Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an international Catholic organisation with a mission to accompany, serve and advocate on behalf of refugees and other forcibly displaced persons. JRS undertakes services at national and regional levels with the support of an international office in Rome. Founded in November 1980 as a work of the Society of Jesus, JRS was offi...
Evaluation Purpose and Objectives:
The purpose of the evaluation is to establish and document the impact and effectiveness of project interventions to render accountability to donors. The evaluation is expected to provide data on the performance, impact, and sustainability of the project interventions. The findings and recommendations will contribute to a learning process which enables JRS to draw lessons from its experience to improve the quality of service to refugees, assessing the extent to which outcomes of the project have been achieved, determine relevance, efficiency, effectiveness and important topics for further inquiry, action, lobbying and influence. Additionally, findings will contribute to improvements in the final phase of the project in the 2023 – 2024 period.
NB: A full discussion of the research questions concerning relevance, and sensitivity to people served will be required to uphold the Do No Harm principle.
The main objective of the project evaluation is to present findings and impact of the project activities/interventions of the target beneficiaries as per the indicators of the project objectives and expected results specified in the project document and the project’s results framework.
The specific objectives of the evaluation are:
- Assess the Livelihood and Psychosocial Project’s achievements against the outcomes and output indicators set at the start of the project.
- Capture lessons learnt and provide information on the project approaches identifying what has worked and what has not worked for learning.
- To assess to what extent the project achieved its formulated results (especially at output and outcome level) with target audience benefiting from the project.
- To assess the relevance and contribution of the project as a pioneer approach to the tertiary/vocational education sectors targeting refugee communities; project acceptance, adoption, and demand creation, thus creating opportunity for scale up.
- To assess the appropriateness and effectiveness of strategies, approaches and modalities used in the project to realize the intended results.
- To assess the integration of innovation themes of gender (inclusion of women and youth).
- To identify major bottlenecks and lessons learnt and document them to take into consideration for possible follow-up projects. Also assess risks of pulling out at this moment, especially for the sustainability and durability of the interventions and investments.
The methodology for this study will include both direct and indirect data collection, analysis, cross-referencing, and formulating recommendations thematically and as area/site-specific. This evaluation requires a mixed method approach that allows methodological triangulation to increase the validity and credibility of data. Participatory methods shall be used to collect both qualitative and quantitative data.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The roles and responsibilities of the consultant include:
- Desk review of relevant Project and project documents and reports such as proposals, assessments, project budgets, monitoring and assessment reports, JRS guidelines
- Establish working contacts with all the relevant stakeholders in the targeted host communities.
- Recruit data collection team if needed.
- Prepare and submit to JRS the evaluation proposal and the inception report including methodology to be used, work plans and schedules for both quantitative and qualitative aspect of the assignment for review and feedback and approval by JRS.
- Field visits to selected sites; among other surveys, interviews and/or focus group discussions with local partners, teachers, community members and other stakeholders by the consultant.
- The consultant will submit an inception report (with detailed methodology, research tools and timeline/logistics) for further discussion.
- Submission of draft evaluation report and finalize it based on the feedback from JRS team inputs.
- Submission of individual recommendations for JRS and local partners
- Make a presentation of findings to the project team in Nairobi.
JRS Roles & Responsibilities
- Briefing of the consultant by JRS Team
- Review and approve the study tools and methodology.
- Brief stakeholders about the purpose of the evaluation
- Provide all the necessary support to the consultant to ensure timely completion and compliance with the international survey standards
- Avail all the required facilitation and coordination.
- Assist in organizing meetings with stakeholders.
- Prepare and effect payment for the consultant upon completion of the assignment, according to mutually agreed on deliverables.
Terms of Service
- The payment for the consultancy service will be implemented through the JRS Kenya Country Office in Nairobi in KES by bank transfer. This will be done based on mutually set deliverable schedule between JRS Kenya and the consultant.
- The period of the assignment is one (1) month.
- 5 pages (max) letter of motivation indicating the consultants’ suitability for the assignment and match with previous work experience, qualifications etc.
- How the team will be composed and the division of work between team members
- Discussion of the work methodology to be used.
- Draft work plan and suggested timetable
- Economic offer and budget broke down.
- Provisional availability to fulfill the consultancy as per the timeframes indicated in these Terms of Reference.
- Professional profile of the evaluating team/ company (CVs of all individuals included in the consultancy team)