Under the immediate supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative for Operations (DRRO), the Country Office Security Associate (COSA) will provide advice, support and assistance on the implementation of all matters relating to the United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS). The COSA will be responsible for managing day to day security related issues affecting UNDP and OHCHR personnel, assets and operations in Kenya.
The COSA will report to and receive policy and technical guidance from the Sub Regional Security Specialist (SRSS) (or Regional Security Advisor - depending on context) for functional security matters. It is important to note that the COSA is a local national with vocational experience in security who must always conduct his/her functions in close cooperation with UNDSS.
Duties and Responsibilities
In this section list up to five primary functions/accountabilities of the position (Typically one sentence each) and examples of duties that must be performed to successfully accomplish key responsibilities.
Advisory and Policy Guidance
- Advise UNDP and OHCHR management of their security responsibilities, including participation in operational planning, and provides security inputs, including information regarding compliance with UNSMS policies, practices and procedures.
- Advise UNDP, UNV, UNCDF and OHCHR at the country level regarding the inclusion of security in the program cycle from project inception, mainstreaming security in programme/project planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and closure;
Assists in implementation of Security and Contingency Plans
- Contributes to the formulation of the country/area security plans taking into consideration particular needs of UNDP/OHCHR programme or personnel.
- Provide assistance to UNDP, UNV, UNCDF and to OHCHR in the implementation of the Country Security Plan, Contingency Plans including ensuring that all UNDP, UNCDF, UNV and OHCHR personnel are covered by relevant Security Plans.
- Assists on the security aspects of developing a functional emergency business continuity plan for the CO, in accordance with the UN Country Team business continuity plan.
- Maintain and test UNDP, UNCDF, UNV and OHCHR Communications Plan.
- Establish, administer and test the UNDP, UNCDF, UNV and OHCHR Warden Plan.
- Formulate and test UNDP specific security and contingency plans, including for fire safety.
- With inputs from relevant units/actors, such as OHR and procurement, assists in the maintenance of UNDP personnel lists including details of visiting missions.
- Facilitate security clearances as applicable for UNDP.
- In coordination with UNDSS, ensure availability of updated procedures for dealing with emergencies involving personnel in all locations/offices.
- Identify security communication equipment needs and maintain proper distribution of those equipment.
- Support efforts to ensure that UNDP, UNCDF, UNV and OHCHR personnel, offices, residences and equipment are SRM/RSM compliant.
- Supports the implementation of person centered SRM approaches where security assessments and resultant security measures and procedures are guided by a nuanced evaluation of specific threats or vulnerabilities or personnel supporting diversity and inclusion
- Support efforts to ensure that all personnel posted to UNDP, UNCDF, UNV and OHCHR have completed all mandatory security courses including BSAFE or SSAFE (where applicable) and that records of certificates are maintained with their HR Units.
- Assist in the selection and procurement of appropriate security equipment (vehicles, telecommunications equipment, etc). Monitors the procurement, deployment and functionality of the same.
- Coordinate with the DRRO, UNDSS and building occupants in implementing UNDP office security measures and procedures (access control of visitors and vehicles).
Threat & Risk Assessment/Liaison/Coordination
- In consultations with UNDSS in country, supports and/or conducts SRM Processes for the UNSMS and UNDP/OHCHR
- As applicable, provide UNDP/OHCHR specific inputs to UNDSS to assist in the preparation of SRMs in the designated/security area.
- Under the direction of the SRSS and working closely with project and programme managers, review security factors on UNDP programme design and delivery, as well as the potential impact that programmes might have on stability and security
- Under the direction of the DRRO and/or the OM, and in close cooperation with UNDSS, assists in the conducting of UNDP security risk assessments, evaluations and surveys and provides advice on shortfalls in security preparedness with recommended improvements and solutions
- Provide support on the implementation of UNSMS and UNDP Security Policies and guidelines (e.g. SRM, the UNSMS and UNDP Security Framework of Accountability, SOPs)
- In close coordination with UNDSS and under the guidance of the SRSS, maintains close contact and liaises with host Government agencies, local authorities, counterparts in UN and diplomatic missions, and other local leaders.
- Support the management of emergencies and crisis affecting UNDP/OHCHR, on a 24/7 basis, in close collaboration with UNDSS, and immediately report such incidents
Sharing Information & Other Tasks
- Provide timely and accurate security advice to all personnel
- Immediately report all security and safety related incidents involving personnel to the SRSS, UNDSS, and the DRRO/OM, Head of UNDP Somalia Support Office, OHCHR (as applicable).
- Assist in the preparation of security reports such as the Incident Reports and Weekly Reports.
- Collect, analyze, and report relevant security information for UNDP senior management and to UNDP Security Office through the SRSS, assessing security-related trends and implications on UNDP operations and personnel
- Ensures that UNDP/OHCHR programme personnel are provided with situation reports and other appropriate security related information generated by UNDSS.
- Encourage an exchange of security related information with personnel.
- Provide assistance in the conduct and follow up of investigations and incidents affecting UNDP and OHCHR.
- In close cooperation with UNDSS, provides support in organizing and conducting trainings, briefings and courses on security issues/awareness and preparedness and giving orientation to newly assigned staff members.
- Participates as a member of the Security Cell and advises UNDSS on particular concerns of UNDP and OHCHR. Represent UNDP/OHCHR in other fora as delegated on issues related to the UNSMS.
- Perform surge duties in the sub-region under the direction of the RSA/SRSS as required.
- Maintain routine and confidential correspondence files/documents related to security issues.
- Assists the Operation Manager in the preparation of draft budgets for UNMSM requests or any other security works and submit timely for approval.
- Assist UNDSS in all aspects of security management including SRM, security plans, physical security assessments and advice on residential security, among other activities.
- Perform other security-related tasks assigned by the DRRO/OM and/or RSA/SRSS.
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree or equivalent in Political Science, Military Studies, Security Management, Management or a relevant field is highly desirable, but is not a requirement.
- 6 years relevant experience in security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work.
- Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable.
- Knowledge on the use of security communication systems.
- Knowledge of host country safety codes. Knowledge of occupational safety and health desirable.
- Solid computer skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to travel
- Language requirements: Fluency in English and the language of the duty station. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.