the Project team on regular basis;
- Frequent movements have to be expected between the different bases if security and administrative constraint allows;
- Ensure a pro-active link between the field (needs) and logistics team (needs & support) and play a continuous mediating role;
- Ensure strict application and respect of the Internal Regulation by your related staff;
- Support and advise your team in the implementation of their action plans;
- Ensure feedback towards team about issues potentially raised by them;
- Ensure a good communication – coordination – information level of each member of the team through regular coordination meetings (or other if needed);
- Centralize all logistics information available on the delegation and consolidate a monthly report (into the proper reporting form) to be delivered to the country representative;
- Prepare a weekly report to be delivered to the country representative;
- Provide regular reporting on your activities to the country representative;
- You are the direct interlocutor of Terre des hommes towards providers and companies, for all issues related to logistics and security;
- You participate actively to logistics and information meetings with peer organizations;
- Degree in humanitarian or military logistics;
- A minimum of five years in a similar position with two years in an NGO compulsory;
- Qualifications in security management or equivalent experience;
- Experience in capacity building management is a strong asset;
- Experience in conflict zone is a strong asset;
- Remote management experience is an asset;
- English mandatory (oral and written);
Please be advised that living conditions in the field (volatile security context, basic living conditions, shared showers/toilets, curfew, restriction of movements, etc.) can be challenging and although Tdh does the necessary to ensure security and wellbeing of the staff, people used to a certain level of comfort might not feel at ease in the field.
Expatriate contract under Swiss labour code 3’400 CHF (~2’950 €) < > 4’750 CHF (~4’100 €) net /month according to experience x 13 times, Vacancy: 25 days annual leaves local accommodation and transportation, Health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, return flight.
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies :
- Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure: raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff
- Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies
- Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
Method of Application
Please applying directly online through the link below
Application files sent through our official website will be processed only if complete (CV + cover letter). Additional documents (diplomas, work certificates, etc.) will be requested at a later stage.
We will be in touch with the shortlisted candidates only in the selection process – with the large number of applications received, we unfortunately cannot provide personal follow-up to the larger candidate pool. Thanks for your understanding.
For any questions you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.
Interested and qualified? Go to Terre des hommes (TDH) career website on application.careerbuilder1.eu to apply