Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
Our purpose is to unlock value in Africa. We use our analytical capabilities to improve decision-making and, through better decisions, to unlock substantial value for our clients and society. While we are the largest economics-based consulting firm in Africa, we use a large number of techniques and approaches to achieve clarity for decision-makers.
About The Business Development Unit
The Business Development Unit (BDU) at Genesis Analytics is pivotal to ensuring sustainable and safe growth within Genesis. The team identifies and acquires new work to build a strategic pipeline of opportunities; leads the research and analysis of emerging market trends; manages the development of proposals; as well as leads engagements with Genesis key clients and partners on potential collaborations.
Purpose of the role within Genesis:
Genesis is looking for a mature, proactive, and energetic Business Development Manager with strong proposal management, compliance, and account management skills to join the Business Development Unit.
The right individual has a strong understanding of the international development industry with previous experience working with donors, foundations, government agencies as well as some private sector organisations both in Africa and globally.
The Business Development Manager will mentor and upskill the team, and support in improving Genesis’ BD systems.
- Lead on identifying the most strategic opportunities, reviewing major clients forecasts, and support building a healthy pipeline for major clients.
- Support the practices to track and prepare for bidding, including leading on prepositioning activities.
- Lead large and complex proposals: development of bid plans, management of bid teams; leading on capture planning; mapping and selecting consortium partners; project staffing; and proposal writing with varied donors and private sector clients, e.g USAID, FCDO, Gates Foundation, CDC, etc
- Lead on the most complex compliance and administrative requirements for clients’ proposals, ideally including US Government and SA Government.
- Champion appropriate proposal development processes, and support the business to refine and improve the proposal management function.
- Introduce and enforce appropriate knowledge management systems to ensure that previous knowledge (e.g. proposals, resources, analysis, etc.) can be easily found in order to maximise efficiency when responding to opportunities.
BDU coordination, team management & mentoring
- Support the Head of BD to design, develop, maintain and enforce BD processes and procedures at company level.
- Work closely with the Compliance & Commercial team to ensure the BDU operates at its highest standards, in full compliance with rules and regulations.
- Lead on introducing standards and best practices within the BDU members. Train and mentor BDU team members outside and inside the proposal management cycle, including leading learning sessions.
- Take on the line management responsibilities of some team members, especially with the team growing.
- Work closely with the BD Coordinator to maintain the big picture of the company pipeline, lead on team utilisation and requests of support management.
Market and Industry strategy
- Inform Genesis’ strategic position and marketing investments for new business development.
- Use analysis of client investment strategies, annual funding trends and policy developments to inform Genesis long-term strategy on new business.
- Work with Genesis’ practices to develop internal strategies for client prioritisation, key account management and to position Genesis to become a recognised player for new opportunities.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with Genesis main clients and strategic partner organisations.
- Lead and facilitate Genesis internal working groups working with specific clients, examples include USAID, AfDB, UN agencies, etc.