Gold Star Kenya (GS Kenya) was established in 2010 as a local affiliate of FHI 360. GS Kenya was born of the success of the Gold Star Network, a social franchise program initiative established in 2006 to promote comprehensive quality HIV care amongst a network of private health providers in Kenya and the desire to lead this network through a local registered non-government organisation (NGO).
As GS Kenya is set to grow, it has partnered with other projects across Kenya in the health care fields that are contributing towards achieving the MDGs and Kenya’s Vision 2030 in HIV prevention, integrated management and control. Through the social franchising model and private public partnership, GS Kenya has opened new paths for empowering communities, worksites and healthcare providers to offer and sustain integrated prevention, care, treatment and support services in the fight against HIV and TB in Kenya. Using the same service delivery model, GS Kenya is also contributing to improve maternal, neonatal, child health, malaria management, family planning and reproductive health services as well as addressing the growing burden of non-communicable diseases.
Technical Assistant - Systems Development Re-advertisement
Requisition ID: GSK-TASD-052
Reports To: Technical Officer, Systems Specialist (GIS, mHealth) Project: HIV Service Delivery Support Activity – Rift Valley
The Technical Assistant-Systems Development will be part of the M&E team at HIV Service Delivery Support Activity - Rift Valley and will work under the direct supervision of the Technical Officer, Systems Specialist (GIS, mHealth). Under guidance of the Technical Officer, Systems Specialist (GIS, mHealth), he/she will lead the design and maintenance of a comprehensive information resource for programs and reporting of complex information. Provide advice on
software and hardware needs. He/she will participate in other activities related t HMIS, research,
targeted evaluation, surveillance surveys and monitoring and evaluation as well as provide assistance and training t system users.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Database Design and Development:
- Develop new and/or adapt existing computerized performance reporting systems, including enhanced user interfaces and compatibility across reporting systems using Java, Access, Visual Basic and SQL in response t meet project information needs
- Install developed applications, writes application manuals, and train users. Provides ongoing maintenance and support t users of database applications.
- Provides assistance t staff in database design based on technical knowledge of field.
- Provides adequate documentation of database applications.
- Perform needs assessment and works with Technical staff at project and implementing partner level t determine feasibility of development of new databases and enhancements or modifications t existing databases
- Develops and ensures adherence t data management policies e.g. USG t ensure the security and confidentiality project data.
- Monitors staff compliance with confidentiality policies t assure that security standards are met.
- Maintains project databases for routine data, reporting data quality and service quality assessments.
- Monitors and optimizes database design, content, structure and other management issues.
- Performs backup and recovery of all databases. Takes appropriate measures t ensure the
- security of the data.
- Recommends hardware and software upgrades to the database server as needed.
- Hardware and Software:
- Assists in the management of hardware and software as related t the operations of the databases, including system development and maintenance, recommends purchase of new hardware and software maintenance of records and reports relating t database operations and data/project archives. Provide leadership in the use of major health and medical related software.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Project Director
REQUIREMENTS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
- Experience in database development, management of information systems and health informatics
- Experience in developing mobile applications
- Experience using new online technologies for knowledge sharing and collaboration is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience assessing users’ data needs and designing user-friendly IT solutions t promote strategic decision-making throughout the project life cycle.
- Experience in training users on databases
- Keen t maintain data security and data quality systems
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Tact and diplomacy in dealing with implementing partners
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS STANDARDS:
- Degree in Computer Science, Health informatics, Mathematics or a related field with at least
- 2 years’ hands on experience OR Advanced Diploma in Software design or related areas with
5 years’ experience
- Professional experience in database design and development using SQL (MySQL, MSSQL, JavaDB, PostgreSQL).
- Advanced skills in at least tw of the following statistical packages: SPSS, Epi Info, Stata.
- Computer proficiency in word processing, Excel, and Ms Access
- Knowledge and/or experience with GIS analysis technologies (ArcGIS, QGIS).
- Knowledge and/or experience with open source software (ODK, DHIS2, Kob Toolbox) is an added advantage
- Demonstrated ability t transfer knowledge through informal and formal trainings.
Method of Application
Gold Star Kenya has a competitive compensation package and is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply via email to: GSKenya-HR@goldstarkenya.org and please specify source in your application and quote the Requisition ID ( provided on the subject line while sending your application, CV/resume including salary requirements, to be received not later than 20th July 2019.