Vacancy: Project manager (with a focus on PMEL), full-time
Akvo is looking for a project manager to support us in the management of our planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning (PMEL) projects in East Africa and to expand our partner network throughout Africa.
You will manage PMEL projects for Akvo across Africa, focusing mainly in the agriculture sector in East Africa.
Your role will be to support our partners in the region with innovative data solutions that help monitor the progress of agriculture and WASH programmes. You are proactive, responsible and able to maintain good working relationships in a diverse team while understanding the importance of cultural nuances.
This position is based in the Akvo Kenya office in Nairobi, and you will be reporting to the East Africa hub manager who is also based in Nairobi.
- Initiate, manage and monitor Akvo projects and ensure all Akvo contractual obligations towards our partners are met.
- Ensure that high quality financial and narrative reports are delivered and that all project deliverables are met.
- Represent Akvo in partnership meetings and maintain good partner relationships.
Technical advice and consultancy:
- Understand our partners’ M&E needs and translate these needs into innovative PMEL data solutions.
- Monitor feedback loops from partners to Akvo’s product and services teams.
- Coordinate logistics, organise and facilitate Akvo training sessions and provide support.
- Develop, write, submit and negotiate high quality project proposals.
- Follow up on partnership leads in a timely manner.
Requirements and competencies
- Three to five years of work experience, preferably in the international development sector or data-driven consultancy.
- A minimum of three years of experience in project management.
- Experience with PMEL, for example with setting up Theory of Change workshops, developing indicator frameworks for a programme, M&E reporting and application of electronic PMEL solutions.
- Familiarity with stakeholder management in an international and culturally diverse environment.
- Knowledge of the agriculture sector is preferred.
- Flexible self-starter with creative and analytical problem solving skills.
- A team player with good networking skills.
- Excellent command of the English language in both writing and speaking (including proposal writing).
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Google suites.
What we offer
- Full time (40 hours/week) employment contract for a definite period of time, with the intention of building a long-lasting working relationship.
- Transport allowance.
- Medical cover.
- Subsidised staff lunch.
- Personal development budget.
- A unique chance to work in an open, ambitious, collaborative environment with dedicated teams that aim to have a positive impact on the worldâ€¨.
- Opportunity to travel for assignments in East and South Africa.
- You will be part of our international Akvo community, with motivated and talented people whose diverse backgrounds converge to accomplish shared objectives.
To apply for this position, you must be based in Nairobi, Kenya and or already in possession of a valid work permit for Kenya.
Regular international travel is required for this role.
We aim to fill this position as soon as possible.
To apply for this position, submit your motivation letter and CV to the attention of Ayan Biswas, East Africa hub manager before 12 October 2019