The UAP Old Mutual Group comprises of three key players as a result of the acquisition of a controlling stake in Faulu in 2014 and UAP in 2015 by Old Mutual. The acquisition resulted in Old Mutual Kenya and UAP Holdings (www.uapoldmutual.com) as well as Faulu Microfinance Bank (www.faulukenya.com) forming one of the largest financial services groups with a growing footprint in East and Central Africa. The Group currently has operations in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, South Sudan and Rwanda.
We are rooted in our purpose of "Championing Mutually Positive Futures Every Day" and believe that a great customer experience is anchored in a great employee experience.
Reporting to the Chief Risk Officer, the incumbent will establish and maintain mechanisms and systems of Internal control to assist UAP OldMutual in meeting Legal, regulatory and supervisory obligations and to promote and sustain a sound compliance culture by ensuring legal and regulatory compliance implications are integrated into material strategic, financial and operational decisions.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Relevant Business related degree. Masters is an added advantage
- Over seven (7) years of hands on regulatory compliance experience in the Financial Services Industry
- Professionsl qualifications in compliance
- Ability to have a positive impact on people
- Proactive and can anticipate the needs of his/her customers
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- confident and assertive
- ability to interract at all level
- Ability to structure responsibilities, tasks and project management to eliminate wasted time and efforts
- Ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities without missing deadlines
- Maintains a high level of attention to detail and is highly organized
- Energetic and positive attitude with a willingness to learn
- Ability to maintain high service standards and problem solve effectively when faced with challenges
- Effective team work planning
- Effective coaching and training of the team
- Rigorous team performance management
- Establish and maintain an effective regulatory compliance framework
- Ensure an effective regulatory compliance management system is in place
- Implement and maintain compliance risk indicators and performance measures for monitoring the levels of compliance risk
- Implement and maintain adequate compliance governance structures including written policies, procedures, processes, systems and methodologies
- Oversee compliance control adequacy and effectiveness, mitigating management actions and exposure versus appetite limits and identify operating model deficiencies and capability gaps
- Meet regulatory obligations applicable to the function
- Advise the Board and Managing Excecutives on Compliance culture.
- Advise and challenge the relevant Board and Managing Executives from compliance perspective on strategic decision making and business planning objectives.
- Develop and implement an annual functional operational plan and advise the Business on the design and implementation of compliance controls and related mitigation processes, projects and change programs.
- Ensure employees undergo training on regulatory compliance obligations and the UAP Old Mutual Code of Ethics and have access to confidential mechanisms to report compliance and ethical breaches.
To assist the Legal Officer in ensuring that all Legal Claims are handled expeditiously and in a professional manner.
- Maintain a diary of court hearing dates and inform the parties concerned
- Attend to legal correspondence as directed
- Revise reserves as directed
- Assist in ensuring that all recovery cases are fully documented and recovered amounts remitted to the company
- Attend court on behalf of the company, as directed
- Requisition for payments on all legal payables
Skills & Competencies
- Analytical mind
- Good organizational skills
- Good communication skills
Key Result Areas and Performance Indicator
- To ensure that recovered amounts by our Advocates are remitted to the company without delay and that proper documentation is maintained for records and audit purposes.
- Ensure that all files related to the legal sections are properly closed.
- To ensure that all recovery cases with company advocates are recorded and fully documented and also make an update status on each case to ensure accurate.
To assess, price and determine terms for medical risks, presented within set standards of service in a manner to ensure quality selection of risks and timely services
- Degree in relevant field
- Insurance qualification
- Experience 5 years
- Determine acceptability of risks, monitor and review terms of accounts assigned
- Supervise, train and mentor staff on technical matters to ensure their skills are sharpened
- Ensure timely and accurate debiting of premium and endorsement of cover conditions
- Supervise preparation of renewal notices, timely dispatch and follow up
- Prepare underwriting reports and statistics for management review.
- Review risk assessment and rating systems and procedures and make recommendations for improvement.
- Continually monitor clients claims experience/ benefit utilization and recommend underwriting action
- Check and sign underwriting document to authenticate it
- Maintain effective business relationships to ensure effective delivery of service
- Monitor service standards within the section to ensure high quality customer service is delivered.
- Assist in marketing company products and services to intermediaries and potential clients.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Good communication skills
- Good IT skills
- Diplomacy and tact
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UAP OLD MUTUAL GROUP career website on careers.uapoldmutual.com to apply